Lions in the darkness

--
Boots

October 22nd, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Topic: Lions in the darkness

I was emailed this picture by a buddy.

The people in the photograph on safari in Botswana didn't notice the lions until the camera flash went off.

I bet they jumped about a bit lol.
October 22nd, 2011  
Sevens

I would have screamed like Fay Wray......
October 22nd, 2011  
jillyz12

Wow. That's enough to make your blood run cold, eh? They are gorgeous though, aren't they? They look very relaxed, not at all menacing. Maybe they had just eaten?
--
Boots
October 23rd, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyz12
Wow. That's enough to make your blood run cold, eh? They are gorgeous though, aren't they? They look very relaxed, not at all menacing. Maybe they had just eaten?
The way they were dispersed, they were actually hunting. If they hadn't been spotted, the tourists would have ended up as a turd in the grass.
October 23rd, 2011  
eTe

Wow they got close... Hah what luck on the tourist behalf.
October 24th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

A number of tourists are/were killed by lion in Botswana every year. As far as I am aware, the Botswana government imposed a strict restriction on tourists that they must take a registered guide with them.

I've taken few photographs of lions, all of which were either from the cab of my pickup or using a very long range lens.

The best (or worst depending on your point of view) story in the press was a tourist who got out of his car next to a pride of lion, then he tried to pet one of the cubs. I don't even know if his socks survived, if they did, that was all that was left of him. If his family wanted his remains, they would have to wait until he passed through the lions digestive system.
October 24th, 2011  
03USMC

I woulda shart.
October 25th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I woulda shart.
It sort of brings new meaning when someone sometime in his past called him a "Little turd." How right they were in the end.
October 25th, 2011  
senojekips

I must send that to my son, he worked in KNP as a guide for a year or so.
October 25th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
I must send that to my son, he worked in KNP as a guide for a year or so.
Brilliant, although I don't envy him, I've seen how stupid some tourists act. It wasn't a well paid job either, but it did have other perks for those who love the bush. Did he get his PH? I can't remember if getting a PH is part of becoming a guide.

Ask him if he knew about a European family who lived in the bush in the north of KNP who studied a pride of lion. Apparently the pride got to know the family so well, the lioness left their cubs with them while they hunted. I'm sure I saw it on TV a few years ago.