A little help please

Metal Head

I am currently a junior in high school and am looking at going to college to get a degree, while taking ROTC. The Army and Marines have always seemed most appealing to me, but I have heard different points of view from former marines and soldiers. I really don't want points of view saying one is better anymore. I am looking for reasons why it would be more beneficial for me to go Army or Marine Corps. I have always wanted to serve my country in some way. I'm just not sure who to ask or how to go about asking these things. Maybe I'm not even being clear, but can anyone help please? Thank you.

I have been on both sides, kind of, USMC and USANG. I would say it would depend what you want out of your career. What do you really want out of a miloitary career?

I really don't know what I want out of it. It's just kind of my dream, even though that may sound naive. It's really the only thing I have ever been intrested in doing after seeing all the men I know and where the military got them; a succesful life.

I served in the Army, and am currently an officer in the Marine Corps. There are fundemental differences between the two services, but the major ones will occur within the MOS or job. If you haven't already, you should find out which MOS interests you.

RnderSafe said:
I served in the Army, and am currently an officer in the Marine Corps. There are fundemental differences between the two services, but the major ones will occur within the MOS or job. If you haven't already, you should find out which MOS interests you.

Where would I be able to find a list of MOS' for both branches?

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
Metal Head said:
All I know is... I love guns. I'm an NRA member too. :p

Not a good reason to put your life on the line.....and military service is much more than loving guns, much more....

I was kidding, settle down cowboy. :p I don't see it as putting my life on the line anyways. We all die some time.

Your love of guns is a good reason to join a gun club not a good reason to join the military.

A good reason to join the military is because you want to be part of the force that protects the country you live in and love.

Signing up for any branch is noble and respectable, it is however putting your life on the line. Think about all the people that have died for the US in the many different wars and conflicts we have fought. How many of those people do you think planned on dying for their country? My guess would be that none of them planned on dying, but when duty called and danger was in their face they stood their and fought to the death for what they swore to protect.

My advice is figure out what you want to do and then go talk to a recruiter from each and every branch. But you must decide why you want to join and convince yourself that you will uphold your promise to protect the country and the fact that you might face danger some day.

I was kidding, settle down cowboy. I don't see it as putting my life on the line anyways. We all die some time.

You might want to take a few steps back, hero. Those that are going to be answering your questions already have time in the service, they have already been where you can only dream to go. You'll want to remember that when asking questions and making responses. Get serious and show some respect, or stop wasting our time.

Thank you RnderSafe. I was already upset. You put your life on the line in the military every single day whether it be in war or in training and if your are willin to do that keep your butt at home watchin cartoons.

RnderSafe said:
I was kidding, settle down cowboy. I don't see it as putting my life on the line anyways. We all die some time.

You might want to take a few steps back, hero. Those that are going to be answering your questions already have time in the service, they have already been where you can only dream to go. You'll want to remember that when asking questions and making responses. Get serious and show some respect, or stop wasting our time.

Put much more eloquently than I could muster.....

I'm sorry If I offended any of you. I should have said that differently. I was told that most people who join the service never see any combat, and while they are risking their lives in a way, most of the time it's not directly. Maybe I'm wrong. I didn't mean to come off as an *******. :cry:

Lemme tell you, it depends on what you want out of your college experience. I was awarded a full ride scholarship from the Army. But I wanted to party, you can't do both. TRUST ME

It is NOT a good idea to do this while in ROTC. You have a standard to uphold, that means you have to behave yourself. I saw fellow cadet's lose their scholarship because of drinking and partying.

If you want to be in the Army or Marines and don't care about having a social life in college, then the ROTC is for you.

But if you want to have fun and party a lot. Then do not go the ROTC route. Go reserves or national guard then OSC after college.

Not to mention if you go ROTC and you decide by your 3 year you don't want to do it anymore. You have to pay back your scholarship or enlist.

I just talked to a girl who went all four years but didn't pass advance camp, she went to the same private university I went to. 80K she was told she had to pay back or she'd have to enlist as a private.

Know all the facts about the school and your cadre, what your responsibilites as a cadet are, and make sure you can keep up with the PT.

And you don't get to play with "guns". In the Army as much as it is in the Marines I am sure. You are issued a rifle, not a gun.

Back