Lions in the darkness

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
I was emailed this picture by a buddy.

The people in the photograph on safari in Botswana didn't notice the lions until the camera flash went off.

I bet they jumped about a bit lol.

Last edited:
Wow. That's enough to make your blood run cold, eh? They are gorgeous though, aren't they? They look very relaxed, not at all menacing. Maybe they had just eaten? :D

Wow. That's enough to make your blood run cold, eh? They are gorgeous though, aren't they? They look very relaxed, not at all menacing. Maybe they had just eaten? :D

The way they were dispersed, they were actually hunting. If they hadn't been spotted, the tourists would have ended up as a turd in the grass.

A number of tourists are/were killed by lion in Botswana every year. As far as I am aware, the Botswana government imposed a strict restriction on tourists that they must take a registered guide with them.

I've taken few photographs of lions, all of which were either from the cab of my pickup or using a very long range lens.:camo:

The best (or worst depending on your point of view) story in the press was a tourist who got out of his car next to a pride of lion, then he tried to pet one of the cubs. I don't even know if his socks survived, if they did, that was all that was left of him. If his family wanted his remains, they would have to wait until he passed through the lions digestive system.

Last edited:
I must send that to my son, he worked in KNP as a guide for a year or so.

Brilliant, although I don't envy him, I've seen how stupid some tourists act. It wasn't a well paid job either, but it did have other perks for those who love the bush. Did he get his PH? I can't remember if getting a PH is part of becoming a guide.

Ask him if he knew about a European family who lived in the bush in the north of KNP who studied a pride of lion. Apparently the pride got to know the family so well, the lioness left their cubs with them while they hunted. I'm sure I saw it on TV a few years ago.

Brilliant, although I don't envy him, I've seen how stupid some tourists act. It wasn't a well paid job either, but it did have other perks for those who love the bush. Did he get his PH? I can't remember if getting a PH is part of becoming a guide.

Ask him if he knew about a European family who lived in the bush in the north of KNP who studied a pride of lion. Apparently the pride got to know the family so well, the lioness left their cubs with them while they hunted. I'm sure I saw it on TV a few years ago.
Not as far as I know, if he did he never said anything, but that's not unusual as trying to get news out of Allan is like pulling teeth. The only "hunting" that he spoke about, was when he was working with the anti-poaching people. He used to do all sorts, mainly based in Jo'burg where he worked on and off doing security work. Then he'd go to Hoedspruit for a bit of a break where he had some friends who talked him into going on these walking safaris with a .458

When his visa was due for renewal he used to go to Mozambique doing anything from farmhouse protection to lifting mines.

4621191a.jpg

He's the one with the snake.

Last edited:
Not as far as I know, if he did he never said anything, but that's not unusual as trying to get news out of Allan is like pulling teeth. The only "hunting" that he spoke about, was when he was working with the anti-poaching people. He used to do all sorts, mainly based in Jo'burg where he worked on and off doing security work. Then he'd go to Hoedspruit for a bit of a break where he had some friends who talked him into going on these walking safaris with a .458

When his visa was due for renewal he used to go to Mozambique doing anything from farmhouse protection to lifting mines.

4621191a.jpg

He's the one with the snake.

The anti poaching teams did a good job, not a job for the faint hearted. Most organisations in SA are pretty Mickey Mouse, but the SA Parks are up there among the best.

One of my ex customers was a top nob of the SA National Parks. In his younger years he trained new rangers straight from university. He tamed one fella by telling him that as the 458 is a bit of a kicker, he had better lean his back against the front wheel of the Land Rover. Apparently the colour drained from his face. He was also the local magistrate with a sense of humour!

As for farmhouse protection and lifting mines, I'd hazard a guess and say that your lad did time in the military.

I don't recognise the snake he's holding, having said that, I'm no expert. If it slithers and hisses, as far as I'm concerned, its dangerous.

The anti poaching teams did a good job, not a job for the faint hearted. Most organisations in SA are pretty Mickey Mouse, but the SA Parks are up there among the best.

