Liberal Bias doesn't exist?

Don't tell me anybody on these forums actually believes what ANY news broadcast says.
trust me on this people, listen, then do research to see if its true.

We used to have a saying in the Navy....Trust, but verify.... Cold war sayings still hold some power today.

I watch the news, then I get on the computer and find out WHY the driver of a car went off the road, was he drunk? was he asleep at the wheel? was the road at fault? did a bomb go off next to him.

Don't tell me anybody on these forums actually believes what ANY news broadcast says.
trust me on this people, listen, then do research to see if its true.

We used to have a saying in the Navy....Trust, but verify.... Cold war sayings still hold some power today.

I watch the news, then I get on the computer and find out WHY the driver of a car went off the road, was he drunk? was he asleep at the wheel? was the road at fault? did a bomb go off next to him.

Depends on the media. I generally trust printed news more than I trust broadcast news, because journalists have to take greater care of what they write. Writing about whatever BS can come back to haunt you. People BSing news stories can get away with it much more easily on TV and Radio.

Bottom line, it doesnt sell ad space....

Death and destruction, well everyone tunes in....
Sad thing is, destruction of people's reputations isn't beneath the news either... Even if it goes against the good of the people. Nothing is below the media (papers, magazines, webcasts, blogs, TV, etc.)

It looks to me like more like right wing, or pro Israeli bias in the media

A protest is to be held outside the BBC's London HQ over its refusal to broadcast a charity appeal for Gaza.

The BBC says it cannot show the appeal by the Disasters Emergency Committee because it does not want to compromise its commitment to impartiality. But health minister Ben Bradshaw, a former BBC journalist, said it was "an inexplicable decision" and that the reasons given were "completely feeble".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7848614.stm

The answer to this "bias" issue is that you have to get your news from different sources. I listen to NPR and Foxnews among others. That way I can decide for myself.

The answer to this "bias" issue is that you have to get your news from different sources. I listen to NPR and Foxnews among others. That way I can decide for myself.

If you want to listen to a conservatibe standpoint, do yourself a favor read the WSJ, at least they attempt to be even-handed. I read it, although I rarely agree with the editorial staff at least it isn't the GOP cheerleader squad.

Personally I think they should put the same health warning labels on FOXNEWS as they do on cigarettes...

If you want to listen to a conservatibe standpoint, do yourself a favor read the WSJ, at least they attempt to be even-handed. I read it, although I rarely agree with the editorial staff at least it isn't the GOP cheerleader squad.

Personally I think they should put the same health warning labels on FOXNEWS as they do on cigarettes...

LOL. Though the fairness doctrine might require that the same warnings be posted on NBC News.

I assume you are talking about Chris Matthews and Keith Olberman

There is a major difference compared to FOX NEWS. Neither one of those shows call themselves a news organization. Do they lean left? Sure. But they are opinion shows like Rush and the conservative radio shows. They do not manipulate the population by calling themselves "Fair and Balanced" when they are anything but. Its false advertising.

My objection to FOX is not that its rightwing, its because it calls political propaganda as accurate news. When a news program goes as far as to purposely manipulate stories, say things that are blatantly untrue, that is no longer reporting the news. FOX has even been caught reading word for word Bush WH press bulletins and then passing it off as the news. During the 2006 election when the GOP got kicked out of Congress, they were deliberately distorting election results, by reporting the losers as Democrats and the winners as Republicans (when in fact it was exactly the opposite way around).

Nobody has gone as far as FOX has. Frankly with a new President I hope the FCC steps in and makes some changes. Mind you, I am not saying FOX doesnt have to report what it wants (Freedom of Speach), but they do not have the right as a News Program to deliberately mislead the public.

FOX so bias, that they got sued in the UK (and I believe Canada as well) as well because it is against the law for a NEWS Organization to have such a obvious agenda.

Last edited:

There is a major difference compared to FOX NEWS. Neither one of those shows call themselves a news organization. Do they lean left? Sure. But they are opinion shows like Rush and the conservative shows. They do not manipulate the population by calling themselves "Fair and Balanced" when they are anything but. Its false advertising.

