Libby accuses Bush of leaking

Ted

I can't believe that I am the first to start a thread about this, or I am missing something... In Holland it wa all over the news that Libby pointed to Bush for leaking too. I know that Bush will probably survive this as well, but what are the effects?
How much credibility is left? I bet if this would have happened to Clinton there would have been 5 Kenneth Stars ready to cruxify him!

But the political impact of the disclosure could be significant. It suggests that Mr. Libby, who has been charged with perjury and obstruction in the C.I.A. leak case, may argue as part of his defense that any information he leaked was on the instructions of his two superiors, Mr. Cheney and Mr. Bush. However, the sections of the N.I.E. that Mr. Libby said he was freed to discuss make no mention of Valerie Plame, the C.I.A. officer who was exposed in the course of the arguments over the intelligence, prompting the leak investigation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/06/washington/06cnd-leak.html?ex=1159934400&en=c95acece631eb0bf&ei=5087&excamp=GGGNbushleak

This is an excerpt from an article on the topic. Take it how you want it. It seems to me that Libby is under pressure and is grabbing at whatever lifeline he can to keep his butt out of the fire.

Last edited:
Ted said:
I can't believe that I am the first to start a thread about this, or I am missing something... In Holland it wa all over the news that Libby pointed to Bush for leaking too. I know that Bush will probably survive this as well, but what are the effects?
How much credibility is left? I bet if this would have happened to Clinton there would have been 5 Kenneth Stars ready to cruxify him!

Nah, Clinton made his own messes, and the Republicans just made them more messy.

Libby is grasping at straws. Whether his accusation is true or not has yet to be proven.

Until there is some proof, this is just another political game of hang man. I don't care how much the media wants to make out of it.

I always thought it was BS to begin with, the girl ran around telling everyone she was a CIA agent anyway.

PJ24 said:
I always thought it was BS to begin with, the girl ran around telling everyone she was a CIA agent anyway.

Gotta love some of the training in regards to OPSEC/PERSEC lol.

As posted I agree. This is someone or someones out to further discredit the POTUS. Anyway you slice it or dice it you have to admit that more and more people and groups of people are coming up with crap to slander the POTUS with. This is just another case of that in my opinion.

phoenix80 said:
don't get excited...

If President authorizes some thing it is not illegal or criminal
phoenix80, you don't have any idea what you are talking about.
In the USA the president is NOT above the law.
:mad:

tomtom22 said:
phoenix80, you don't have any idea what you are talking about.
In the USA the president is NOT above the law.
:mad:

I do have an idea about what I am talking about.

The left is trying to discredit president Bush and whether he is acting within the law or not is not my point though.

The left DOES NOT have to discredit GW ...

phoenix80 said:
I do have an idea about what I am talking about.

The left is trying to discredit president Bush and whether he is acting within the law or not is not my point though.
Sorry to confuse the issue of this thread ... but ... elsewhere you should find an article that states in part ... "The president said he declassified the information and directed the declassified information be disseminated to the news media" thus uncovering an active CIA agent in time of war (even if not declared).

The left DOES NOT have to discredit GW, he is doing it to himself. The POTUS can declassify information ... but ... even he still has to follow certain protocols. What he did is against the very National Security legislation he signed into law.

The last time I looked, violation of National Security by a sitting president was grounds for impeachment. (If he were impeached, at least it wouldn't be because someone lied about a sexual encounter ... this would be much more serious than that).

We will see if the Teflon President manages to slide out from under this boodoggle like he has slid out from under others.

Last edited:
Chief Bones said:
Sorry to confuse the issue of this thread ... but ... elsewhere you should find an article that states in part ... "The president said he declassified the information and directed the declassified information be disseminated to the news media" thus uncovering an active CIA agent in time of war (even if not declared).

The left DOES NOT have to discredit GW, he is doing it to himself. The POTUS can declassify information ... but ... even he still has to follow certain protocols. What he did is against the very National Security legislation he signed into law.

The last time I looked, violation of National Security by a sitting president was grounds for impeachment. (If he were impeached, at least it wouldn't be because someone lied about a sexual encounter ... this would be much more serious than that).

We will see if the Teflon President manages to slide out from under this boodoggle like he has slid out from under others.

LMAO

If you say so!

