Light Tanks - Page 5

--

November 1st, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
Isnt America working on a light tank at the moment?
It was. The M8 Armored Gun System was to enter service in 98 I believe, but was cancelled to fund the Stryker program. From what I hear the little thing was really good, had a nice 105mm gun, good protection, and good mobility.

It was to replace the Sheridan light tanks, which have been in service since Vietnam and kind of suck. They are only in service with 82nd in small numbers.

The current incarnation of the light tank in the US army is the Stryker MGS.

http://globalsecurity.org/military/s...und/m8-ags.htm
November 1st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

Its not a tank but its light and goes really fast, can carry troops and even has a medical style one. I dont know the name its new for the US
November 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The M8 AGS Buford isn't really much of a light tank. The only advantage is compactness for airborne ops. Otherwise, its useless. As you could read from earlier in the thread, the M8 has exactly the same top speed as the Bradley and older M1 Abrams -- 45mph.
--
November 1st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

if we are thinking the same thing then it also helps with wounded troops
November 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Similar to this, right? http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-vehlavmgs1.htm
November 1st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

not totaly, shape seems alike but its not an actual tank it has MG's
November 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, if you can find the data and link it here, that would be very good of you.
November 1st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

i will try as soon as possible
November 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

Yup that's the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
November 1st, 2004  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Why is the TOW being compared to the Javelin? They fit two different roles. The TOW being a heavy anti-tank weapon while the Javelin is a medium anti-tank weapon.

The tank is question was not fitted with reactive armor. The tank was packed with explosives as well which greatly increased the effect of the Javelin.
If you read the article in the news, TOWS and JAVELINS as well as tank fire were both used to disassemble the stronghold of Uday and Qusay(sp?)
and a lot depends on the particular warhead. Just like the M-79 grenade launcher, different types of rounds can be used.

I have a field film clip of the Javelin shot if anyone would like to judge for yourself. This particular clip is declassified.