Lieberman Loses, Vows Independent Run

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/08/09/D8JCLT281.html

Three-term Sen. Joe Lieberman fell to anti-war challenger Ned Lamont in Connecticut's Democratic primary Tuesday, a race seen as a harbinger of sentiment over the conflict that has claimed the lives of more than 2,500 U.S. troops in Iraq.
Unbowed, Lieberman immediately announced he would enter the fall campaign as an independent. Only six years ago, Lieberman was the Democrats' choice for vice president.

"As I see it, in this campaign we just finished the first half and the Lamont team is ahead. But, in the second half, our team, Team Connecticut, is going to surge forward to victory in November," Lieberman said after congratulating Lamont.
Lamont, a millionaire with virtually no political experience, ran on his opposition to the Iraq war. "They call Connecticut the land of steady habits," he said. "Tonight we voted for a big change."
Lamont won with 52 percent of the vote, or 144,005, to 48 percent for Lieberman, with 134,026, with 98 percent of precincts reporting.
Lieberman's loss made him only the fourth incumbent senator to lose a primary since 1980.
Turnout was projected at twice the norm for a primary.
In Georgia, Rep. Cynthia McKinney, the fiery congresswoman known for her conspiracy theories about the Sept. 11 attacks and a scuffle this year with a U.S. Capitol police officer, lost a runoff for the Democratic nomination.
And in Michigan, moderate Republican Rep. Joe Schwarz lost to a conservative in a GOP primary.
Elsewhere, voters in Colorado and Missouri also chose candidates for the fall elections.
The Connecticut Senate race dominated the political landscape, and its outcome promises to echo through the fall. The race was watched closely by the liberal, Internet-savvy Democrats who lead the party's emerging "netroots" movement, groups such as Moveon.org that played a big role in pushing Lamont's candidacy.
Critics targeted Lieberman for his strong support for the Iraq war and for his close ties to President Bush. They played and replayed video of the kiss President Bush planted on Lieberman's cheek after the 2005 State of the Union address.
Officials said turnout Tuesday was up to 50 percent, when primaries usually only draw 25 percent of voters. And vote totals showed roughly 16,000 more ballots cast for the Democratic Senate primary than the party primary for governor, reflecting the extra attention to the Lieberman-Lamont battle.
In the lead up to the primary, 14,000 new Connecticut voters registered as Democrats, while another 14,000 state voters switched their registration from unaffiliated to Democrat to vote in the primary.
Jubilant Lamont supporters predicted victory in November.
"People are going to look back and say the Bush years started to end in Connecticut," said Avi Green, a volunteer from Boston. "The Republicans are going to look at tonight and realize there's blood in the water."
On the final day of the race, Lieberman accused his opponent's supporters of hacking his campaign Web site and e-mail system. Campaign manager Sean Smith said the site began having problems Monday night and crashed for good at 7 a.m., denying voters information about the candidate.
"It is a deliberate attempt to disenfranchise voters," Smith said.
Lamont said he knew nothing about the accusations. "It's just another scurrilous charge," he said.
A week ago, polls showed Lieberman trailing Lamont by 13 percentage points. The latest polls showed the race tightening, with Lamont holding a slight lead of 51 percent to 45 percent over Lieberman among likely Democratic voters, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Monday.
The telephone poll of 784 likely Democratic primary voters, conducted from July 31 to Aug. 6, has a sampling error margin of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.
Lieberman's falling poll numbers spurred some Democratic colleagues to make last-minute campaign appearances, including former President Clinton, Sen. Barbara Boxer of California and others.
In Georgia, McKinney, her state's first black congresswoman, lost to Hank Johnson, the black former commissioner of DeKalb County, 58 percent to 41 percent.
In the heavily Democratic district, the runoff winner is likely to win in the fall.
McKinney has long been controversial, once suggesting the Bush administration had advance knowledge of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. Her comments helped galvanize opposition and she lost her seat in 2002, but won it again two years ago.
In her latest brouhaha in March, she struck a Capitol Police officer who did not recognize her and tried to stop her from entering a House office building.
A grand jury in Washington declined to indict her, but she was forced to apologize before the House. She drew less than 50 percent of the vote in last month's primary.
In other primaries Tuesday:
_ In Michigan, Republican Rep. Joe Schwarz, a moderate who supports abortion rights, lagged conservative Tim Walberg, a former state lawmaker. The race has drawn more than $1 million from outside groups; Schwarz has received support from President Bush and Arizona Sen. John McCain.
_ In Colorado, two open congressional seats have drawn crowds of candidates. _ Missouri Republican Sen. Jim Talent and Democratic challenger Claire McCaskill, the state auditor, won their party's primaries.

neo-leftists? I have to look that up.

anyway, i don't like liberman because he says he's a democrat but agrees with just about everything bush does. I didn't even like him back in 2000 as gore's running mate. If he's going to be a dick then he can face the consequences because he's a politician in a democrat state and he agreed with an inept president about everything.

because he's a politician in a democrat state and he agreed with an inept president about everything.

He didnt pull the party line LYNCH HIM.
i don't like liberman because he says he's a democrat but agrees with just about everything bush

What? Yes hes a moderate but he has many liberal points of view on the:

Enviorment
Gun-control
Flag burning
Medicare
Stem-cell research
Abortion
Social secruity
Taxes (to a certain degree)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lieberman#Political_positions

He is an old school dem. Some one who cares about the United States not like the :cen: who just hate the US (and we have some of them here on this forum too) and do whatever they can to bash the USA at the world stage

The problem is the neither party has anyone good enough to step up to the plate. Leadership on both sides sucks.

I'll agree with WarMachine, I never liked Lieberman even in 2000.

I dont think anybody forgave him for the comment he made that Bush would be the president for 3 more years and that we should just accept with it. I'm sorry Joe, Bush maybe the president but the last thing we have to do is accept it. Only colloborators and apologists do that. The GOP certainly didnt roll over when Clinton was president did they? Why should the Dems?

Bush has caused incredible harm to this nation and anybody GOP or Democrat who thinks people should be quiet about it doesnt deserve to be in office. Apperently the voters agreed, and thats exactly why Lieberman got the boot. But Joe, despite proclaiming how loyal a Democrat, decided to ignore the wishes of the Democratic party, and join the party of 'me'.

He'll still lose.

Whenever i don't pass a test from now on, i'll run as an independent to show my teachers that they can't fail me.

Back