Light Infantry vs. Mechanized Infantry - Page 4

--

December 20th, 2010  
GHR

Ghostrider; The question was what people preferred.
And since I'm lazy by nature, I prefer to drive rather than walk.
December 20th, 2010  
I3BrigPvSk

I prefer both, depends where they are, what they shall do. Both are good for their specific tasks. But its easier to drive than walk

take care,

Ghostrider,
December 20th, 2010  
Big_Z

Just because you are mounted doesnt mean you don't dismount at times. It is entirely possible to travel to a area mounted and then dismount once you get there. Your vehicles are used as heavy weapon systems platforms and as covering/supression pieces. You don't "hide out" in your armor if your objectives demand you go to foot. It is a little more complicated then that. Personal courage has absolutely NOTHING to do with being mounted or dismounted. It is the capabilities that mounted brings to the table.

*cough* Striker brigades *cough*
--
December 20th, 2010  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
Just because you are mounted doesnt mean you don't dismount at times. It is entirely possible to travel to a area mounted and then dismount once you get there. Your vehicles are used as heavy weapon systems platforms and as covering/supression pieces.
I think the question is, would you rather march a hundred miles to get to the foot of the said mountain range or would you rather ride?
December 20th, 2010  
LeMask

Yeah, I do think it's ridiculous to call people cowards because they have heavy armor to protect them.

In fact, I'm thinking about the worst scenario. You guys understand very well the capabilities of armor and heavy weapons... Okay.
And then you understand very well the advantages these "tools" can give YOU.

But what if we switch the roles. You are the ones with light weapons and the enemy you will have to face got armor.

These same advantages can be used against you...

Everybody loves to have heavy weapons... That's not a revolutionary opinion.

Think about the Allies and their first tanks on the battlefield... A few years later, the Germans were rushing them with Blitzkrieg tactics...

Think about some crazy **** happening in the next few years... And Taliban troops taking Asia riding superior armor...

Call it impossible... I dare you.
December 21st, 2010  
Yossarian

It's seems to make perfect sense, the mechanized forces of today, mimic in some ways the horseback calvary of the days of yore, at the same time, I don't know if it's a factor or not, but reasoning that fighting on the plains of Europe and rolling along towards the fight is one thing.

But fighting in urban areas, wouldn't it make perfect sense to have the mechanized infantry dismount to cover the vehicles that support them? This shows a interdependence thats easy to point out, the infantry on foot have the heavy fire power with them, and can mark targets with even a standard Mk. I eyeball for the heavy guns. Likewise the vehicles have the eyes and mobility of the legborne troops to counter threats in buildings and other urban structures, can even clear threats from them.

It seems like sending a mechanized force alone into a heavily urban area would be throwing tax dollars away, a slow moving hulk moving with very restricted mobility and ability to detect and identify targets alone takes away their biggest strengths and plays it against them :/ Allowing a much less developed fighting force the advantage of a little more level playing field, especially if they are the defending force.

Good thing it would seem about regular infantry is, well cost, and the lack of the support crews needed to insure the vehicles are working properly.

Benefits are still obvious however, mechanized can bring more brunt to bare, and go farther faster.

(That's just my observation, and I in no way support this or my post as a first hand or professional opinion.)
December 24th, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

Throw away mechs! Throw away light! Bring in Iron Man!
Like the marine in Starcraft 2 said, "Hell, it's about time"

Just kidding
If I purely base my opinions and emotions on this thread, then I prefer mech. Good old firepower, armor. However, if I judge by facts, then it's impossible to say which.
December 27th, 2010  
MikeP

I've talked to some who believe there is not enough dismounting.
Guys are riding about in potential wheeled coffins.

I think you need the mech stuff for traveling to and from today's large AOs, but the key is to dismount, engage, and pursue.
Mu time was all jungle and we had no transport in my AO except medivacs.
In the areas they used APCs everybody sat on top as it was too dangerous to be inside with all the ammo and ordnance.
December 28th, 2010  
03USMC

IMHO. I'd rather hump 80 lbs 20 miles than ride 5 in an RPG magnet. But thats a phobia of mine.
December 31st, 2010  
-- Dusty

I prefer armed UAVs. Why risk myself when a robot can do the work?