letters from Iwo Jima

JulesLee

lettersfromiwojima_posterbig.jpg

releases dec 20 (limited)

Directed by : Clint Eastwood
Starring: Ken Watanabe, Kazunari Ninomiya, Tsuyoshi Ihara, Ryo Kase, Shido Nakamura

Academy Award nominee Ken Watanabe (“The Last Samurai,” “Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Batman Begins”) stars as General Tadamichi Kuribayashi, the American-educated general who courageously led the Japanese resistance to the massive American onslaught of the island of Iwo Jima.

Basically "Flags of our Fathers" in the Japanese's Perspective

Last edited:
i wanna watch this too but nearest movie station that airs this is real far :(

so i guess its this vs departed for the oscar win i heard

Last edited:
I have heard it was released in Japan and got great reviews. I remember on review for flags of our fathers complained that you really did not see the Japanese soldiers in the movie. I wanted to slap that loser since he knows movies so well I guess he forgot that there was a second movie dedicated to the Japaneses side of the battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only in NY and LA right now. I heard it's going wide on 12 Jan. How wide I don't know. I still didn't see Flags. According to Amazon, the Flags of our Fathers DVD is comming out February 6.

It's only in NY and LA right now. I heard it's going wide on 12 Jan. How wide I don't know. I still didn't see Flags. According to Amazon, the Flags of our Fathers DVD is comming out February 6.

Netflix also has a Release date of February 6th, for Flags of our Fathers, I've got it saved already.

I'll also wait untill Netflix has Letters from Iwo Jima to see it.

IMDb already has a review
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0498380/

10 out of 10 Stars from someone from Brazil

Would you guys that saw Letters of Iwo Jima recommend it? I just joined the Corps and my father is a Former Marine so I want to go with him but I don't want to go if it's just a bad movie.

Saw it, last night. It was good.

Well, Letters from Iwo Jima is pretty interesting movie but lot of war violence, tho. So, I don't think it's bad movie, to my opinion.

Its a good flick Wheez and for a Hollywood film pretty historically accurate by most accounts.

I couldn't call it enjoyable because I don't find body parts flying about something I "enjoy" but it was very engrossing and moving.

Does this movie change your view on Japanese troops? I know that they were vicious and had no mercy for the American prisoners of war. But I was wondering if this movie is trying to paint them with color of humanity and sanity...

After reading the horror stories about the Japanese bayonetting Chinese tied to trees, I doubt this movie will redeem them to me. Still, if it's a good movie, I'll watch.

After reading the horror stories about the Japanese bayonetting Chinese tied to trees, I doubt this movie will redeem them to me. Still, if it's a good movie, I'll watch.

Same, the only movie I have seen that came even relatively close to approaching the real horror the Japanese afflicted on their enemies was Flags of our Fathers, and even that was in a limited number of scenes.

Remember that CLINT EASTWOOD OPPOSES IRAQ WAR BUT ADMIRES Pres BUSH. “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

Hollywood icon Clint Eastwood has said he opposed the United States' decision to go to war in Iraq but said he admired the "tenacity" of President George W. Bush.
In an interview with Fox News, Eastwood, who has been nominated for a best director Oscar at this month's Academy Awards for World War Two movie "Letters from Iwo Jima", said he was against the US-led 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Last edited:
It was a great movie. If you haven't seen it, go. I just saw it yesterday. I especially loved Kuribayashi's 1911. It looked beautiful. It wins the Best Supporting Weapon award.

It showed that some of the Japanese weren't totally evil, but it also shows some that were.

Great movie, saw it last night.
Haven't seen Flags of our Fathers yet, but that one's next in line.

Same, the only movie I have seen that came even relatively close to approaching the real horror the Japanese afflicted on their enemies was Flags of our Fathers, and even that was in a limited number of scenes.

"To End All Wars" is a good movie to see what the Japanese were like - at least to POW's. The entire movie is factual without any fiction and the script comes almost direct from the diary of CAPT Ernest Gordon (Kiefer Sutherland plays the only American in the Thai POW camp). The question of forgiving the enemy becomes powerful at the end.

As to Clint Eastwood's "Iwo Jima" which I saw yesterday - excellent movie. Highly recommend.

Watched Flags of our Fathers and Letter from Iwo Jima back to back last weekend.

Both incredible films, I definitely recommend both!

Back