Btry C 535th AAA (AW) Bn
APO 230 c/o Postmaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service Jan 19, 1945
Passed by: US Army Examiner 31657 signed by ??? Harmony
Belgium
Jan 7, 1945
Dear Friends
I just received your welcome letter so I will answer it right away. Your letter was dated Nov. 24. It sure took a long time for that one to get here. Mail sure travels slow now days. I been receiving your mail OK only a month & a half late but that isn’t so bad for the Xmas rush was on at that time. So you are well pleased with what you have and got in 1944. I am glad to hear that everything turned out OK for you & hope 45 will be the same.
Maybe some day I will be able to start something for myself, such as a nice farm or some thing I can call my own & make a future of.
What kind of winter have you this year? I remember the last one I spent in Iowa on a few days vacation was cold & lots of snow. I remember my cousin Lenard & your sister Eleanor had supper in Ossian with your folks. I think it was 1938. Eleanor will remember. Well getting back to winter we have it over here not very much snow yet & it hasn’t been very cold. Sure hope it don’t get any colder.
Well Xmas wasn’t very good this year but as good as could be expected. I guess you know why it wasn’t so good if you listen to the radio. You were saying they drafted some more young fellows that sure will make a shortage of help for next summer, but it has to be done & we can’t do anything about it & just hope for the best.
Well I will have to close for this time. Best of Luck to you all.
As ever a friend
Clarence
M.

[Paul's Comments: Smack dab in the middle of the Battle of the Bulge; no details, of course, but just that it wasn't so nice]
December 3rd, 2014  
pgwenthold

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA (AW) Bn
APO 230 c/o Postmaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service 158?? Feb 8, 1945
Passed by US Examiner 31657 (signed Lt D. Christiansen)
Belgium
Feb 3, 1945
Dear Friends
I received your welcome letter so I will answer it right away.
I hope you are all OK & are enjoying the new year. The new year is a month old now & we have had some rain just like a spring day but I don’t believe it will last. It is two early yet for that kind of weather.
I see by your letter that you were having cold weather. Is it still cold there & is there a lot of snow?
You asked about Xmas well we didn’t even know the difference from any other day. But we were all wishing and hopeing for the best. Next year we are all hopeing to spend next Xmas home.
I received the Xmas package you sent & thanks a lot it was swell.
My young brother Jim is here now he is some where in Italy. I sure didn’t like to hear that he was over here. I think he is two young to be over but I guess there is a lot of them that shouldn’t be here.
I worry about him, but I guess he can take care of him self. It don’t seem like he should be out of school yet. Because he was just going to grade school when I left! & I been gone for 14 years. So he grew up while I was gone.
The years sure fly past. The first thing I know I’ll be an old man.
Say how is Eleanor & her family? Fine I hope. She is about the only girl I know there in Iowa. My cousin Len & her & I had some good times at dances around Calmer. She showed us around. How big a family has she got?
I just received a letter from my folks a few days ago & every one seems to be OK.
My uncle’s oldest boy was shot in the head while there was deer season back home. He has been unconscious for a long time. I don’t know how he is now.
Just a accident I guess as near as they can tell. I guess every one has tough luck in life & some have more than there share.
Well I can’t find any more to write about so I will close for this time.
Best of Luck to you all.
As ever a friend
Clarence
M.

[paul's comment: more complaints about the Army; we'll see more soon. The reference to the deer hunting accident is interesting; I have a letter from his mother from Dec where she talks about it; however, that letter has been the victim of a mouse, and so I wasn't able to figure out all the details; I will need to investigate to figure out who it is, but I don't have time]
December 3rd, 2014  
pgwenthold

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA (AW) Bn
APO 230 c/o Postmaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army (cut out)
Passed by US Army Examiner: Lt. ??? Harmony
Germany
March 7, 1945
Dear Friends
Just a few lines to let you know that I received your letter about a week ago so I will answer it now while I have time.
We are now in Germany and are doing well. Sure hope we can still keep moving. So far Germany is a nice place that is as far as country goes.
Spring seems to be here now any way. The Grass is green & there isn’t any more frost left in the ground. I bet it is nice in the summer when the crops are all growing. Some of the land is level plains & you can look a long way.
I suppose you are getting ready to start spring work & to get your grain in.
Yes if I could have the chance to be back for putting in the crops I would be happy & I suppose lots other would to.
The Mail has been coming out slow so we haven’t been getting very much mail lately.
It sure makes us feel good when we get lots of it.
Do you ever hear from Paul Elpert? I haven’t heard from him for a long time. Sure hope he is OK.
Well I guess I will have to close for now & will write more next time.
Hope this finds you all in the best of health.
As ever a friend
Clarence

[Paul's comment: The Battle of the Bulge is over and they have advanced on Germany. Things are going well!]
--
December 3rd, 2014  
pgwenthold

[no envelope]
Germany
Mar 15, 1945
Dear Friends
I just got your letter & was glad to hear from you again.
The letter was dated Feb. 9 so it took its time getting here.
Well just so it gets here is all that counts I guess.
Yes we did have a tought time for a while but it is going well again. So far Germany is a nice country some of it is sure some swell farming land. My Grandpa Kessler came from some place over here but I don’t know just where. I will have to ask mother she maybe will know what part of Germany he came from.
The weather has been swell the last week so I can’t kick on the weather. Sure hope it don’t get worse. There isn’t any frost & the grass sure is growing.
What kind of weather are you having there in Iowa?
How is your mother & dad. I hope they are over grippe by this time. They must be getting long in the years, aren’t they?
You haven’t any sons in the Army, have you? Sure hope you never have. It sure isn’t a good place for any one. Hope my brother Bill never has to come over seas. Jim & I should be enought, don’t you think so?
I guess me & the armed forces will never agree.
So you see I still don’t like it.
Well there isn’t any more to write about so I will close for this time.
Best of luck to you all.
A Friend as ever
Clarence

