Lieberman Says War Vote Could Prompt Party Switch

phoenix80

Banned
Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut told the Politico on Thursday that he has no immediate plans to switch parties but suggested that Democratic opposition to funding the war in Iraq might change his mind.
Lieberman, a self-styled independent who caucuses with the Democrats, has been among the strongest supporters of the war and President Bush’s plan to send an additional 21,500 combat troops into Iraq to help quell the violence there.

"I have no desire to change parties," Lieberman said in a telephone interview. "If that ever happens, it is because I feel the majority of Democrats have gone in a direction that I don't feel comfortable with."
Asked whether that hasn't already happened with Iraq, Lieberman said: "We will see how that plays out in the coming months," specifically how the party approaches the issue of continued funding for the war.

He suggested, however, that the forthcoming showdown over new funding could be a deciding factor that would lure him to the Republican Party.
"I hope we don't get to that point," Lieberman said. "That's about all I will say on it today. That would hurt."

Republicans have long targeted Lieberman to switch – a move that would give them control of the Senate. And Time magazine is set to report Friday that there is a “remote” chance Lieberman would join the GOP.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0207/2865.html

It's not the party that I care about. It's about the oath that he took to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights.

If he supports the bill of rights then i would support him. But I know from the past that he does not support the Bill of Rights. He only supports certain segments of it.

It's not the party that I care about. It's about the oath that he took to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights.

If he supports the bill of rights then i would support him. But I know from the past that he does not support the Bill of Rights. He only supports certain segments of it.

Care to expand for the sake of conversation and debate?

Lieberman got an F from the NRA in terms of his view on the 2nd Amendment. He has voted yes for every gun control bill that has been in the Senate since he became a Senator. He also is against the Video Game Industry. Which I support because I believe it is the parent's job to keep their kids in line. Not the Federal Government.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people have taken an oath to uphold and defend the constitution. How many do you see actually performing to expectations? I agree with you though. If he is against things like video games and for gun control then I can not be for him.

Back