"You Lie" Aftermath

Sorry Rob but it is quite true. I've lived in or very near all those places I mentioned and I stand by my statement that they are equally racist.
Look again at my post. No I didn't say racism doesn't exist.
Yes a bit. People are way overreacting. He said "you're a liar" that's all. It wasn't the "N" word or anything close to it.
I don't know why he couldn't restrain himself. I just don't think it's a big deal.

Even in the British House Of Commons, where heckling and cheers and boo's are fairly normal during a speech, calling someone a lier is a complete no, no.

Shows how short term peoples memories really are.

If you look at Politics in the South for the last 150 years it would be best if Democrats today, play down the roll of Southern Democrats in the area of race.

In other words, Democrats who live in a glass house should not be so quick to label Southern Republicans as racist. You want to see racist politics in the south, just look at Southern Democrats during the 19th and 20th Centuries.

Like has been said before, this Republican Senator from South Carolina said. "you lie" and as bad as it is, it is not a racist remark.

Oh please, put away the tired old stereotypes. There's no more racism in South Carolina than there is in South Boston or the south side of Chicago. Talk about close mindedness! It was one badly timed word, not an attempt to shout down anyone. I'm sure it came from the frustration people feel from having this thing shoved down their collective throat whether they like it or not.
The only thing he's guilty of is being a bit rude.

Sorry Mighty but thats not true. Racism does occur everywhere, Ill agree with you there, but it IS more prevalent in some parts of the country than others. I went to school in Indiana were it was very prevalent, I would see advertisements for Klan meetings on the way to class. Now in certain parts of NYC like Howard Beach (a Irish-Italian neighborhood) there is alot of racism, but not to the extent of advertisements in public for Klan meetings.
There is no love for black people, but that would simply not be tolerated.

Wilson's comment was rude both personally to Obama, and disrespectful to the Office of President of the United States. No Democrat ever called Bush a liar while giving a speech in front of the Congress even as the whoppers that Bush told about WMD rolled off his lips.

I think we can all imagine the response from conservatives if say Barney Frank had called Bush a liar during a joint house speech.

If we want to follow the English system of Parliment (and as Redcoat said: this was a violation of protocol even for the British) that means that minority has no power at all aside from jeering. No Cloture, no filibustering, nothing.

Not true MightyMouse. Whether or not we care to admit it, there is STILL racism in the world. I live in Alabama, there are still Klan meetings here. As much as I'd LOVE to be able to agree with you, you're just wrong on that one. There is racism in the South.

A bit? A BIT? The man called the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES a liar in the middle of his speech on national television.... Sure, he might've been tired from "having this thing shoved down their collective throat whether they like it or not", but the fact still remains that AAAALLLL those other Republicans were able to restrain themselves... Why couldn't this guy?
Definite breach of decorum, but then again who had heard of Joe Wilson before? He's got name recognition now.

Last edited:
Sorry Mighty but thats not true. Racism does occur everywhere, Ill agree with you there, but it IS more prevalent in some parts of the country than others. I went to school in Indiana were it was very prevalent, I would see advertisements for Klan meetings on the way to class. Now in certain parts of NYC like Howard Beach (a Irish-Italian neighborhood) there is alot of racism, but not to the extent of advertisements in public for Klan meetings.
There is no love for black people, but that would simply not be tolerated.

Wilson's comment was rude both personally to Obama, and disrespectful to the Office of President of the United States. No Democrat ever called Bush a liar while giving a speech in front of the Congress even as the whoppers that Bush told about WMD rolled off his lips.

I think we can all imagine the response from conservatives if say Barney Frank had called Bush a liar during a joint house speech.

If we want to follow the English system of Parliment (and as Redcoat said: this was a violation of protocol even for the British) that means that minority has no power at all aside from jeering. No Cloture, no filibustering, nothing.
You know what mmarsh? I think we established the fact that we are not British more than a couple of hundred years ago and we don't do much the way it's done in Parliament so that's a non-point.
I think the fact that Wilson's remark was ill placed is agreed upon so there's no point to argue there.
Even if Frank did comment on Bush, who could understand him? :wink:
This isn't about Bush in any way shape or form so there's no point bringing him into every discussion. It doesn't help your argument.
You can't tell me about racism in NYC, I was born and grew up in Bed-Sty and oh yes there was a lot of racism there (probably the reverse of what you're thinking about). There amy not have been KKK posters but there were tons of militant racist comments plastered on walls and subway cars. 6 of 1 or a half dozen of the other.