Leftists and DemoNrats are discrediting themselves by having no plans to run the USA. So to speak they are discredited in the first place.

Thank goodness... GWB is in the white house

I haven't seen any proof that the POTUS authorized anything, and if he did, big friggin' deal.

Mrs. Plame outed herself. Photo shoot in Vanity Fair ring a bell? Blabbing to anyone at the local DC cocktail parties isn't any way of keeping up PERSC/OPSEC. She was the world's worst "NOC." Of course, she's been driving a desk for years now.

This entire thing is a sham and a waste of tax payers money.

If President authorizes some thing it is not illegal or criminal

Nope, that's very wrong. Go ask Nixon.

Where were these **** when Clintoon lied to the American public?

Dems are just Bunch of hypocrites on every issue

phoenix80 said:

Who is it that keeps telling Chief to take anger management classes or makes comments concerning them?

On to the topic. . .

I agree that there are protocols concerning the declassification of information. We will have to wait and see what reports come out and what the findings of the investigations are. Hopefully it will be fairly clear cut and things will go apace one way or the other.

Marinerhodes said:
Who is it that keeps telling Chief to take anger management classes or makes comments concerning them?

On to the topic. . .

Those who are ALWAYS angry and sound pathetic should go to anger management classes, not me cuz I am not angry at all!

:p

But the DemocRATs make me mad!

Okay, lets be serious: what Bush did was to de-classify info and then gave it to Scooter Libby.

There is nothing wrong with it though!

Leak is what MSM is using to discredit president Bush.

they are trying to get the public to believe that Bush gave permission for someone to reveal the Valerie Plame;s name. This whole "leak" thing has nothing to do with that. It's really not a big deal. but the msm is trying to make something of it that it isn't.

Joe Wilson came back from his trip to Africa with a report about Yellowcake. That was classified info, right? Then he signed up with Kerry campaign and released info exactly opposite of what his report was. he is a liar and senate proved his lies.
He was thrown off the Kerry campaign because of this and the MSM never brings this up because it discredits the leftists.
SO, the White House decided to set the record straight, and say what the original report REALLY said. That's this supoosed leak

It isn't a leak if the President reveals information that is not classified any more.

Last edited:
A Good Leak

President Bush declassified some of the intelligence he used to decide on war in Iraq. Is that a scandal?

[SIZE=-1]Sunday, April 9, 2006; B06
[/SIZE]
PRESIDENT BUSH was right to approve the declassification of parts of a National Intelligence Estimate about Iraq three years ago in order to make clear why he had believed that Saddam Hussein was seeking nuclear weapons. Presidents are authorized to declassify sensitive material, and the public benefits when they do. But the administration handled the release clumsily, exposing Mr. Bush to the hyperbolic charges of misconduct and hypocrisy that Democrats are leveling.

Rather than follow the usual declassification procedures and then invite reporters to a briefing -- as the White House eventually did -- Vice President Cheney initially chose to be secretive, ordering his chief of staff at the time, I. Lewis Libby, to leak the information to a favorite New York Times reporter. The full public disclosure followed 10 days later. There was nothing illegal or even particularly unusual about that; nor is this presidentially authorized leak necessarily comparable to other, unauthorized disclosures that the president believes, rightly or wrongly, compromise national security. Nevertheless, Mr. Cheney's tactics make Mr. Bush look foolish for having subsequently denounced a different leak in the same controversy and vowing to "get to the bottom" of it.

The affair concerns, once again, former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV and his absurdly over-examined visit to the African country of Niger in 2002. Each time the case surfaces, opponents of the war in Iraq use it to raise a different set of charges, so it's worth recalling the previous iterations. Mr. Wilson originally claimed in a 2003 New York Times op-ed and in conversations with numerous reporters that he had debunked a report that Iraq was seeking to purchase uranium from Niger and that Mr. Bush's subsequent inclusion of that allegation in his State of the Union address showed that he had deliberately "twisted" intelligence "to exaggerate the Iraq threat." The material that Mr. Bush ordered declassified established, as have several subsequent investigations, that Mr. Wilson was the one guilty of twisting the truth. In fact, his report supported the conclusion that Iraq had sought uranium.

