Like The New U.S. Army Uniform?

Very practical. Finally no unbuttoned buttons. :lol:

One minor thing though. I bet the 1st CAV boys won't like it. I don't see how they're going to fit that huge patch of their's on that pocket.

Just reflecting, you know you're an old war horse when you've been through three major issues of fatigues. I'll be looking forward to the new uniform though. Velcro here I come!

For my own personal opinion, I play paintball. And for my terrain I much prefer my CADPAT(?) U.S. Marines BDU.

Although I do love the zipper/velcro/pocket layout of the Army BDU.

Charge_7 said:
Very practical. Finally no unbuttoned buttons. :lol:

One minor thing though. I bet the 1st CAV boys won't like it. I don't see how they're going to fit that huge patch of their's on that pocket.

Just reflecting, you know you're an old war horse when you've been through three major issues of fatigues. I'll be looking forward to the new uniform though. Velcro here I come!

Well there's one thing my cav buddies have always been particularly good at and that's coming up with unique iterations of the uniform :lol: I like the fact that they're including a patrol cap as an option. The velcroed patches and pin on rank will make life easier as will the wrinkle free feature.
I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the new uniform when I make my shopping trips to the exchange.

I like the fact that you can snatch the rank insignia off in a second. No need helping the enemy snipers. :sniper:

i like it, some real time and effort thinking up new solutions, they've seen what soldiers in the field are doing to their uniforms anyway, and incorporated that into a completely new uniform,

nice to see that they have thought about the price factor too!

have to say, i'm sure it's effective camo, but i don't like the colour!

Army Combat Uniform / ACU

There's a good reason for the color. Here's the deal on the color.

There were 20 changes made to the uniform, to include removing the color black and adapting the digital print from the Marine Corps uniform to meet the needs of the Army, said Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Myhre, the Clothing and Individual Equipment noncommissioned officer in charge.

Black is no longer useful on the uniform because it is not a color commonly found in nature. The drawback to black is that its color immediately catches the eye, he added.

"The color scheme in the ACU capitalizes on the environments that we operate in," Myhre said. "The current colors on the ACU are green-woodland, grey-urban environments and sand brown-desert. The pattern is not a 100-percent solution in every environment, but a good solution across the board."

"This isn't about a cosmetic redesign of the uniform," said Col. John Norwood, the project manager for Clothing and Individual Equipment. "It's a functionality change of the uniform that will improve the ability of Soldiers to execute their combat mission."

http://www4.army.mil/news/article.php?story=6042

Re: Army Combat Uniform / ACU

DTop said:
There's a good reason for the color. Here's the deal on the color.

There were 20 changes made to the uniform, to include removing the color black and adapting the digital print from the Marine Corps uniform to meet the needs of the Army, said Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Myhre, the Clothing and Individual Equipment noncommissioned officer in charge.

Black is no longer useful on the uniform because it is not a color commonly found in nature. The drawback to black is that its color immediately catches the eye, he added.

"The color scheme in the ACU capitalizes on the environments that we operate in," Myhre said. "The current colors on the ACU are green-woodland, grey-urban environments and sand brown-desert. The pattern is not a 100-percent solution in every environment, but a good solution across the board."

"This isn't about a cosmetic redesign of the uniform," said Col. John Norwood, the project manager for Clothing and Individual Equipment. "It's a functionality change of the uniform that will improve the ability of Soldiers to execute their combat mission."

http://www4.army.mil/news/article.php?story=6042

valid points too, i have personally found that too. i have both the US pattern BDU's and British/NZ style DPM's, i found the DPMs (with no black) offer better concelment.

all in all, i think the new uniform is a vast improvment

I have always maintained that velcro on a military uniform is unwise. It wears out too quick and the main concern I have is the sound...scrrrrretttchhh...on a quiet night when you are trying to maintain a unseen/unheard OP/LP or you are attempting some form of stealth and you pocket gets caught on a branch or limb. And in doing so you have given you position away. Other than that I think it is pretty good.

Valid points, CavScout. I wonder what might've been done about the sound? I should think something could be done about that either by changing the shape of the hooks that grasp or the material itself. As for wearing out, well as long as it can have a replacement readily sewn in that's no big deal. Buttons pop off all the time of course.