Shows how short term peoples memories really are.

If you look at Politics in the South for the last 150 years it would be best if Democrats today, play down the roll of Southern Democrats in the area of race.

In other words, Democrats who live in a glass house should not be so quick to label Southern Republicans as racist. You want to see racist politics in the south, just look at Southern Democrats during the 19th and 20th Centuries.

Like has been said before, this Republican Senator from South Carolina said. "you lie" and as bad as it is, it is not a racist remark.
And you'll notice too that as soon as LBJ started pushing Civil Rights, the group of em got disgusted and switched parties.

Some of them did switch parties but it wasn't a mass exodus. There is still the Southern Democrat faction within the democratic party and thier views are far more conservative than the mainstream dems

And you'll notice too that as soon as LBJ started pushing Civil Rights, the group of em got disgusted and switched parties.

LBJ started pushing Civil Rights? Oh, please. He was to busy ramping up Viet Nam.

So the majority of Southern Democrats became Republicans and the few remaining liberal civil rights loving Democrats overwhelmed the nasty Republicans reinforced by the nasty party switching Democrats.

I can't blame you for memory loss as you are to young.

I have heard on these forums about how bad the education system in the U S has become. I did not believe it until now.

The race issue on this thread is just smoke. It is a tired old attempt by liberals to paint anyone who disagrees with them on any topic as a racist right wing conservative KKK member.

Probably should put a note on any future topics discussing the President's policies that reads.

"Please note that because our current President Is Black (In case you are not aware) anyone disagreeing with his policies:
Will Be Considered a Card Carrying Right Wing KKK White Supremacist, No Matter What Their Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Race May Be."

That way we could just go on to dicussing the issue and not get side tracked so easily.

Having lived in the south I can tell you there are two different kinds of dems there. The main stream dems that go along with the national line and the southern democrats who are pretty much dem in name only. The majority did not leave the party leaving the party would have killed any political career they had. Until recently republicans had a hard row to hoe getting elected in the south.

LBJ started pushing Civil Rights? Oh, please. He was to busy ramping up Viet Nam.

So the majority of Southern Democrats became Republicans and the few remaining liberal civil rights loving Democrats overwhelmed the nasty Republicans reinforced by the nasty party switching Democrats.

I have heard on these forums about how bad the education system in the U S has become. I did not believe it until now.

The race issue on this thread is just smoke. It is a tired old attempt by liberals to paint anyone who disagrees with them on any topic as a racist right wing conservative KKK member.

Probably should put a note on any future topics discussing the President's policies that reads.

"Please note that because our current President Is Black (In case you are not aware) anyone disagreeing with his policies:
Will Be Considered a Card Carrying Right Wing KKK White Supremacist, No Matter What Their Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Race May Be."

That way we could just go on to dicussing the issue and not get side tracked so easily.
LBJ pushed the Voting Rights Act of 1965 through, but it passed only because of Reublican support. Had Reps voted the same margin as Dems voted it would have failed. The movement of Conservative Dems to the Reps started with the '68 Convention & the nomination of McGovern in '72. The Dems have moved so far Left that JFK couldn't get nominated today.

LMAO..............dam finally someone hit the hail right on the head.

Oh BTW he's not Black, he's mixed :) so..................

You know what mmarsh? I think we established the fact that we are not British more than a couple of hundred years ago and we don't do much the way it's done in Parliament so that's a non-point.
I think the fact that Wilson's remark was ill placed is agreed upon so there's no point to argue there.
Even if Frank did comment on Bush, who could understand him? :wink:
This isn't about Bush in any way shape or form so there's no point bringing him into every discussion. It doesn't help your argument.
You can't tell me about racism in NYC, I was born and grew up in Bed-Sty and oh yes there was a lot of racism there (probably the reverse of what you're thinking about). There amy not have been KKK posters but there were tons of militant racist comments plastered on walls and subway cars. 6 of 1 or a half dozen of the other.

I wasn't referring to you specifically, I was referring in general to those who might have thought it was OK for Wilson to act the way he did, such as those people sending money to Wilson.

