life and stuff..... slighty sensitive issue, warning...

mvilla2426

Sorry, guys....... Just a little down.

Has anyone in here had, or knew someone that had PTSD??

My father had it when I was growing up, and I have alot of similar probs. myself.

I'm a little out of it today, so my post might not make sense. Anyway, lets just say I saw a lot of :cen: growing up, and that :cen: continued now that I'm an adult......

For instance, before I moved outta the house, my Dad Chiked me, and after I moved out, he did something else along really similarly violent lines. Yet he denies this. And that hurts.

Well, yesterday, he and I were argueing (because I refuse to move back home) and lets just say I narrowly escaped a third attempt.

My mother says I should "get over it" and that "every family goes through this" but I don't believe her.

Anyway...... I'm posting this here, because as you guys know My dad is a vet, and part of the reason he is like he is is because of his experiences in Vietnam. Almost my entire childhood he spent in and out of the Mental Hospital dealing with his issues.

I'm not saying every vet is like this, just wondering if anyone here can relate, because I have not met anyone as of yet who can.

This doesn't sound good at all...

I guess your were trying to say "choked me". Yeah, i have been in the same predictiment when my father was in the service,he would come home and transfer every single bit of anger and resentment he built up during the day to us kids, and the wife. Theres just something about the stress associated with the military that just drives some people to do sad things.

Funny thing was, when my dad got out...he changed. He never was as upset or harmful to us after he got out...like he just left it all back in his last duty place. he didn't scream yell or try to hurt us anymore...and he had a chance too many times. I m glad he changed: all i wanted to do every time he went after us was to dooger him in. Now, me and him are friends.

Hang in there. Hes still in there somewhere...he just has to know its finally safe to come out.

Mark

So Mark are you saying mvilla's dad does what he does and acts the way he does because he gets stress from the military?
So shouldn't he leave it?

You say he suffers from PTSD? Is he seeing a doctor about it? I saw an interesting documentary about it(forget where). It can be caused by forgotten events that occured during the conflict/ trauma, etc. The man I saw who recovered from it said that he had to go through a long process of remembering what the specific events were that upset him so much. After identifying these key events, he was eventually able to recover. I believe it was this man who wrote the book "Farewell Darkness." You may want to have a look at this book.

Stress from many jobs can cause problems at home. My dad isn't the nicest in the world either after he gets home. No, it's not really frequent abuse, and I usually do something to deserve it, and it's not bad, but it can be hard to deal with it, I know. My dad has a 1 hour commute from Charlotte, and some of the roads and traffic are murderous and not things I want to drive on.

I can't relate to the whole vet part, but yeah. PTSD can be really really nasty, thankfully, what I've gone through probably wasn't bad enough to be considered that, but I don't know. Only now am I realizing what I did to myself to hold back anger and feelings. It's kinda scary.

PTSD is a very serious thing. I have known people with it and it is a rough thing to go through. Yes, most of the time the person has no clue what is goin on and remembers nothin about the episode. All you can do is like Mark said, your dad is in there somewhere waitin for the chance to come out. It sucks because you have been takin the blunt end of it and you have to do what is best for you, just dont dismiss him completely.

Wel, when I was a child (back in the 80's) he went through the PTSD, and spent alot of time in the VA and the Mental Hospital.... So really he used to be worse back then.

He is supposedly "cured" now.... This is just what happens when we get mad at each other. I have inherited alot of his anger problems myself.

Mark Conley said:
just in case people dont know the acronym...

PTSD - Post Tramatic Shock Disorder
don't mean to nitpick, but PTSD is Post Traumatic stress disorder.

Back