letters from Iwo Jima - Page 2

--

February 7th, 2007  
phoenix80

Does this movie change your view on Japanese troops? I know that they were vicious and had no mercy for the American prisoners of war. But I was wondering if this movie is trying to paint them with color of humanity and sanity...
February 10th, 2007  
major liability

After reading the horror stories about the Japanese bayonetting Chinese tied to trees, I doubt this movie will redeem them to me. Still, if it's a good movie, I'll watch.
February 11th, 2007  
bulldogg

Hey the more realistic the training...
--
February 11th, 2007  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by major liability
After reading the horror stories about the Japanese bayonetting Chinese tied to trees, I doubt this movie will redeem them to me. Still, if it's a good movie, I'll watch.
Same, the only movie I have seen that came even relatively close to approaching the real horror the Japanese afflicted on their enemies was Flags of our Fathers, and even that was in a limited number of scenes.
February 11th, 2007  
phoenix80

Remember that CLINT EASTWOOD OPPOSES IRAQ WAR BUT ADMIRES Pres BUSH. “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

Quote:
Hollywood icon Clint Eastwood has said he opposed the United States' decision to go to war in Iraq but said he admired the "tenacity" of President George W. Bush.
In an interview with Fox News, Eastwood, who has been nominated for a best director Oscar at this month's Academy Awards for World War Two movie "Letters from Iwo Jima", said he was against the US-led 2003 invasion of Iraq.
February 11th, 2007  
istealfreefood

It was a great movie. If you haven't seen it, go. I just saw it yesterday. I especially loved Kuribayashi's 1911. It looked beautiful. It wins the Best Supporting Weapon award.

It showed that some of the Japanese weren't totally evil, but it also shows some that were.
March 13th, 2007  
Redleg

Great movie, saw it last night.
Haven't seen Flags of our Fathers yet, but that one's next in line.
March 15th, 2007  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Hey the more realistic the training...
Hey if there's a battlefield out there with all my enemies tied to trees, I'm in !!
March 22nd, 2007  
Padre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Same, the only movie I have seen that came even relatively close to approaching the real horror the Japanese afflicted on their enemies was Flags of our Fathers, and even that was in a limited number of scenes.
"To End All Wars" is a good movie to see what the Japanese were like - at least to POW's. The entire movie is factual without any fiction and the script comes almost direct from the diary of CAPT Ernest Gordon (Kiefer Sutherland plays the only American in the Thai POW camp). The question of forgiving the enemy becomes powerful at the end.

As to Clint Eastwood's "Iwo Jima" which I saw yesterday - excellent movie. Highly recommend.
June 9th, 2007  
mackie

Watched Flags of our Fathers and Letter from Iwo Jima back to back last weekend.

Both incredible films, I definitely recommend both!