Liberalism is England strike again....

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Samurai swords to be banned

By Emma Henry and agencies
Last Updated: 2:08am GMT 06/03/2007

The sale of imitation samurai swords could be banned by the end of the year, the Home Office announced today.
Importing or hiring the weapons could also be made illegal following a string of samurai sword attacks in recent years.
Breaching the ban, which is targeted at cheap imitation samurai swords rather than the more expensive genuine collectors' items made by licensed swordsmiths in Japan, would result in up to six months in jail and a £5,000 fine.
Collectors and martial arts enthusiasts owning or using genuine samurai swords would be exepmt from the banAccording to Home Office estimates, there have been at least 80 serious crimes involving the swords in England and Wales over the last four years.
One MP recently warned that they were being used by criminal gangs as the preferred weapon of choice after guns.
Last month, amphetamine addict Hugh Penrose was jailed for at least 19 years for hacking a 21-year-old woman with a samurai sword and then deliberately running her over.
In October, Bradley Moran was jailed for 17 years for murdering another man with a samurai sword following an argument in a nightclub.
It is currently legal to buy samurai swords - which are freely available at martial arts shops and on the internet - provided they are not brandished in a public place.
The Home Office now wants to ban their sale as part of a wider crackdown on knives and bladed weapons.
Carrying a samurai sword in a public place already attracts a maximum jail sentence of four years.
Vernon Coaker, the Home Office minister, said today: "Samurai sword crime is low in volume but high in profile and I recognise it can have a devastating impact.
"Banning the sale, import and hire will take more dangerous weapons out of circulation, making our streets safer.
"We recognise it is the cheap, easily-available samurai swords which are being used in crime and not the genuine, more expensive samurai swords which are of interest to collectors and martial arts enthusiasts."
"It is already illegal to have a samurai sword in a public place but I want to restrict the number of dangerous weapons in circulation to enhance community safety."
The plans are outlined in a consultation paper, Banning Offensive Weapons, published by the Home Office today.
At present there are 17 weapons, including knuckle-dusters and batons, on the Offensive Weapons Order.
The exemptions would be for groups such as the To-ken Society of Great Britain and the British Kendo Association.
Last year, Tory MP James Brokenshire (Hornchurch) said cheap samurai swords were as easy to buy "as purchasing a Lotto ticket".
Once again, liberalism strike. Since they think that banning items from the public will reduce crime, they're goign to try and ban folks from owning swords.

What proves that banning firearms or any other weapon from the public doesn't work is this simply quote right here.

One MP recently warned that they were being used by criminal gangs as the preferred weapon of choice after guns.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/05/nsamurai105.xml

Criminals still get a hold of firearms. What makes you think that banning swords will stop them from getting swords or other wepaons.

Last edited:
I agree with this ban, theres been too many nutters running about with these imitation things in the past coupla years then there should have been. Don't think anyone i know would disagree with this here. Don't think this is liberalism, this is Britain or more specifically England and Wales.

Ideally we'd ban nutters instead of lethal weapons but as we can't ban nutters per se we'l ban as many weapons as possible to reduce the chances of nutters killing people. Reduce the number of available weapons, divert resources to confiscating the illegal ones

Its true, they'l probably get other weapons if they can't get samurai swords but then the extra time they spend looking for that weapon will mean the extra time some poor fella has on earth.

Banning weapons isn't their only strategy though, they're looking at other measures too
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6424671.stm

England is the birthplace of liberalism. Its earliest proponents were British as were some of its greatest Prime Ministers.

Who here has ever gone over the posted speed limit?

However it is only banning the cheap imitation ones which as a blade collector myself I don't mind, gets rid of the cheap crap....

I see their logic...

Last edited:
Yes, this way only nutters with money can buy them. More misguided half-assed legislation. I'm just glad to see it on the other side of the pond too, I was beginning to wonder if we had cornered the market in the US on stupid politicians.

I'm sort of on the middle.

I respect Law enforcements right to keep dangerous weapons out of gangs hands. On the other hand, I respect collectors right to acquire rare pieces.

I seriously doubt a gang member will use a 15th century Tokugawa period katana which are priceless.

Back