Listen to Your Mother...

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
WHEN I came back to the States after a tour of duty with the Marines in Vietnam, I stayed with my parents for a 30-day leave. Mom's rules were simple: I could come and go as I pleased, but I must let her know when I returned home each night. After one long evening with friends, I crept into the house and didn't knock on Mom's door. Late the next morning when I came down to breakfast, she glared at me with icy silence. "Look, Mom," I said, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you I got home safely last night, but what did you do all the time I was in Vietnam?"

"Well," she replied, "at least then I knew where you were!"

--Contributed to "Humor In Uniform" by Bill Bruckner

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

Ed. Note: I've always said my mom outranks any four-star Admiral out there. :lol:

This may sound like kinda black humor, but when we had buried my dad, and the family was left at the end of the burial service to look at his grave there was this long period of quiet as we were left in our thoughts. Nobody was eager to say it was time to leave. So my mother broke the silence and told us it was time to go in her own "special way". First, you have to know that my dad was almost never on time for dinner and never called to say he'd be late among many other such instances. Mom said, "Well at last I finally know where he is!" and we all had a good laugh at that, got in our cars and left.

Charge 7 said:
This may sound like kinda black humor, but when we had buried my dad, and the family was left at the end of the burial service to look at his grave there was this long period of quiet as we were left in our thoughts. Nobody was eager to say it was time to leave. So my mother broke the silence and told us it was time to go in her own "special way". First, you have to know that my dad was almost never on time for dinner and never called to say he'd be late among many other such instances. Mom said, "Well at last I finally know where he is!" and we all had a good laugh at that, got in our cars and left.
This deserves its own thread. Great story, Charge.

Back