Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Xion

The Welsh Village of "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch" , variously spelled with between 54 and 58 letters is credited with possessing the longest place name in Great Britain, and one of the longest in the world.

Often shortened to Llanfair P.G., the name translates roughly as "Saint Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool by the red cave of Saint Tusilio"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy :cen: , I bit my tounge a 100 times trying to pronounce that in vain.

I read that in a map book I'm browsing through, just felt I might share it with you all :shock:

Does anyone from GB know more about this, I find this amazing

Just found this site
http://llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.com/

Spell it? Well maybe, but pronounce it most certainly. Gaelic is not dead by a long shot. Many speakers of the language still in Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Even some in Brittany (province of France).

Wow, it'd take awhile to say wouldn't it? lol, I thought he wrote that as the title just to catch people's attention, lol

I've heard about that place before, however, I've never made an attempt to pronounce it.

Holy Hell , what about this one ?

Gorsafawddachaidraigodanheddogleddollonpenrhynareurdraethceredigion

The Fairbourne & Barmouth Steam Railway was originally built in 1885 by Arthur McDougall
(of McDougall's flour) who made many Improvements and brought new locomotives to Fairbourne.
The old “golf halt” was renamed Gorsafawddachaidraigodanheddogleddollonpenrhynareurdraethceredigion
as an attempt to get into the Guinness Book of Records by making it the station with the longest name.

And this one ....

And finally, sadly even the 67 character allowance for a .com domain name is still insufficient for the town of

Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipukapihimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuaakitanarahu

in New Zealand with a staggering 92 characters however even this seems positively tiny compared to the town of

And finally the daddy of all names..

Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit
... means city of angels :shock:
in Thailand which is a whopping 163 characters long ,However whilst
the New Zealand place name is recognised by the Guiness Book of Record, the Thailand name is not.

And finally, sadly even the 67 character allowance for a .com domain name is still insufficient for the town of

Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipukapihimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuaakitanarahu

Its a hill not a town.
:)

Incidently the reason the Thai name is not recognised by the Guiness book of records is because it isn't used as an official indication of the city.

Any particular reasons for tremendously long names? I believe that in some cases in several cultures, to have a longer name indicates great importance.

Well in the New Zealand case my understanding is that the name comes from and action within Maori mythology therefore it is more a description with the spaces between words removed rather than a singlw word with a meaning.

Xion said:

Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit
the New Zealand place name is recognised by the Guiness Book of Record, the Thailand name is not.

Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit = Los Angeles ?

the New Zealand place name is recognised by the Guiness Book of Record, the Thailand name is not

probably because the thai alphabet uses less characters than the welsh language, the name here is phonetic, so i guess it doesn't count

behemoth79 said:
Xion said:

Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit = Los Angeles ?
That is so a reason to move to Los Angeles so that you can write that sucker in the city blank.

Back