Life in the Corps?

Judas

I was just wondering if any vets here can tell me how it ACTUALLY is living as an 03XX in the USMC..

My cousin is an Army Infantry Scout and says its purely hell and for me to not join (too late)..he says everyone who is of higher rank are assholes and his sargeant makes him burn the sh*tters for looking at him wrong..He also tells me that my life will be the same as USMC

Can anyone clarify/confirm?

Sounds like sour grapes. I spent 12 years as an 03 and never once burned sh**ters, sounds like your boy is reading alot of blood and thunder books.

You get out of it what you put into. Infantry is not an easy life. But I found rewarding and fun.

The Military is not for everyone! With his attitude he is probably a Magnet for trouble.
03USMC is right you get out of it what you put into it. Just remember you will always have someone higher up than you. Some will be jerks others will be great! Not just in the Military but no matter what you do with your life. There are teachers, parents, bosses, professors whatever, jerks come in all walks of life it's all in how you deal with them.

Good Luck to you!

ArmyMom

thanks for the headsup; 03USMC, have you ever seen combat? -- my cousin says he has nightmares every night

Judas said:
thanks for the headsup; 03USMC, have you ever seen combat? -- my cousin says he has nightmares every night

I don't know your cousins military history so I can't comment.

dont get me wrong, im not trying to cause an uph.....trouble

My cousin is an Army Infantry Scout

My cousin is strongly against me joining the Infantry option for the Marine Corps and my recruiter is ....lame, and wont/wouldnt change my MOS because he's lazy..dont ask how I know, or how I dont know...my last recruiter WOULD change it, this guy just wont..

anyway, I'm not sure how much of what my cousin tells me is true but he tells me this:

he has nightmares every night

all his friends from his platoon are either dead or in a mental hospital

its pure hell over in Iraq

hes been ordered to kill the wrong people, knowingly

other war stories involving guts and brains

how he's treated (i.e. disposable (his Humvee was hit by an IED and he suffered hearing loss and burns, and was put back on duty the same day; also having to do assinine duties for looking at people the wrong way; and that after being ambushed and in combat, they take away all his ammo because they dont feel he's responsible))

he says that his platoon has gone on over 1000 missions to date and has been ambushed every time

he also tells me that they censor his mail

he tells me that he has worked with the Marine Corps and that they are slow, clunky, and use no tactics in combat (which I feel is a lie)

This is just some of the things/reason he has told me why I shouldnt join; he tells me that they Marines are treated the same way and die off more..

I am just concerned, and I dont want to believe everything he says: but he says that all the fantasies of his imagination from when he joined are the same as mine and I would quickly see reality

you know those people that just dont want to be there but are there because they have to for some reason. sounds like your cousin, and you will always meet people like that, no matter if its dealing with the military or a sport, anything that involves people you will have some ******* saying "this sucks, i cant wait to get outta here"

This is a touchy subject. Yes infantry life is no picnic, but it sounds like your cousin has major issues with his command and the people he is with. He is the only person that I know of that would have the nads to say that Marines are "slow, clunky, and use no tactics in combat". Also, I dont think he would say that to any of them. I know several people that are in Iraq now and have been on several missions and have done several things, not a one of them would change anything that they are doin. Your cousin is mad at someone for some reason and is tellin you half truths about things. I have said this several times to several people, the military, not just the Marine Corps, is all how you make it. I knew guys that fell into depression over one thing or another and could not come out of that and they ended up miserable and hated every second.

03USMC said:
Sounds like sour grapes. I spent 12 years as an 03 and never once burned sh**ters, sounds like your boy is reading alot of blood and thunder books.

You get out of it what you put into. Infantry is not an easy life. But I found rewarding and fun.

I actually pulled mess duty....once....on mids, it was a great break :shock:

back to the subject:

It really sounds like the sour grapes, I really enjoyed my time both in the Corps and in the ARMYNG, even thinking now about taking a commission. It is what you make of it, nothing more. I loved the challenge and if you have the right mind set, it is a great life. I spent most of my active service in constant travel mode, but it did not matter. Just research everything before you make your decision.

Only Once Hulk :shock: Man I got nailed as a PFC, as A Lcpl and then ended up pullin 30 days checkin meal cards as Cpl.

03USMC said:
Only Once Hulk :shock: Man I got nailed as a PFC, as A Lcpl and then ended up pullin 30 days checkin meal cards as Cpl.

Had to be at the same duty station more than friggin 6 months...

Now I did paint rocks at Geiger awaiting a school slot, that was fun, but yes ONLY one mess duty!!! I got lucky.

Did you get the extended stay at Team Spirit '88? Ended up there for a year between Pusan, Yeachon, Osan and Taegu. I love KimChee....

Thnks for all ur help,

I just found out recently that my cousins father linked up with the recruiter and forced him in and my cousin resents him for it... I'm not sure what my uncle told my cousin, but my uncle had the recruiter tell my cousin that backing out of DEP would cost him 3 months jail time, $30,000, and a Dishonerable Discharge

I think I might be just fine, since I'm not really wanting to back out

Back