Life in the Corps?

--

January 23rd, 2005  
Judas

Topic: Life in the Corps?

I was just wondering if any vets here can tell me how it ACTUALLY is living as an 03XX in the USMC..

My cousin is an Army Infantry Scout and says its purely hell and for me to not join (too late)..he says everyone who is of higher rank are *******s and his sargeant makes him burn the sh*tters for looking at him wrong..He also tells me that my life will be the same as USMC

Can anyone clarify/confirm?
January 24th, 2005  
03USMC

Sounds like sour grapes. I spent 12 years as an 03 and never once burned sh**ters, sounds like your boy is reading alot of blood and thunder books.

You get out of it what you put into. Infantry is not an easy life. But I found rewarding and fun.
January 24th, 2005  
ARMYMOM

The Military is not for everyone! With his attitude he is probably a Magnet for trouble.
03USMC is right you get out of it what you put into it. Just remember you will always have someone higher up than you. Some will be jerks others will be great! Not just in the Military but no matter what you do with your life. There are teachers, parents, bosses, professors whatever, jerks come in all walks of life it's all in how you deal with them.

Good Luck to you!

ArmyMom
--
January 24th, 2005  
Judas

thanks for the headsup; 03USMC, have you ever seen combat? -- my cousin says he has nightmares every night
January 24th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas
thanks for the headsup; 03USMC, have you ever seen combat? -- my cousin says he has nightmares every night
I don't know your cousins military history so I can't comment.
January 25th, 2005  
Judas

dont get me wrong, im not trying to cause an uph.....trouble

My cousin is an Army Infantry Scout

My cousin is strongly against me joining the Infantry option for the Marine Corps and my recruiter is ....lame, and wont/wouldnt change my MOS because he's lazy..dont ask how I know, or how I dont know...my last recruiter WOULD change it, this guy just wont..

anyway, I'm not sure how much of what my cousin tells me is true but he tells me this:

he has nightmares every night

all his friends from his platoon are either dead or in a mental hospital

its pure hell over in Iraq

hes been ordered to kill the wrong people, knowingly

other war stories involving guts and brains

how he's treated (i.e. disposable (his Humvee was hit by an IED and he suffered hearing loss and burns, and was put back on duty the same day; also having to do assinine duties for looking at people the wrong way; and that after being ambushed and in combat, they take away all his ammo because they dont feel he's responsible))

he says that his platoon has gone on over 1000 missions to date and has been ambushed every time

he also tells me that they censor his mail

he tells me that he has worked with the Marine Corps and that they are slow, clunky, and use no tactics in combat (which I feel is a lie)

This is just some of the things/reason he has told me why I shouldnt join; he tells me that they Marines are treated the same way and die off more..

I am just concerned, and I dont want to believe everything he says: but he says that all the fantasies of his imagination from when he joined are the same as mine and I would quickly see reality
January 25th, 2005  
Charge 7

"(which I feel is a lie)"

You're on the right track. Apply that thinking to the rest.
January 25th, 2005  
ARMYMOM

Judas,

Look at the profiles of the gentlemen that have answered your questions.
January 25th, 2005  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7

Agree. It sounds as if your cousin is part of the 10% rule club.
January 25th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7

Agree. It sounds as if your cousin is part of the 10% rule club.

Roger That Gentlemen>