I was using Bush for a comparison as he was the last Republican president. But I could have just as easily said Reagan. The point I was making was that the conservatives would have been OUTRAGED if this had been done at one of their presidents, not making excuses as they have in the media. It would have been wrong to do it to Bush -and you know what a big fan of Bush I am :). Outside of Congress I'd be more tolerant, but inside the congress...very disrespectful.

Its hypocritical to think that its OK for Wilson to insult the presidency when its a democrat, but find it outrageous if the same were done to a republican.

As I said, I agree that racism is everywhere and Yes I have seen the occasional comments scrawled on the subways, especially on the "A" train. I'm from Manhattan, I'm not going to pretend NYC is some shining beacon of racial tolerance, but it is a lot better than other places I've been which is why I disagree that its equal. The stuff I saw in the Mid-west didn't come close to what we got at home.

Ill give you an example, when I was in Indiana there was a certain laundrymat in the center of town inside there was a sign that openly mocked asian people using both a offensive caricature of a Asian man and listing the stores policies in the worst written English-Chinese stereotype imaginable. Things like "No Tickee-no Laundree" and worse, you get the idea. I'd go further in detail but doing so would probably get me banned. And this sh** was everywhere. I was offended and I am not even Asian, and I have alot of friends in Chinatown who would have gone ballistic. Now in NYC, that sort of thing might happen incognito, in the heat of the moment, or as a mean-spirited joke among friends. So Yes it exists, but people there do not wear their racism on their sleeve like chevrons on a military uniform, its much more discreet. Racism in open Public view is bad form.

Last edited:
Ya, I went to Stuyvesant HS. Let me know by PM where you went and when.
As to the topic of racism, I don't think this comment by Wilson was in any way racist.
It was misspoken in time and place for sure but that's just poor judgement and not a reflection of people in the south in general.
mmarsh said:
Its hypocritical to think that its OK for Wilson to insult the presidency when its a democrat, but find it outrageous if the same were done to a republican.
Did someone here say that? If they did then I missed it.

Ya, I went to Stuyvesant HS. Let me know by PM where you went and when.
As to the topic of racism, I don't think this comment by Wilson was in any way racist.
It was misspoken in time and place for sure but that's just poor judgement and not a reflection of people in the south in general.

Did someone here say that? If they did then I missed it.

I agree that Wilson's comment wasn't racist, I am less sure of the motives those supporting him though. And I am not referring to the people of SC (who seem generally embarrassed) but of the freaks nationwide (not at milforum) who think its OK to be disrespectful to the POTUS during a national address. After the address was over they can do want they want, but for a congressman to do so while the POTUS is speaking is to disrespect not just Obama the person, but worse the office of president. I think we all agree on that last part.

The other thing that bothers me was that Wilson was not only disrespectful but flat-out wrong too.

HR BILL 3200 Section 246 "No Federal payment for undocumented aliens".

"Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States"

So not only was Wilson rude but wrong to boot...

And I think EVERYONE should note that it was NOT a liberal person who brought the race issue INTO this thread. 03USMC brought it up, not me, not Mmarsh, and NOT TOG. Shows you how much the liberals actually use the race issue...

THANKS! :D

Yeah henderson I did put it out there as point of discussion and as a pre-emptive strike. There ya feel vindicated? ! Whether or not I put it out there or not some one would have because thats the standard and current argument from the left...........now deny it.

Personally I think that Joe Brown exercised his right of free speech - I don't agree with his point of view, but that's a different matter.

If the President isn't big enough to deal with a few hecklers then he should get out of public speaking.

People have a right to say what they think, just because you are the Queen, President, Prime Minister of Grand Froo fooh doesn't mean that you are immune to other peoples opinions or speech, in fact it means that you should listen out for them!

Yes it lacked respect, but then show where respect is shown in politics or day to day life?

Yeah henderson I did put it out there as point of discussion and as a pre-emptive strike. There ya feel vindicated? ! Whether or not I put it out there or not some one would have because thats the standard and current argument from the left...........now deny it.
You think so do you? Well, coming from THE CREATOR OF THIS THREAD, and having had every opportunity to USE the race card, I say you're wrong. I might agree that it is rather suspicious that this has never happened in the history of the office until a black president, but the reason for my anger at the outburst is NOT because I think Mr. Brown is a racist. It's because he disrespected the President.

.... JUST like I said at the VERY BEGINNING of the thread, before YOU turned it in the direction you wanted to. Didn't you once give me an infraction for that?

Back