I have always maintained that velcro on a military uniform is unwise. It wears out too quick and the main concern I have is the sound...scrrrrretttchhh...on a quiet night when you are trying to maintain a unseen/unheard OP/LP or you are attempting some form of stealth and you pocket gets caught on a branch or limb. And in doing so you have given you position away. Other than that I think it is pretty good.

I had just finished my reply suggesting magnets -- then I remembered compasses. D'OH!! :oops: {edit edit edit}

But what about stitching down the side edges of the pocket-flap, so the pocket has a sort of "Glad bag fold-lock top" configuration?

I don't see why they cant make a quieter velcro. If you've ever gotten burrs on your combat sweater or combat glove liners, you know that (1) they are a beggar to pull off easily and (2) they make little noise. We just have to get technology to more closely approximate nature.

Or how about making the fasteners out of cat hair? That stuff sticks to uniforms like nobody's business. Just ask your troop sergeant. ;)

The more i watch the video the more i cant wait, rumor mills already crunching out april for us to put them on. we had the debate about velcro when the army times first published about the new uniform and we asked are selfs how much is noise concealment is really a issue. even working with the 82nd airborne primarily every thing is done with vehicles. even when we did ambushes if the enemy got close enough undetected to hear your velcro then you have failed. most of the fighting isn't taking place man to man are greatest ally is standoff wich we gain by superior firepower and technology. even when the fighting does get man to man wich i never participated in it seemed like there was enough noise that velcro was the least of any one's worries. Thats my opinion based on my experiences in a brigade recon troop. I wonder what the light guys think of the velcro?

sleepyscout said:
The more i watch the video the more i cant wait, rumor mills already crunching out april for us to put them on. we had the debate about velcro when the army times first published about the new uniform and we asked are selfs how much is noise concealment is really a issue. even working with the 82nd airborne primarily every thing is done with vehicles. even when we did ambushes if the enemy got close enough undetected to hear your velcro then you have failed. most of the fighting isn't taking place man to man are greatest ally is standoff wich we gain by superior firepower and technology. even when the fighting does get man to man wich i never participated in it seemed like there was enough noise that velcro was the least of any one's worries. Thats my opinion based on my experiences in a brigade recon troop. I wonder what the light guys think of the velcro?

I dont know about now, but I remember hearing a Zippo lighter open up from at least 300ft away one night in W. Germany. Sound travels in the woods at night in winter. It's always when you want the silence you dont get it and in this case you won't even have the option. But hey if it works out, more power to the folks using 'em... :camo:

Speaking as a former light scout, I would say it depends on the theater of operation and the mission as to how concerned you would be about silence. As a pointman on foot patrol in Vietnam, you can bet I was very concerned with silencing everything we carried with us. We'd either remove or tape up the slings on our M-16s, tape up our dog tags and every metal buckle and clip we could. It's the same reason we'd wear our "soft caps" in lieu of our "steel pots". We'd jump up and down before we went on patrol as a final noise check. Obviously, when patrolling in our vehicles, steel pots and flak jackets were the rule.
I think I could live with the velcro on the uniform if the uniform provides more camouflage and more pockets to carry more ammo. The way I see it, by the time I have to open one of those pockets the dance is already on and I'm just delivering more ammo to the enemy. Who's going to hear the velcro? Just my opinion.

Charge_7 said:
I like the fact that you can snatch the rank insignia off in a second. No need helping the enemy snipers. :sniper:

Makes it a whole lot easier on the 1st Shirt after those Article 15's too.

"Gimmie those chevrons!" scccccccccrrrrrrrrrraaaaattttttch :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You taking lessons from Redneck? There goes my soda out my nose again!

My unit is due to get them sometime in May. We had a brief where the civilian company who makes them answered all our questions. Also, B CO wore them in JRTC. I believe the quote was "it is like wearing pj's."

As the velcro, I do not like it. The official reason why there is velcro is to increase the life of a patch. In 8 years of service, I have yet to have a patch die on me. I have a better chance of losing a patch or name tape when it is off my uniform then if still sewn on.

The green name tapes really stand out. At 150 meters, you see is green rectangles. I kinda with the army made the name tapes like the USMC, with the same pattern as the camo.

I am going to pass the notion of the Article 15 thing on to higher. I am sure to get a ruse out of that one :D

Butons are the best, velcro does not help, I liked the old collar, and guess what you can't use vehicle is a forest, and then you say burn the forest, instead of using the troops, I'd rather use the ground pounders because they know how much force is needed. And that uniform in general isn't the prettiest thing.

Back