Light Tanks - Page 9

--

December 25th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Is it? I thought their light was the Scimetar.

Ooops, my bad. The US made is the Stingray.
December 26th, 2004  
chewie_nz

Alvis Scorpion Light Tank, 1974

The Scorpion was introduced into Service in 1973, and withdrawn from service in 1994. It is made from aluminium and mounts a 76 mm gun. The box to the left of the gun contained a night sight for observing enemy movements during hours of darkness. It also mounts grenade dischargers so that if necessary a smoke screen could be quickly produced.

This would enable the tank to get out of an area under cover of smoke if its position was discovered. Scorpion was a highly mobile vehicle and could travel rapidly across rough ground. Because it was light, it was far less likely than most other vehicles to get stuck in soft ground.

December 28th, 2004  
bushpig1998

Does it have to be a tank? I mean, Light Tanks are used for recon, aren't they? I would say something like a Ratel with a recoilless anti tank weapon mounted. It is super fast, can go almost anywhere, has run flat capability and is better armored than a bradly, then again, so is my volvo
--
December 29th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I'm seeing two important possible missions for Light Tanks -- nonurban recon and urban recon. I'm not entirely sure that you'd want the same AFV or tank for both missions, but ideally you'd want a AFV to handle both. To fulfill the role of fast recon, it needs to be good on rough terrain. The Stryker probably isn't good enough in that category. It would need to be very fast. The M1 and Bradley are too slow IMHO. The Stryker has very good speed.

Maybe its a matter of developing a downsized version of the Stryker (something that isn't such a big target). Such a version would also need to be more versatile on rough terrain. Seems like an easy enough thing to develop. I'm not entirely sure if that's the direction that the US Military wants to go of course.
December 29th, 2004  
bushpig1998

During the Bush war in Angola and domestic disturbances in South Africa, the SA Police used Ratels, Buffels and Casspirs very effeciently. I know that the Ratel was one of the most feared vehicles during Angola - mostly because the Cubans couldn't nail it - it just moved too fast. It was quiet, could go almost anywhere and had triple mine resistance. The best part of it was that you could mount many different types of weapons on it. It was also resistant to most small arms fire. In this case, I would agree with you, something like a downsized Stryker would go good. The Bradley, I'm sorry to say, is just to slow and lightly armored.
December 29th, 2004  
SHERMAN

I wouldent want to be in any of them during urban fighting. much rather a slower and heavily armored vehicle.
December 29th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The main problem with the Bradley filling such a role is that its big. In the capacity of APC, that's inevitable. The same is true of the Stryker. Both are available in several weapons configurations -- certainly essential for a modern light tank/AFV concept.

I think I'd much rather be in a well armored vehicle in urban warfare than being partly or completely exposed (in a standard Humvee for instance). If the worst happens, you still have a very high probability of survival if I'm in ... something with protection equal to a Stryker or Bradley. If something is sufficient to kill the crew of one of those, there is no Humvee variant on the planet that would have stood any chance at all.
December 29th, 2004  
SHERMAN

one word: Achzarit
December 29th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
one word: Achzarit
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapo.../Achzarit.html

Looks good. What is the primary use for them by IDF?
December 30th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Achzarit was meant to be used as a well protected APC, to be used by the prime mech-inf units. its based on the T-54/55.
today its used mainly in Gaza because its so heavily protected.

this is kind of offtopic though, because the Achzarit is not a tank and not light(44 tons)....