Long Distance Running tips?

Duty Honor Country

I am looking for tips from anyone who has trained consistently for half or full marathons. Anyone with triathlon experience would be excellent.

I am starting the ball rolling to complete a half Iron man by summers end. Right now I am building a cadio base through 2,000-3,000 yd swims followed by 30-40 miles of cycling and lots of stretching to prevent pulled muscles. Once my legs get use to that punishment and I get a good cardio base down, I will have to throw in running. The longest run I have ever done was 8 miles, and I have done mostly 5 milers or less in the past. 13 miles of running alone would suck. Doing it after a 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile ride is even more suck.

I am looking for advice from those that have been there and done that. Thanks

Doody

I did the LA marathon... I got up to running about 20 miles a week... I averaged about 9 minute miles over the whole course. One thing to remember, it is NOT a sprint... My time could have been better had I started out slower. I ran 7 minute miles for the first 5...oops.... dead my mile 21.

I run Cross Country, and while I never run that far, one tip for starting is not so much distance, but consistency. 20 miles in a day and then nothing for the rest of the week isn't as good as 4 miles a day for five days.

Yeah consistency and good form. If you lose form, you can injure yourself pretty good. I ran cross country and track in high school.
Make sure for long runs you are properly hydrated throughout the day. The frequent urinating might be a hassle but you'll need all that water if you're going to sweat a lot. But you probably already know that.
For the long runs (10K +), I start off almost at a walking pace and build myself up from there. It's a pretty natural transition and the walking to running happens in well under two hundred meters anyhow (probably closer to a hundred meters). The smooth transition helps me run a lot longer than if I start with a completely running start. Obviously in events like the 5K, starting in a walk is not an option (you'd lose too much ground in the beginning) but for longer runs I've used it to great effect. I find myself running much faster and for longer later on in the run when I do this.
Stretching is obviously important. Electrolytes as well.
If you're prone to over heating, then pouring some water on your head and shirt helps. I've found it to be much more effective than letting sweat do it all by itself. The added weight is negated by the advantage of a lower body temperature.
Swimming... it's technique heavy. You can be very fit but if you have poor form, you'll bleed energy like nothing else. Form counts here, probably much more so than running.
Can't tell you much about cycling though.
Sadly I am no longer in any shape to run events like marathons. :( Knees won't take it anymore. Long story. :(

I'm definitely no expert, but I find it helps to shut your mind "off" and concentrate on breathing. I think breathing is key. I take long, deep breaths, and it makes me feel like I have the stamina to go on forever. Before I used to make the mistake of not monitoring my breathing, and before I realized it I"d be practically hyperventilating

My platoon Sgt at 8th & I was a Triathlete (spelling), he would make us run crazy amounts of course. Anyway, for his training, which was every day, he would run 3-10 miles daily, but 1-3 days of the week, he would run 14-18 miles and 1 day a week, he tried to push out 20+. He practiced some of the biking and swimming too but no where near as much as the running.

For me, more than 5, let's take the Hummer, unless we're humpin.

Last edited:
I ran the Stockholm marathon once.
I decided against going back.
Your body will take a beating during these runs.

As TI said, start off slow.
Even if granny passes you in the beginning stick to your plan, it will pay off in the end.

//KJ.

Yep sound advice.
If you're going a long distance, start off practically at a walking pace and transition into a run. Believe me, it's going to be MUCH better that way.

thanks gents, my legs are too tight from this week to do much running until they heal up in a day or 2. Pulling a hammy would set me back at least a month. I will keep you all posted on my progress to being able to tolerate runs greater than 8 miles.

Doody

Back