My objection to FOX is not that its rightwing, its because it calls political propaganda as accurate news. One a news program goes as far as no purposely manipulate stories, stay things that are blatantly untrue that is no longer the news. They have even been caugh reading word for word Bush WH press bulletins and then passing it off as the news.

Nobody has gone as far as FOX has.

Its so bias, that they got sued in the UK (and I believe Canada) as well because it is against the law for a NEWS Organization to have such a obvious agenda.

I also get my news from cnn, bbc, rush limbaugh, sean hannity, the local news paper etc. My point is that you have to try to get your news from a variety of medias and sources. I'm sorry you feel so biased against Fox News. I try not to discount any sources as you will still likely get some useful information out of them.

There is a major difference compared to FOX NEWS. Neither one of those shows call themselves a news organization. Do they lean left? Sure. But they are opinion shows like Rush and the conservative radio shows. They do not manipulate the population by calling themselves "Fair and Balanced" when they are anything but. Its false advertising.

My objection to FOX is not that its rightwing, its because it calls political propaganda as accurate news. When a news program goes as far as to purposely manipulate stories, say things that are blatantly untrue, that is no longer reporting the news. FOX has even been caught reading word for word Bush WH press bulletins and then passing it off as the news. During the 2006 election when the GOP got kicked out of Congress, they were deliberately distorting election results, by reporting the losers as Democrats and the winners as Republicans (when in fact it was exactly the opposite way around).

Nobody has gone as far as FOX has. Frankly with a new President I hope the FCC steps in and makes some changes. Mind you, I am not saying FOX doesnt have to report what it wants (Freedom of Speach), but they do not have the right as a News Program to deliberately mislead the public.

FOX so bias, that they got sued in the UK (and I believe Canada as well) as well because it is against the law for a NEWS Organization to have such a obvious agenda.

I will agree with the fox news bit. Alan Colmes left the network and Glen Beck came on board...

...but you cannot deny that MSNBC is 100% in the democrat's corner. Even before the election I caught little remarks that basically said democrats were intelligent and the right view. During the election, MSNBC was completely without a doubt for President Obama just as Fox news was for McCain.

The winner in the last election was CNN. I thought they leaned a little to President Obama but give him a lot of critism too.

Well if CNN won the election they lost on the Blagojevich scandal. I was channel surfing yesterday and this was the headline that greeted me:

Blagojevich Scandal: Influenced by Unions?

Not a story, not a statement; they're just asking a question. Or, we're out of stuff to talk about so we'll just make it up because it looks interesting and people will watch.

Possible Conservative bias there...

I would not call one headline or one story supporting one party or another bias, but turn on MSNBC or Fox News and you will see a consistent trend to liberal or conservative. CNN, in my opinion, falls somewhere in the middle.

You guys know, we had a saying back in the 80's about things like govt, the Russians, news media, things like that our saying was "trust, but Verify". Therefore when I watch the news now days, I trust when they all say, but I don't believe it until I verify it.

I would not call one headline or one story supporting one party or another bias, but turn on MSNBC or Fox News and you will see a consistent trend to liberal or conservative. CNN, in my opinion, falls somewhere in the middle.

I think CNN follows in the catagory S, (S for Stupid). I mean all they seem to be interested in is which Hollywood actress got a Boobjob. All the inane babble from people like Larry King just hurts my head.

Even the 'politics' part of the show is lame. When Wolf Blitzer actually decides to throw a tough question, I think the world might stop. Unfortunately CNN has taken the path of the sponge (no backbone) they are so afraid of being called bias that they simply avoid anything but the slowest of softball questions.

The only one is allowed to speak his mind is Jack Cafferty, whom is probably a Democrat but at least says what he thinks, whether you agree or not.

For example, Cafferty was the only journalist to actually say Sarah Palin was unfit to be Vice-President, which was pretty pathetic because by election night it was pretty clear thats what almost everybody (except the absolute extreme elements) was thinking.

A journalist shouldnt have to be afraid to be called bias because he states the obvious.

Back