Life as a Marine Infantry man?

FutureMarine

After I become a Marine I plan to become a Marine Infantry man but i don't know what to expect? And I don't know what to expect of the day to day life?

Depends on the MOS and where your at. The question is way too broad what do you want to know? Specifics.

I have heard that as an infantryman you get to explore the world. I am joining the marines because I want to, and because it has ben in my family for awhile. Asking specifics about the infantry is hard for me because I don't know much about it. I guess some of the questions i have would be.....

1.) how much of the world do you really get to see?
2.) Is being an infantryman something wear you are always on your feet or you sit and listen to those who are teaching you?

I guess thats good enough to start.

Depending on the unit will depend on how much of the world you see. You'll see Okiniawa on UDEP thats pretty much a given. You can go on Med Floats, Westpac's, NATO's, Carib's and other floats all depending on the unit. Certain units such as Force Recon will have more Deployments than Line units.

Marine Corps Infantry moves on their feet so yeah you'll spend alot of time on your feet. As far as sitting around in class and learning. At SOI and later in the fleet you will have Classroom time. But everything you learn in school circle you practice later on your feet.

well I have thought about force recon but heard you have to have a couple years of experience before you could go that root. So I thought it would be good to go into the Infantry first. What do you suggest?

I only mentioned Force as a contrast. I would suggest that you serve time in a Line Company for a couple years before even thinking about anything else.

I had planned on serving as an Infantryman before I thought of doing anything else. I thought if I liked being an Infantryman that after a few yrs I could move up to a higher level such as Force Recon. I don't know where I read it but I think it said that you should have about four years experience before joining or signing up.

(Know off topic)
I have talked to my dad a little about the Marines and he told me that it would be better to start out in the reserves, then if i liked it then I would be able to go full time. But I told him that I wanted to go full time, And he told me that it would be my mistake. But if I went into reserves I don't think I could be an infantryman could I?

Depends on the Reserve Unit. If it isn't an Infantry unit your chances of being an 03 are not high.

Reserve INfantry

I hope this helps. I am an 0352 Reservist. I have been in for over 6 years. Since I have been in we have gone to Japan, Africa, Spain, Kuwait and Iraq. I am with 2nd Bn 23 Marines in OKlahoma. We were activated and went to Iraq before the war started and stayed until after it was over. As far as being a grunt, you hump a lot. By hump, I mean hike with your gear and pack. Your feet are your primary mode of transportation. Would you like it...hmmm...if you are in shape and can keep a good atitude then you might. You get to do a lot of small squad activities. However, most people do not like 03 units because they tend to be more physical and less menat....if you like to think outside the box and do not plan to go to college then I would keep your eyes open and look at all your possibilites. First ask yourself why you want to be a marine. Your father is right, it might be a good idea to look at the reserves. I was 21 when I went to boot camp and that was after 3 years of college. As far as Recon....Most people that plan to be a seal or Recon either change their minds or fail. So if your plan is to go infantry with the end result Recon. Good plan....just have a back up so that if you get stuck as a grunt you are happy. Also if you have a reserve Recon unit like in Texas and some other places talk to them. You can be a reserve sniper or Recon and have the same fun as active duty. I hope this helps..if you have any questions let me know.

Back