Letters from Clarence F. Miller: Btry C 535th AAA Bn 1943 - 1945

I have a couple of envelopes from May 1944 without letters in them. I am going to dig through the box to see if I can find them. Might take me a while.

[Paul's Comments: This letter shows that he has definitely been promoted to corporal. This letter is great because he refers to his Grandpa Kessler's funeral. Here is the obituary for Carl L. Kessler

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/wi/county/clark/1data/24/24358.htm

It lists the out of town guests, including Mr. and Mrs. Barney Clave (Kleve, the "Mrs. Cleve" in this letter) and their daughter Eleanor. Eleanor would be a sister to my grandma, so according to the obituary, Grandma did not attend the funeral. However, my Dad remembers Grandma going to Neilsville when he was little - he would have been 4 at the time - and he thought it was for a funeral. Clarence says he stayed in Iowa 4-5 years ago, so around 1940. I don't know who Len is right now. According to his grandmother's obituary

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/wi/county/clark/1data/37/37032.htm

Paul Elpert is his cousin; I'm pretty sure his father is Ben Elpert, who's wife Tracey was Clarence's aunt. Ben Elpert was living in Festina, IA at the time.

Note that this is the first letter going through an inspector, #31567. The signature looks to say Lt. McHughes, but I can't be sure. Notice also that he doesn't indicate from where he is writing. He is generally very good about that. ]

Have you tried drawing a "connection" chart, it would probably make things a lot clearer as to who he was and related to.

Have you tried drawing a "connection" chart, it would probably make things a lot clearer as to who he was and related to.

I have a partial family tree, but not complete. Basically, I am building it up as needed, but I have a pretty good idea in my head.

I have his grandparents, their children but not as much their grandchildren. That requires more digging than needed.

And I still haven't been able get any info for his direct descendants. I've contacted many people who might know and be interested, but have never gotten a response.

One thing about the Elperts is that my dad might know them, because he grew up in that same area.

Any geneology groups in the region or even veterans organisations?

Seems you can put together a good break down of who he was so someone there may be able to help.

Mormon Church has a lot of geneology on record. Did you check to see if his service records survived the fire?

In looking for the May 1944 letters, I found this one from February from 1943, the second one I have

PFC Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th Sep Bn Ca (aw)
US Army
Camp Haan California
Postmark: Barstow Calif, Feb 18, 1943
Feb 16, 1943
Camp Haan
Dear Friends
I received your letter & was glad to get it. You don’t know how a fellow likes to get letters in the Army to get his mind off the war for a while. I sure enjoy them & I want to thank you for the gift you sent along. You asked me about what the USO does for us. Well they do a lot for us but I think like everything else it is all paid for some way or another. But they give shows & dances & entertainment for us. They are all right but some body will have to pay for it some time. We have some tables & chairs & radio & books from them but one has to get lucky to get time to sit in one of those soft chairs because there is so many of us. But they are all right. We sure have swell weather out her. We are on the Desert again for 5 weeks & I sure wish it were over. It is a hard place to be in. I do hope you never have any children in the service. Well it is getting dark & no light in the tents so I will have to close for now. Well I hope you all the best of luck
As a friend
Clarence
Miller

Any geneology groups in the region or even veterans organisations?

Seems you can put together a good break down of who he was so someone there may be able to help.

I've contacted the historical society of Clark County WI, which is where he is from. If they can't help me, no one can.

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns Bn
APO 230 of Postmaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service 305 May 9 1944
Passed by US Examiner: 31657 (signed by Lt McHughes)
May 7, 1944
Dear Friends
I received your letter over a week ago so I was going to write you tonight.
Well how are you & the rest there at your place? Fine I hope. Well I suppose you are all busy with springs work. Have you got your oats in yet or did you have a late spring? I suppose by the time this letter gets to you you wil have your corn planted. It seems like it will never be warm enough to plant corn over here. The nights are always cold. The grain looks good & so does the peas. It been warm some days then it would turn cold with a wind.
How are your little pigs ground? Has the fellow you were telling me about still got all those little pigs? That must be the world record isn’t it? I haven’t heard of any better.
Well I hear that I am an Uncle again, Jeanette had her baby about two weeks ago, a little girl she named Linda Lee. Some name don’t you think? It makes me feel old or it will when they call me Uncle. But I like kids so I will enjoy playing with them when I do get back.
Well there isn’t much to write about so must close. I hope you all the best of luck & health.
A friend
Clarence M.