One of my ex customers was a top nob of the SA National Parks. In his younger years he trained new rangers straight from university. He tamed one fella by telling him that as the 458 is a bit of a kicker, he had better lean his back against the front wheel of the Land Rover. Apparently the colour drained from his face. He was also the local magistrate with a sense of humour!

As for farmhouse protection and lifting mines, I'd hazard a guess and say that your lad did time in the military.

I don't recognise the snake he's holding, having said that, I'm no expert. If it slithers and hisses, as far as I'm concerned, its dangerous.
He did nine years in the army the last three of which were as an armourer in the SAS, he elected to be discharged after a training accident made him unfit to continue with the regiment. He'd met a Rhodesian guy who was doing security work in Jo'burg and went over there, he loved it, but on one of the safaris, a lovely young Aussie girl took a liking to him, courting him from afar for several years.

We always thought that Allan was a lost cause as far as getting married, and that one day we would get a Cop knocking on the door to tell us that he'd come to a sticky end in some shithole somewhere in the world. Well, it wasn't to be and now I have a very talented daughter in law and two delightful Grand children, which makes me a lot happier.

Allan said that the .458 recoil was "solid" but not particularly unpleasant, but I hesitate to think about the shoulder of the bloke who leaned against the Landrover wheel, that has the possibility of some real damage.

Last edited:
They look as if they are laying down. None of them appear to be crouching as if stalking but bellies on the dirt.

They look as if they are laying down. None of them appear to be crouching as if stalking but bellies on the dirt.
That was my impression too, but I wouldn't trust my judgment too far in this case. I reckon if anyone went over to the wood pile they'd be an entree.

He did nine years in the army the last three of which were as an armourer in the SAS

Ah, no more need be said. Something like only 10% of candidates get to wear the winged dagger.

Because of the new gun laws here, new firearm applicants have to go through a training course, which includes live firing. One of our candidates was ex 22 Squadron SAS. The only thing we could teach him, was how the law regarding firearms worked. At times it got embarrassing.

He'd met a Rhodesian guy who was doing security work in Jo'burg and went over there

That's one of the very few industries taking off in South Africa

he loved it, but on one of the safaris, a lovely young Aussie girl took a liking to him, courting him from afar for several years..

The net was closing lol.

We always thought that Allan was a lost cause as far as getting married,

Same with my boy, he says he's saving himself

and that one day we would get a Cop knocking on the door to tell us that he'd come to a sticky end in some shithole somewhere in the world.

It doesn't matter how old our offspring get, we can't stop worrying about them. My mum started to panic when there were riots in Singapore in the late 1960's. I told her that she was in more danger crossing the road. Wasn't you at the RN base during the time of those riots?

Well, it wasn't to be and now I have a very talented daughter in law and two delightful Grand children, which makes me a lot happier.

My son said that if he gets married he wants my Jaguar as a wedding present.

Allan said that the .458 recoil was "solid" but not particularly unpleasant, but I hesitate to think about the shoulder of the bloke who leaned against the Landrover wheel, that has the possibility of some real damage.

from what I hear, it calmed him down quite a bit. I must admit, I'm not a fan of kickers. A chap I know isn't happy unless a rifle kicks the crap out of him, then again he liked playing with explosives in the old SA Army, he had to be some sort of retard.

Last edited:

Lioness are very patient, sneaky and extremely clever when hunting, they stalk until they find the best spot to attack from then settle down for the "right" time, sometimes for hours. They all seem to know when to start the attack, then act as one. They have been known to drive game into other lioness laying in wait.

I'd bet a pound to a penny that next morning they found lioness tracks around their camp site.

A British tourist was eaten a few years ago, when he left his tent flap open at night. A lioness dragged him out of the tent with him in his sleeping bag.

Another man and wife tourist were asleep in their roof top tent on top of their rented Land Rover, when the wife felt something pat her on the head. She muttered to hubby to "pack it in." Hubby muttered back "It wasn't me." They sat up saw the walls of the tent being pushed and the sound of breathing outside. Terrified they cuddled up too scared to sleep. Next morning they found lion tracks around their Land Rover. Apparently a lioness got curious, stood on her rear legs and began to study and pat the roof top tent.

Last edited:
Back