[Paul's comment: Clarence's grandfather, Carl Kessler, was born in Baden, Germany in 1860. The "grippe" is the flu, generally. The folks he refers to our my Great-grandparents, Barney and Theresa Kleve. They actually lived 15 years after this time, both dying in 1960. And more complaints about the Army. My grandparents in fact did have a few boys who ended up in the army, but my Dad was the only one who saw action (Korea)]
December 3rd, 2014  
dadsgirl

Ah, the Ides of March.
I'll miss reading the letters when the're no more. You're so lucky. I wish I had some kind of correspondence from or to my Dad (WWll also). Pieces missing.
The weather reports and such mundane things are not that to me. They are lovely. The love interest he has had is very perplexing though. I'll have to read about that again. Hmmm.I enjoy a good mystery, but this is real.
Thank you again.
Dadsgirl

p.s. if you want, there are a couple of photos of my Dad in the WWll Gallery. Handsome guy...had hair back then too.
December 3rd, 2014  
pgwenthold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgirl
Ah, the Ides of March.
I'll miss reading the letters when the're no more. You're so lucky. I wish I had some kind of correspondence from or to my Dad (WWll also). Pieces missing.
The weather reports and such mundane things are not that to me. They are lovely. The love interest he has had is very perplexing though.
I have read ahead a little, but even so I don't quite understand the Marie storyline yet. We are getting close, though. The next letters are from May and we know Marie was married in June. Maybe he'll talk more about it.

I am working hard to get them all typed up because I want to deliver them to his family around Christmas. I've been invited to their family Christmas get-together but won't be able to make it. However, we are planning to go visit them still before Christmas. Assuming the weather is ok. It's in the middle of Wisconsin at the end of December.
December 3rd, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwenthold
I have read ahead a little, but even so I don't quite understand the Marie storyline yet. We are getting close, though. The next letters are from May and we know Marie was married in June. Maybe he'll talk more about it.

I am working hard to get them all typed up because I want to deliver them to his family around Christmas. I've been invited to their family Christmas get-together but won't be able to make it. However, we are planning to go visit them still before Christmas. Assuming the weather is ok. It's in the middle of Wisconsin at the end of December.
Wouldn't it be easier to photocopy or photograph them so that you can have a digital copy?
December 4th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Cpl Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA (AW) Bn
APO 230 c/o Postmaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service May 7, 1945
Passed by US Inspector 31657 (signed by Lt. ??? Harmony)
Germany
May 6, 1945
Dear Friends
I Received your letter & was glad to hear from you again.
I see by your letter that you are all OK & hope that this one finds you the same. I am well only for a cold so I guess I can’t kick about anything.
The weather you are now I suppose is a lot different from what we been having. It’s been snowing a little & raining & most of the time cold wind & I sure don’t like it for this time of year.
How is your grain doing after the snow storm you had?
It must you busy takeing care of your little chickens & pigs.
I heard from my brother Jim the other day & he well he is some where over here in Germany. I would like to see him but chances are slim of ever meeting up with him. His letter was the first I received from him since Jan. My brother Bill is still in the States & I hope he can stay there.
Well ever thing seems to be coming along OK with this war over here & it may not be very long & it will be over. I sure hope the south Pacific war will be over this year so we can all go back and live the life we want.
Well I must close for now. I will try & write more next time. Best of Luck to you all.
A friend
Clarence

[Paul's Comments: Much more optimistic in this letter. Then again, it's two days before VE Day]
December 4th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA (AW) Bn
APO 230 c/o Postmaster
New York,NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service May18, 1945
Passed by US Examiner 31657 (signed by Lt J C McKinney)
Germany
May 14, 1945
Dear Friends
I received your welcome letter & was glad to hear from you again.
Well your letter was written April 20th & since then the war was put to the end which a lot of us was sure happy about but to us was just another day in the Army but it was a happy one. I suppose a lot of people were celebrating our victory but they shouldn’t forget about the one in Japan that is the one we are really waiting for the end then every one can celebrate for years to come.
Well I suppose your grain & corn is growing well by this time that is if the weather was right.
Over here the winter grains is headed out & also some of the early barley.
I think it is to cold for corn over here because there isn’t a farmer planting any.
I received a letter from my Sister Jeanette & she said every thing is OK at home that is the kind I like to hear about. I mean the news.
My brother Jim, the one that is over here is OK. I heard from him just the other day.
Bill the one that is still in the states has been home on furlough again he sure is lucky.
Maybe he will never get over seas. Sure hope he doesn’t have to. War changed a lot of us.
Well I hope this letter finds you all in good health.
Must close for now. Best of Luck to you all.
As ever a Friend
Clarence

[Paul's comments: the war in Europe is over, but he is concerned about Japan; I think he is concerned that he is going to be sent there; I don't know if Bill ever got sent overseas]
December 4th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Wouldn't it be easier to photocopy or photograph them so that you can have a digital copy?
I will do that, too, but if I type them up, I can post them here