"Locked out Mos's"

jaz-do

Anyone got info on this subject. I believe I know how and why it happens,but
has anyone dealt with changing Mos because of it. A second part to this is
how easy is it changing Mos afterward. Say from a 25B to a 25M;or even a
whole different series.:bang:

Are you referring to how the Army is getting rid of come mos jobs (like 42a paper work guru) or are you talking about trying to change your mos once you are in the job?

Both !

I mean both. The MOS's I have given to recruiter are #1 25M Multimedia Illustrator,#2 37F Psychological Operations,and #3 as a last resort was 92G
Food Specialsis. Those were my choices;however number one and two are
Locked out for the year my Recruiter says. Now he showed me a 25B Mos and
told me it will be easier changing from 25 to 25 later.

Some jobs I could see the Military phasing out.

Last edited:
jaz-do said:
I mean both. The MOS's I have given to recruiter are #1 25M Multimedia Illustrator,#2 37F Psychological Operations,and #3 as a last resort was 92G
Food Specialsis. Those were my choices;however number one and two are
Locked out for the year my Recruiter says. Now he showed me a 25B Mos and
told me it will be easier changing from 25 to 25 later.

Some jobs I could see the Military phasing out.

It's easier to wait and make sure you get what you want. Fiscal year starts over in October, if they really are closed, you only have to wait until then. Don't let them pressure you into doing something you don't want to do. There's no promise that you'll be able to change your MOS later.

PJ24 said:
It's easier to wait and make sure you get what you want. Fiscal year starts over in October, if they really are closed, you only have to wait until then. Don't let them pressure you into doing something you don't want to do. There's no promise that you'll be able to change your MOS later.

agreed. Once you get into an MOS, it is very hard to get out of it unless you reenlist for that MOS. If you happen to be in an MOS that is getting phased out, you MIGHT have a choice. I know 42As are becoming 88M (truck drivers). Play hardball with the recruiters. If they do not offer you what you want, and you are QUALIFIED to do that job, wait until there is an offer. Sooner or later they will make the offer. Its like buying a car when you have cash, but the dealer is offering too much. Walk away and the dealer will come acalling.

"Meps Monday the 15th"

Talked to Recruiter today.Told him it's 25M or nothing! I feel like this will be
deciding it.

He want's to go so I said ok but if the job doesn't come up I am not joining
right now.

Hotel Sunday night and Meps Monday morning!

Fox said:
What does MOS means and what does it stands for? :?

military occupational specialty...it's a fancy term for job in the military. Each branch has its own codes. Like in the army, 13 series is artillery, 11 series is infantry, 21 series is Engineer. Each job is assigned a letter. 13f is forward observer, 13b is cannon crew member, 13e is fire and directional control. The more you deal with the military, the more you will understand MOSs.

jaz-do said:
Talked to Recruiter today.Told him it's 25M or nothing! I feel like this will be
deciding it.

He want's to go so I said ok but if the job doesn't come up I am not joining
right now.

No matter what they tell you, do not let them pressure you into taking something you don't want. They will call you back and you will be able to join later. Hopefully they won't use the hardline tactics on you, but just be prepared for it. Just keep saying "25M or nothing" to yourself, it's your new mantra.

Good luck!

Doody said:
military occupational specialty...it's a fancy term for job in the military. Each branch has its own codes. Like in the army, 13 series is artillery, 11 series is infantry, 21 series is Engineer. Each job is assigned a letter. 13f is forward observer, 13b is cannon crew member, 13e is fire and directional control. The more you deal with the military, the more you will understand MOSs.

Going a bit off-topic here but just a quick question out of curiosity.. :)

Is the US Navy's "Rate" and the Air Force's "Air Force Specialty" the equivalent to the Army/Marines term "military occupational specialty" ?

Redleg said:
Going a bit off-topic here but just a quick question out of curiosity.. :)

Is the US Navy's "Rate" and the Air Force's "Air Force Specialty" the equivalent to the Army/Marines term "military occupational specialty" ?

Yup, AFSCs and Rates are just like MOSes in that they're your job code in the US military.

Waiver's good for how long?

I appreciate you guys advice,and experience.

Anyone with recent waiver's or knowledge on them! I have 2 of
them.

Question:are they only good for a month after approved. Or is this a scare
tactic of some kind?:read: Because I am 2 weeks into them being approved!

jaz-do said:
I appreciate you guys advice,and experience.

Anyone with recent waiver's or knowledge on them! I have 2 of
them.

Question:are they only good for a month after approved. Or is this a scare
tactic of some kind?:read: Because I am 2 weeks into them being approved!

A lot of waivers are good for one year, I am only familiar with a few medical ones. I don't know about others for sure, but I can't see why they would only be good for a month, though. If that were the case, they wouldn't serve a great purpose for guys that go into the DEP program.

What type of waivers do you have?

PJ24 said:
No matter what they tell you, do not let them pressure you into taking something you don't want. They will call you back and you will be able to join later. Hopefully they won't use the hardline tactics on you, but just be prepared for it. Just keep saying "25M or nothing" to yourself, it's your new mantra.

Good luck!
:stupid: what he said

jaz-do said:
IQuestion:are they only good for a month after approved. Or is this a scare

I am of little help here

Waivers

I have one for OWI thats from 17 years ago. The second is a depedent waiver
for 4 children. They have told me my security clearance is a go!

jaz-do said:
I have one for OWI thats from 17 years ago. The second is a depedent waiver
for 4 children. They have told me my security clearance is a go!

Ah, now your background check is only good for 30 days, after 30 days you have to get a new one. That's not a big deal, though, they just go to the local PD or courthouse and run one on you. With four kids, I doubt you plan on boosting car stereos or getting popped selling crack, so you're probably safe on that one. :lol:

Back