Light Tanks - Page 12

--

January 17th, 2005  
SHERMAN

well, you all realize that this arnt tanks...they are all wheeled.
January 17th, 2005  
USAFAUX2004

light, armoured vehicles
January 18th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Who cares if it's on wheels? Is it armored? Does it have a gun (105mm and up I guess)? Transportable? Then you got yourself a light tank.
--
January 18th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
well, you all realize that this arnt tanks...they are all wheeled.
Well, it seems that wheels offers some options that tracks don't. Speed and the option for greater stealth. Quicker and easier repair.

The wheels instead of tracks opens some vunerabilities to small arms fire that tracks wouldn't have.
January 18th, 2005  
bushpig1998

The Rooikat can travel at 120 km per hour. It is transportable at 28 tonnes, it has a low recoil 105 mm gun and is armored. It can fjord a 2meter hole and has central inflation on all tyres as well as run flat options. I've seen these puppies on manueveres and I can tell you, it is impressive. The speed and armor aspect of it alone, makes it ideal for sandy situations - such as africa or middle east. Tracks are great when dealing with mud and slow moving advances, but when you need a lot of HE fast, wheeled is the way to go.
January 19th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Sounds like we may have a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpig1998
The Rooikat can travel at 120 km per hour. It is transportable at 28 tonnes, it has a low recoil 105 mm gun and is armored. It can fjord a 2meter hole and has central inflation on all tyres as well as run flat options. I've seen these puppies on manueveres and I can tell you, it is impressive. The speed and armor aspect of it alone, makes it ideal for sandy situations - such as africa or middle east. Tracks are great when dealing with mud and slow moving advances, but when you need a lot of HE fast, wheeled is the way to go.
January 19th, 2005  
bushpig1998

This was designed back in the early 80's and the design was shelved till recently. It is only now coming about and the SA army will deploy them shortly. Lets see how long it takes the army to ruin these fine vehicles as well... hehehehhe
January 21st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Apparntly the Stryker can have some troubles with extremely rough terrain. How does the Rooikat do in that category?

I suppose that in your worst case terrain situation, the vehicle of choice for the roughest of terrain is probably a MBT or something else tracked.
January 22nd, 2005  
Bob7

Many Countries have replaced their light tanks with wheeled Reconnaissance Vehicles.
France Builds many of them:

The erc 90
Argentina, Iraq,Ivory Coast, Gabon, Niger, Mexico ,Chad

Vextra 105

it is used by france and the uae

Amx10r

It is used by
France morroco and Qatar

Also Brazil built the ee-9 Cascavell

It is used by Brazil,Bolivia,Columbia,Chile, cyprus, Libya, Qartar, Iraq, Iran, Peru, Paraguay Ecuador Zimbabwe, Nigeria and ghana

The Italian centauro

Used by italy and spain

The south African Rooikat thats been mentioned

Also many Swiss piranah iis and iiis have been modified with 105mm turrets

It is used by a few countries

Also Canada Has the 76mm cougar
January 24th, 2005  
bushpig1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Quote:
Apparntly the Stryker can have some troubles with extremely rough terrain. How does the Rooikat do in that category?

I suppose that in your worst case terrain situation, the vehicle of choice for the roughest of terrain is probably a MBT or something else tracked.
The Rooikat was built using many of the technology used on the Ratel And Caspirr (both proven very well in combat against Cuba and Angola). From what I've seen and read, the rooikat has exceptional off road capability. It can fjord up to 2 meter wide dongas and has a fairly low COG. Personally, if I know i'm going to fight agains older soviet tanks, I'd equip my entire armored division with these. It doesn't have very heavy armor, but it is very accurate and fast! That makes up for it, especially if you are fighting against poorly trained troops with non-computerized firing systems - which happens to be almost all armies in Africa.