Long Tan Day

August 18, 1966, and 100 Aussie soldiers are attacked by 1500 Viet Cong guerillas in a rubber plantation at Long Tan.

!5 Aussies were killed. The enemy were later forced to withdraw. This was Australia's most famous engagement in the Vietnam War.

This was another war which Australia most willingly followed the US into. We had a right-wing conservative government at the time.

One of our Prime Ministers during the 60's, Harold Holt said "All the way with LBJ!".

John Howard has similar sentiments now.

Our poor Vietnam Vets. Most were only boys in 1966.

Long Tan - Perhaps one the greatest examples of how a small band of determined men can defeat an enemy many times their number, and a lesson in the importance of close artillery support. If anyone is interested there are several good books on it, but as I don't have my library with me at the moment I can't help on the authors! Sorry. However, most are fasanating reading for anyone interested in operatations conducted at the Company Group, and Platoon level.

And the enemy in question were NVA regulars, much better fighters than the Viet Cong whose myth has grown thanks to Hollywood.

My apologies to all Long Tan Vets,

Enemy was NVA regs. My source was not correct.

May we all never forget what those boys achieved!

Reading many accounts of Long Tan (I must get out more!!), although all the diggers that day could be described as heros, the real gem was Company Sargeant Major Jack Kirby. Sadly, later in the war he was killed by a stray artillery shell, ironically fired by the same Kiwi battery that saved the Aussies at Long Tan. Isn't war a *****.

So raise a glass (or a VB!) for the Vets of Long Tan.

Interesting thing about Long Tan though. The OC of 6 RAR and the Commander of 1 ATF Vietnam, both recived the DSO for the Battle, but niether had even left Nui Dat on the day of the battle.

gjc said:
Long Tan - Perhaps one the greatest examples of how a small band of determined men can defeat an enemy many times their number, and a lesson in the importance of close artillery support. If anyone is interested there are several good books on it, but as I don't have my library with me at the moment I can't help on the authors! Sorry. However, most are fasanating reading for anyone interested in operatations conducted at the Company Group, and Platoon level.

And the enemy in question were NVA regulars, much better fighters than the Viet Cong whose myth has grown thanks to Hollywood.

Delta Coy, 6 RAR encountered elements of D445 Provinical Mobile Battalion and elements of 275 Regiment. Both of these units were Viet Cong not NVA.

Back