Life after ROTC

Bitmapman

Hey there everyone,

I'm completely new to these forums, so I thought I take this opportunity to both introduce myself and explain my situation.

My name is Luke, I am 18 years old, I live in Pennsylvania, USA, and I am going to be attending the Army's ROTC program at Temple University in Philadelphia.

I am presently working out extensively in order to prepare myself. I have been jogging/running 4 miles and doing plenty of sit ups, push ups, and pull ups as many days as I can per week. See, I have gone through most of high school fairly flabby, so I've had some work to do, but I'm quickly improving.

Anyways, my current intention is to, upon graduation from ROTC, become an Infantry Officer. I'd like to try to get into the Rangers.

So here's my question: What exactly goes into becoming a Ranger Officer? I am aware of the strenuous physical requirements, but I mean as far as training goes.

My understanding of the progressison goes along the lines of: Infantry Officer School, followed by Jump School, followed by Ranger Indoctrination Program. Am I correct in this understanding?

Do those who desire to actually lead Rangers as officers go to RIP or is it a different school?

Is there required field experience as an Infantry Officer before I can even try to be a Ranger Officer, or can I start out of training in charge of Rangers?

I do know that a lot of Infantry Officers get Ranger certified and then continue as regular Infantry Officers, but, just to make sure I'm being clear, my intent is to become a Ranger Officer, as in, actually in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Thanks,
Luke

If you are a PT stud, you can get Airborne school out of the way as a cadet in between your second and third year. It is not easy, but doable.

Other than that, if you want to lead Rangers, you need to be getting a 300+ on the APFT for the 17-21 yr/old bracket, or the other Rangers will "eat you alive" (quoted from a former Ranger company commander). Ranger 2LTs are expected to lead from the front, as he said.

Good luck!

Note* That is all I know/have heard about Ranger officers from my cadre who were Ranger instructors.

I went to basic with a 25 year old guy with a Bachelor's degree, he had a Ranger contract. His intentions was to join as an enlisted man for a year or 2 and THEN go to OCS to become a Ranger officer. He seen this as his best chance to staying in the 75th as an Officer. The guy was a college football player and very smart, I have no doubt he will accomplish it.

As an enlisted man I know it is pretty easy to get into the 75th at airborne school. They will ask for volunteers. My best friend at basic did this, he was supposed to go to the 173rd Abn in Italy.

Maytime said:
Ranger 2LTs are expected to lead from the front, as he said.

The 75th only takes 1LTs, they like for the PLs to have previous infantry experience.

I am presently working out extensively in order to prepare myself. I have been jogging/running 4 miles and doing plenty of sit ups, push ups, and pull ups as many days as I can per week. See, I have gone through most of high school fairly flabby, so I've had some work to do, but I'm quickly improving.

Hi, Luke. Keep working on that PT, always increase it and never give yourself an "easy" day.

I did a quick search on the forum and found this for you, check post out from one of the Moderators here, it answers all the questions you asked.

Ranger Officers:

Two absolute requirements are: have been a platoon leader, and have graduated Ranger school. Platoon leaders in the 75th are 1LTs, you will not see many 2nd LTs there, and those few that are or have been, were former enlisted batt boys.

If you meet these two requirements, you can put in a request to attend ROP. Along with the request form, you will also have to have the support of your command.

How you do as a platoon leader in your initial tour will make or break your already slim chances of attending ROP. What university you attended will not matter - West Point doesn't make one a better officer those that came from ROTC, et al. Performance counts, period.

If the stars a aligned, and you're able to put in your application - you will still have to contend with other officers. The majority will be some of the best and brightest leaders the Army has to offer. Then of course you must pass ROP, and last but not least, prove yourself as a competent Ranger platoon leader. Many officers wash out of the 75th within their first two months.

The 75th can either make or break your career.

I am not trying to turn you off of this path - just give you a realistic view of how things go. Is is possible? Yes. Likely? No.

I would suggest to anyone 110% set on being a Ranger to enlist with an option 40 contract. This will at least guarantee one a chance.

ROP is Ranger Orientation Program, it's what NCOs and officers that are going to batt attend instead of RIP.

Oh, and do like Maytime said, try to get Airborne knocked out while you're in ROTC.

Hey, thanks a load for the information.

Yes, that post does indeed answer all my questions.

I had a feeling they would want someone with at least some infantry command experience.

Alright, I'll make sure to keep up the pace on my PT and try for Airborne during ROTC.

I now understand just how difficult a position it is to win, but I am deadset on at least earning a shot at it. The fact that the Rangers are extremely hardcore and difficult to get into is what appeals to me about them most. A serious challenge is exactly what I need.

Thanks again,
Luke

Hey, thanks a load for the information.

Yes, that post does indeed answer all my questions.

I had a feeling they would want someone with at least some infantry command experience.

Alright, I'll make sure to keep up the pace on my PT and try for Airborne during ROTC.

I now understand just how difficult a position it is to win, but I am deadset on at least earning a shot at it. The fact that the Rangers are extremely hardcore and difficult to get into is what appeals to me about them most. A serious challenge is exactly what I need.

Thanks again,
Luke

You sound very serious and motivated in your goals, those are two things that will help you a lot. Wish you the best of luck.

Back