Liberals go after Single Shot Black Powder guns now....

No polie would admit to having an agenda of total ban on firearms but the proof is in the actions year after year from certain individuals exercising what's called the "salami effect" slowly slicing away, whittling rights away till we wake up one day and wonder WTF happened.

Except the 'Salami' effect is pretty obvious. When has it actually been used successfully? This is just fear-mongering among the right, trying to scare up a non-issue for election season.

GOP social platform has always run on the three 'G's. Gays, God and Guns.

If the Dems were really going to 'ban' guns they would have done so already in the 1980s when they owned Congress. The only gun law that passed was the laughable weak Assault Weapons ban. You would think that if they were seriously they would have better law. They did so just enough to please the base, and thats it.

Last edited:
Dianne Feinstein - "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."

Democrat - California

You are wrong. She said that in a 60 minutes interview about the assault weapon ban

She was referring to assault weapons, not all guns in general

Last edited:
Pixiedustboo For President '08

How many signatures do we need to get the lil frog on the ballot?

Pixiedustboo For President '08

How many signatures do we need to get the lil frog on the ballot?

how many school shootings will it take to make you lot rethink things?

oh heavens, we cant impinge on a 200 year old document, oh no! much better to treat all the kids as gun packing terrorists, demonise those who dont fit in, then very publicly mourn and grieve cry "why did this happen!!" when it does. all the while the rest of the world shakes their heads and thinks ffs

the reason you have so many gun deaths and crime, is because you have such easy access to a plethora of different weaponry....is it really that hard to see?

more guns = more gun crime

and before the right wing hate machine shows up, i am a responsible gun owner/user....i just dont see the need in owning more that two weapons, certianly not military style ones.

how many school shootings will it take to make you lot rethink things?

oh heavens, we cant impinge on a 200 year old document, oh no! much better to treat all the kids as gun packing terrorists, demonise those who dont fit in, then very publicly mourn and grieve cry "why did this happen!!" when it does. all the while the rest of the world shakes their heads and thinks ffs

Surely you know the answer to school shootings is to hand out guns at school so they can "defend" themselves at school, personally I think the solution to this is just hand them out with birth certificates.

and before the right wing hate machine shows up, i am a responsible gun owner/user....i just dont see the need in owning more that two weapons, certianly not military style ones.

Hmm not sure I qualify as the "right wing hate machine" but I would like to say that people collect things not because they need them but because they interest them, the problem is not in what you own or how many you own but in how you use them.

Hmm not sure I qualify as the "right wing hate machine" but I would like to say that people collect things not because they need them but because they interest them, the problem is not in what you own or how many you own but in how you use them.

apologies....my comment was perhaps a bit untempered...i was talking about me "personally" owning more than two.

you are exactly right, it is about how you use them. and knowing the hoops someone has to jump through here in NZ to get the fancy toys...i would have perfect faith in the ability of that person to be safe around them.

i doubt i would have that instant faith in the US where it seems like any loon can get their hands on some pretty ridiculous firearms

Inferno it is a part of our culture and as such I wouldn't expect anyone not born and raised in the US to understand the unspoken element in this whole issue. Its something you have to be an American to understand... no amount of explaining would produce an epiphany. Its like trying to explain what combat is like to someone who has never been there. They won't get it so there is no point in trying to explain it.

i doubt i would have that instant faith in the US where it seems like any loon can get their hands on some pretty ridiculous firearms

you might be surprised, I honestly can't say that I have met an American that didn't exhibit good sense when it came to firearms now obviously they exist otherwise there wouldn't be the shootings but it needs to be remembered that it is a country of 300 million they have their share of nutters and you just can't legislate to solve the problem.

To a limited extent we fool ourselves into thinking our system is working because because we don't have the same number of incidents but the reality is that it is only a matter of time before we have another Aromoana, lets face it people can go off their nut and do as much damage with a semi-automatic non-MSR as they can with one.

Inferno it is a part of our culture and as such I wouldn't expect anyone not born and raised in the US to understand the unspoken element in this whole issue. Its something you have to be an American to understand... no amount of explaining would produce an epiphany. Its like trying to explain what combat is like to someone who has never been there. They won't get it so there is no point in trying to explain it.

thats a fair call i think, sometimes i just have to have a bit of a vent you know? the school shooting issue gets to me a bit as i know when i was at school i certianly understood how these shootings come about....given a better access to arms i may have gone down that same track.

but yeah, a good point is a good point, im happy with the way things are here...it's your country, your choice

It's like the Germans and the Autobahn.... there are those in Germany that want to create a speed limit and there are organizations as large as the National Rifle Association or Gun Owners of America.

I don't care for driving fast. 80 MPH for me is about as fast as I would want to go. I don't get any thrill from driving fast. But the Germans along with many other folks do.

Firearms for me and millions of other Americans get the same thrill that many Germans get from the Autobahn. It's part of their national heritage. Firearms and America is the same expect it's a National Heritage that has been with us since this nation was founded and it's written into our most precious legal documents.

What do I see here, a consensus of opinion. It seems that there is a middle road after all, my congratulations to all concerned.

Happy, happy.

Funny thing is Spike even taking a middle of the road it will still upset the Libs.

I see nothing wrong with owning firearms, I am not an American or lived in their culture, but the right to defend yourself and your family should be high on the agenda.

I never used to think that, until the Kiwi coppers started carrying guns.

And yes I am old enough to remember that, a little telling really.

It clearly show the need for attitudes to change and people to get out of living in the 1950's.

The world is not a nice friendly place its dangerous. Quicker people realise that the better.

I see nothing wrong with owning firearms, I am not an American or lived in their culture, but the right to defend yourself and your family should be high on the agenda.

+1!!

It is high on the agenda. It's #2. Some more liberal minded people are forgetting that, or choosing to ignore it.

If they can change one AMENDMENT they can change ANY of them.

Last edited:
Back