Cpl. Clarence Miller
Btry C 535th AAA wpns Bn
APO 230 of Postmaster
New York, NY
Inspected by: US Inspector 31657
Alo(?) Hennesey(? Same as above)
France July 30, 1944

Dear Friends
I received your letter and was glad to hear from you again. I am sorry for not answering sooner but will try & do better next time. I don’t care much about writing V mail but it is all I have. I ran out of airmail envelopes.
Well I am glad to hear that you are all ok. I suppose you are busy with the harvest by now. The Grain over here is about ripe there is mostly wheat raised here very little oats. The land over here I think would raise some good crops if these French would work it right. You were saying about Hybrid corn well I had a chance to have a try at it before I got in the Army when my boss planted it, but we are in a cooler climate there in Wis so we didn’t have ripe corn that year but we did have a lot of stalks for the silo. You were asking about Marie well I got a letter from her tonight & she is OK. She is going to quit her job in the foundry in Milwaukee & going back with her folks in Neillsville. They plan on moving the first of Sept. Well I haven’t much more to write so I guess I will close. Hopeing you the best of luck.
A Friend
Clarence M.

[Paul's comments: OK, this explains the switch to V mail. Love it! Most interesting comment in this letter to me is about Marie working in the foundry. She is Rosie the Riveter in person! Very little info about him, except that he is experiencing the French countryside and farms]
November 29th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Good stuff, sounds like we might be close to solving this mystery.

Which is a pity as I enjoy this sort of thing.
"The suspense is killing me! I hope it lasts." - Willie Wonka

I don't think we are anywhere close to solving anything. We've actually solved a ton of it, and even now with what I have, I could fill in things extensively. The biggest missing piece as of before was kids, but I've found a few.

However, while his daughter will solve some of the mystery, it will likely create a lot more questions, and we can keep going.

And even without, we can start thinking about other aspects of the story. I love this new aspect of Marie working at the foundry. We know now that they didn't end up together, but I wonder if there is anything that can be learned about her?

See? More mysteries!
November 29th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Well, well, well...

Quote:
Gall, Marie (Marriage - 16 June 1945)
Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Gall of 21st street, Neillsville, announce the marriage of their daughter, Marie, to Joseph N. Vetrano, son of Mr. and Mrs. Mike Vetrano of Cudahy, on June 16, in Saint Frederick’s church, Cudahy.
OK, so in his July 30, 1944, he is still getting letters from Marie, but by she is married already on June 16, 1945.

Let's see how this plays out.
--
November 29th, 2014  
crazytanker

You mean 1944 the second time? Or is 1945 correct?
November 29th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytanker
You mean 1944 the second time? Or is 1945 correct?
No, it's 45.

In the fall of 44, she is moving from Milwaukee back to Neillsville.

Now, even though he doesn't comment on the status of the relationship at that point, she is still writing to him.

However, 9 months after moving back to Neillsville, she is marrying someone else.

He does talk more about his relationship with Marie and breaking up with her in the future letters, but as of right now, we haven't heard anything like that. Grandma is still asking about her. So things are going to happen very fast.
November 29th, 2014  
MontyB

One odd thing so far is that I have not found his obituary all of the rest of the family have them yet I can find no trace of his post military life other than the marriage of his children.

I get the impression that he lived a pretty quiet life.

I have also noticed that there are at least a couple of "Donald Millers" all around the same age but from different families in the area.
December 1st, 2014  
pgwenthold

Update: I've received a response from his daughter. At the moment, I am just bringing her up to speed on what I know and asked a couple of questions.

Apparently there are something like 8 children, and Anita is 97 years old.
December 2nd, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwenthold
Update: I've received a response from his daughter. At the moment, I am just bringing her up to speed on what I know and asked a couple of questions.

Apparently there are something like 8 children, and Anita is 97 years old.
Well hopefully this will fill in the blanks for you.
December 2nd, 2014  
pgwenthold

Back to letters; now that I have contacted the family, I want to get them typed up ASAP so we can give them the letters

War & Navy
Departments
V-Mail Service
Postmark: US Postal Service Aug 19, 1944
Cpl. Clarence F, Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns Bn
APO 230 of Postmaster
New York, NY
Censors Stamp
Passed By US Examiner 31657
Lt Harmway(? Same as above)
France Aug 8, 1944
Dear Friends
I received your welcome letter & was glad to hear from you.
Well I suppose you are busy with the grain Harvest & it won’t be long & you will be picking corn again. Time sure goes fast don’t it? How does the grain run this year? There is very little grain over her no corn at all. I know it is too cold for corn. There pasture is good but I don’t know what they will feed their stock this winter. The farmers are just starting to make hay over here behind the lines. I can’t blame them for not starting when the bullets were flying around.
Are you having storms up there?
You asked if I were ever around Madison & Columbus, Wis. Yes, I have been there often while I was trucking to Milwaukee & Chicago.
Well I can’t tell much of what is going on around here so I will have to close for now. Hopeing you all the best of Luck.
As ever Friend
Clarence

[Paul's comment: we are the beginning of a stretch of content free letters; some hints to things (there is action going on) but mostly comments about growing crops because of censors]
December 2nd, 2014  
pgwenthold

(no envelope)
Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA (AW) Bn
APO 230 of Postmaster
New York, NY
Passed by US Examiner ???
Lt J Mulbush (?; different from above)
France
Aug 15, 1944
Dear Friends
Well it is getting time to answer your letter don’t you think? I am sorry I didn’t answer sooner.
I suppose you are busy with your harvest of corn it won’t be very long & it will be time for it. You should see the way the French people harvest their grain. They still cut it all by hand & tie it in bundles. They sure have a lot of work without a binder. People in the states could do 5 or 6 times as much work in a day with their new Binders and Combinds. It sure is funny the people still stuck to there old ways of work and living. They sure would be surprised if they would see what in the US in line of farm tools.
The land seems good & rich, I haven’t seen any corn over here yet. I think the climate is to cold for it. Well I guess I will have to close for now. Hopeing you all the best of Luck.
A Friend
Clarence Miller