Light Tanks - Page 10

--

December 31st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

True, but it fills the need for Urban Reconaissance apparently. For Urban situations, I don't know if your really need a main gun (and that one doesn't have one). It has a low profile and well thought out armoring. An Urban specialized light would probably be best designed similar to that.

Rural recon is a completely differnet matter of course.
December 31st, 2004  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
one word: Achzarit
one word; wow!
December 31st, 2004  
r031Button

Actually I think light tansk are ideal for Patrols during peace support/stabilization operations. Think of it; it has the proetection you need, displays force, but at the same time, it's not as intimidating as a 50 tonne MBT.
--
December 31st, 2004  
SHERMAN

Achzarit cant be used where you wa nt to keep the roads in one peace. It is too heay and it shreads any road it drives on. however, if you dont care about the roads, its very good. It weighs 44 tons, which is 8 tons more than the T-55, even though they removed the turret....that means there is a whole bunch of armor there...If you compare it to the T-55s hull yo find that there are 17 tonns of extra armor on the achzarit.

What i would love to have is an Achzarit version with a 20 milimeter cannon and a ATGM launcher.

Another ideal vehicle for urban warfare is the Nagmachon:
http://israeli-weapons.com/weapons/v...Nagmachon.html

But again, this is not light at all.

All of this proves my pointthat in urban warare there is no place for light tanjks or light APCs.
December 31st, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Yes, there is a place for light tanks in urban combat. Namely with light forces. The Israelis don't need light tanks because their strategic deployments are a afternoon's drive to the battle. The US has to fly across oceans to deploy, so having light tanks is very useful.

The M8 Buford in the US development was to give the replace the Sheridans in the 82nd airborne.

Any tank works well in urban combat only if the infantry working with it are good.
December 31st, 2004  
SHERMAN

I dont think that a light vehicle can do what an Achzarit can do.
December 31st, 2004  
bushpig1998

Another word: Ratel!

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/ratel.htm
December 31st, 2004  
SHERMAN

well, it is light and fast(very fast)....but it is not for urban warfare. light tanks need open terrain to manuver in. 20 mm of steel armour is not enouh for anything. if an RPG hits that sucker its a kill 9 times out of 10.
January 1st, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Another ideal vehicle for urban warfare is the Nagmachon:
http://israeli-weapons.com/weapons/v...Nagmachon.html

But again, this is not light at all.

All of this proves my pointthat in urban warare there is no place for light tanjks or light APCs.
this thing is freakish, i would have though aliens had landed if i saw this thing@!

January 3rd, 2005  
bushpig1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
well, it is light and fast(very fast)....but it is not for urban warfare. light tanks need open terrain to manuver in. 20 mm of steel armour is not enouh for anything. if an RPG hits that sucker its a kill 9 times out of 10.
Referring to the Ratel?

I have to agree, it is more of an open terrain vehicle, but during domestic clashes (Zulu IFP vs ANC) during the late 80's, early 90's, Ratel's and Buffels were used quite effectively. Granted, they didn't come up against RPG's too often.
As for the armor - the nice thing about this vehicle is the superior anti-mine and IED (Why the new term? It's a friggin bomb!) resistance. If I'm not mistaken, the USMC bought a few of these (or was it a caspir?) for deployment in Iraq. Can't remember where I read this, I'll look for the link.