Long distance relationships....

Do long distance relationships work?

• Total voters

CanadianCowgirl

I was just wondering what u guys thought of long distance relationships and if they are worth the hassle....I've kind of got myself in a situation here, lol. Well whatever advice you have would be great :D

look at Kris and John from series 7 of the amazing race
they are "dating long distance" and they look by and far the best couple on the show, they have supported one another and it looks like a strong relationship
as with all things though, it depends pretty much entirely on the two people, they have to be fully committed to it

It depends on the realtionship and the bond. Mine worked when was dating my wife and in the Marine Corps. It worked when I got married and was in the Deployment Tempo from hell in the early 90's. I will say that as hard as it was or I perceived it to be on me, in retrospect it had to have been hell on my wife. I was extermely lucky that I had a wife who was capable of handling the home, a toddler and an old man who was off to distant shores and keep it all in perspective and not place blame on me (as I saw happen with other Marines all to often) for being away. Although Uncle Sugar took a fair amount of abuse in her letters.

My Experience with LDR's is a rather tragic one haha. Yea, My (at the time) girlfriend and I had been together for about 6 months when I temporarily moved to New York. I thought things would be peachy, that it was pretty serious. I ended up being so involved in trying to keep the relationship together that I ignored everything around me and basically imploded on myself. In the end, she cheated on me three times, I had a pisspoor time during the 9 month LDR which could have been *well* spent if you know what I mean. It only lasted another 4 months or so after I got back and she then started seeing my was best friend.

Women man... But I would honestly have to say that it would truly depend on the amount of commitment you both are willing to put into the relationship and how much you both value it. If it's something the two of you are whole-hearted in 110%, it's definetley workable.

depends on the distance kinda...
like, a 2,000 mile relationship wouldnt work, but maybe a less than 300 mile relationship would...

nothing never works
if you are committed and actually feel something more than lust for the other person then there is a good chance it will work

speaking as someone who managed a 4 & a half year, 600km LDR it can be done.

but it WONT be easy, you will fight, not talk, do things you regret and try to pack it in cause it's all too hard....but hey, if it lasts you know it worth it.

i now live with my partner and things are great...good things are worth working for

rotc boy said:
depends on the distance kinda...
like, a 2,000 mile relationship wouldnt work, but maybe a less than 300 mile relationship would...

less than 300 miles is not really a long distance. My relationship with my wife would have been much different had the distance between us only been 300 miles instead of 1100 miles and what ever the distance to Iraq is.

THere will always be people whp say they work and ones who say don't do it. Long distance relationships are a test. Are both of you strong enough to deal with it. If you both can survive it, then you both have proven what you mean to eachother.

Now I have gotten nailed in the jimmies by a long distance relationship upon coming back from Kosovo. My GF at the time had just went off to college. After not seeing her for 7 months, I was expecting a big hug. When I got that "friendship" hug, I knew something was up. After someone said at a party "you're *****'s BF...***** has a BF, I am going to shut up now." My girl had slept with over 10 guys in a month. Lets say I think highly of women for a few months after that.

But I am married to the woman who I did not see for over a year. You win some, you lose some

Yeah you win some, you lose some.
My Canadian girlfriend and I. We were together for 2 years, stayed away for 2 years and only met twice in that period.
It will not last longer than that, in my view.

The main problem would be how close the couple is, if you're about to get engaged, i'd say it's a safe bet to stay together.

If you're a year apart and one goes to college, who cares? Get on with your life.

My ex, whom I generally refer to as "She Who Must Not Be Named, Lest She Be Summoned"...

She moved to Nfld, we got together, hot & heavy for 2 yrs. She moved back to Ontario in Oct to find work, I was going to follow a few months later, after tying up loose ends. I came out Christmas, she met me at the airport, I swear she was going to shake my hand. Turns out that we didn't really have a relationship...she had been away from her home, lonely, needy, and then "in love with being in love". Now that she was home, she didn't need me anymore. Major bummer.

My current GF/fiancee/common-law wife: we had a long-distance relationship since about '98, She lived in Toronto, I in St John's. I saw her when I went to Kingston for the summer, and visited every second weekend or so, plus for a week at the end of the summer. Last year we decided this had to go forward or go down. So I moved out here to T.O., retired from the Forces, working a civi job, and we've been living together 13 months. So far, so good. We still act like a couple of star-struck newlyweds, if that means anything.

ok....so it didn't work, lol. But we weren't together long before I had to leave so I think I'll be voting on it depends on the relationship....

From personal experience long distance relationships do not work....at least it didn't for me. Its very difficult, expensive, and over-whelming..In order for a relationship to work, both people involved need to be close by,...and its' also super easy to get distracted...:jump:

Back