Mr. Wilson subsequently claimed that the White House set out to punish him for his supposed whistle-blowing by deliberately blowing the cover of his wife, Valerie Plame, who he said was an undercover CIA operative. This prompted the investigation by Special Counsel Patrick J. Fitzgerald. After more than 2 1/2 years of investigation, Mr. Fitzgerald has reported no evidence to support Mr. Wilson's charge. In last week's court filings, he stated that Mr. Bush did not authorize the leak of Ms. Plame's identity. Mr. Libby's motive in allegedly disclosing her name to reporters, Mr. Fitzgerald said, was to disprove yet another false assertion, that Mr. Wilson had been dispatched to Niger by Mr. Cheney. In fact Mr. Wilson was recommended for the trip by his wife. Mr. Libby is charged with perjury, for having lied about his discussions with two reporters. Yet neither the columnist who published Ms. Plame's name, Robert D. Novak, nor Mr. Novak's two sources have been charged with any wrongdoing.

As Mr. Fitzgerald pointed out at the time of Mr. Libby's indictment last fall, none of this is particularly relevant to the question of whether the grounds for war in Iraq were sound or bogus. It's unfortunate that those who seek to prove the latter would now claim that Mr. Bush did something wrong by releasing for public review some of the intelligence he used in making his most momentous decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/08/AR2006040800895_pf.html

So if I am right the opinions are that A) it remains to be seen if it is true at all. That man saying this has is ass in a sling-shot and will hang unless he can prove he was following orders. Right?
B) If Bush declassifies information, it isn't "legally wrong" to leak it. You could object to it morally, but that is enough to get impeached.

Interesting....

Ted said:
So if I am right the opinions are that A) it remains to be seen if it is true at all. That man saying this has is ass in a sling-shot and will hang unless he can prove he was following orders. Right?
B) If Bush declassifies information, it isn't "legally wrong" to leak it. You could object to it morally, but that is enough to get impeached.

Interesting....

It is not even morally wrong, it is morally right!

And he handed out previously declassified info to make the case clear for the people and I don't see any thing wrong with it though.

And hey, dont get excited about Bush impeachment. LoL

How naive... the both house and senate are run by GOP people and that dream will never go through.

phoenix80 said:

I was calling for him to be censured by the House and Senate ... I didn't believe that his crime rose to the level of impeachment ... his lie was about sex for a legal proceeding that was dismissed because of lack of evidence and the impeachment proceedings were politically motivated.

At that time, I was pulling for the Democrats so don't use **** (profanity) when you refer to me.

The biggest hypocrite I've seen posting on this forum recently, consistently calls people names instead of discussing an issue.

What is the matter, can't you get past the Clinton years? (At least I can spell the name correctly).

Last edited:
Chief Bones said:
I was calling for him to be censured by the House and Senate ... I didn't believe that his crime rose to the level of impeachment ... his lie was about sex for a legal proceeding that was dismissed because of lack of evidence and the impeachment proceedings were politically motivated.

At that time, I was pulling for the Democrats so don't use **** (profanity) when you refer to me.

The biggest hypocrite I've seen posting on this forum recently, consistently calls people names instead of discussing an issue.

What is the matter, can't you get past the Clinton years? (At least I can spell the name correctly).

No, I can't get past the Clintoon and other Demonrats POTUS becuz most of the mess the world got into is due to the incompetent presidents like Carter or Clintoon.

That is a fact and it is up to you to digest this fact not me.

((I did misspell his name intentionally))

phoenix80 said:
No, I can't get past the Clintoon and other Demonrats POTUS becuz most of the mess the world got into is due to the incompetent presidents like Carter or Clintoon.

That is a fact and it is up to you to digest this fact not me.

((I did misspell his name intentionally))
I am sorry you have chosen to intentionally ignore the one single person who is MOST responsible for the mess we are in today ... your buddy King George is behind almost every trouble spot we face to day ... the one exception was the 9/11 attack ... and ... even then, he had forewarning that there was a heightened danger that the United States itself was going to be a target for terrorism. As I said, you (like so many Republicans, can't seem to get past the fact that you failed to remove Clinton from office with your politically motivated impeachment proceedings).

SOOOOO - who is living in a pretend world ... you can choose to stick your head in the sand but the rest of us know what the real truth is.

Back