On-loan Almeida vows to make Werder move permanent

MightyMacbeth

I am Honor
LISBON, Dec 31, 2006 (AFP) - On-loan Portuguese forward Hugo Almeida has said he wants to make his move from Porto to Werder Bremen a permanent one, in an interview published in Portuguese newspaper Jornal de Noticias on Sunday.
The 22-year-old has been with the current German league leaders since the beginning of the season and is determined to stay put.
"I want to win the title with Werder Bremen and sign a contract with them. That's my aim," he said.
Bremen paid a million euros to loan the player for a season and must decide during the January transfer window whether or not to buy him outright.
"If Werder Bremen don't buy me, I'll stay to the end of the season and then return home," said Almeida, who has one cap for Portugal.
"But I want to stay at Werder Bremen because I like the team and their way of working. I also feel that they have faith in me."
Almeida has become frustrated with life at Porto, who had already sent him out on loan twice before - to Uniao Leira and Boavista.
"If I return to Porto it will be to stay definitively. If it's to get loaned out again, it would be better to cancel my contract and leave the club."
Almeida is hoping to earn a recall to Brazilian Luiz Felipe Scolari's Portugal squad.
"I know I can be the third option in attack, after Nuno Gomes and (Helder) Postiga," he said.
"I'll do my best to impress Scolari ... If I feel good in Bremen, he'll notice me."

I dont know why Almeida wants to move to the German club and get included in the Bundesliga. I know it might have more prestiege for him as a player playing in Porto, but..

Back