[Paul's Comment: Were back to 1944]

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA WpNs Bn
APO 230 of Postmaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service May 15, 1944
May 14, 1944
England
Dear Friends
I received your letter & was glad to hear from you again.
Well I hope it isn’t raining so you get can get your seeding finished & can start at the corn ground. I know before I came in the army I use to like to get the grain in early. One year I finished seeding & the next day I planted corn. Lots of people taught I was foolish for planting so early, but the boss I was working for told me he didn’t care when I planted it so I picked my own time. The corn came up good & was about 3 inches high before the neighbors got up. It was just luck for me that there wasn’t any frost. But I got ripe corn on that piece & not many farmers corn got ripe that fall. You see Wisconsin don’t have ripe corn every year like Iowa, but it was just luck for me.
Well you folks should have a lot of help now that the boys are out of school. It make take time for them to learn but they will learn just by watching some one else do the farming.
I been saving money so I will have something to help me along when I get out of the service. I want to go back on a farm after this is over, so I will have to save my pennys won’t I? It is going to be lots of farms empty before long. How is prices on milk & eggs?
You asked if Bill was still in the States. Yes he is, but he moved from Wis to Mich but isn’t so far away from home, so he is lucky.
You asked if I can understand the British. Yes they talk like we do only four or five words are used different.
Well I have some washing on the stove so I will have to take care of it now. I will have to close for now. Hopeing you all the best of luck.
As a friend
Clarence
M

[Paul's Comment: OK, this is the last letter before DDay. It is relatively long, still talking about farming. ]

I've contacted the historical society of Clark County WI, which is where he is from. If they can't help me, no one can.

Well I have had a look around and found assuming his parents were Frank Miller and Louise Kessler):
Clarence Miller:
Born 5-Dec-1916 (Which would make him 26 in 1942)
Died 3-Jun-1986
Military Service: Tech 5, US Army WW2 (which I think is similar to a Corporal)
Married: 19-Jun-1948 to an Anita A Miller.

It would also appear that as of October 2013 his wife Anita was still alive and as of 2008 was living in Neillsville.

Her details are as follows:
Anita A Miller 505 W 6th St
Neillsville, WI 54456
(715) 743-2407

By all accounts he had 4 brothers, Donald, Bill, Mick, James Miller and two sisters Jeanette and Angeline who are all now deceased, he has a surviving sister in law (Wife of Donald Miller) called Caroline (Nee Moser) living in Evansville.

hope this is of some use to you.

Last edited:
Mormon Church has a lot of geneology on record. Did you check to see if his service records survived the fire?

Church of the Latter Day Saints were so helpful on a personal genealogical project I was doing... Success in some areas. Good luck!

Dadsgirl

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA WpNs Bn
APO 230 of Postmaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service May 15, 1944
May 14, 1944
England
Dear Friends
I received your letter & was glad to hear from you again.
Well I hope it isn’t raining so you get can get your seeding finished & can start at the corn ground. I know before I came in the army I use to like to get the grain in early. One year I finished seeding & the next day I planted corn. Lots of people taught I was foolish for planting so early, but the boss I was working for told me he didn’t care when I planted it so I picked my own time. The corn came up good & was about 3 inches high before the neighbors got up. It was just luck for me that there wasn’t any frost. But I got ripe corn on that piece & not many farmers corn got ripe that fall. You see Wisconsin don’t have ripe corn every year like Iowa, but it was just luck for me.
Well you folks should have a lot of help now that the boys are out of school. It make take time for them to learn but they will learn just by watching some one else do the farming.
I been saving money so I will have something to help me along when I get out of the service. I want to go back on a farm after this is over, so I will have to save my pennys won’t I? It is going to be lots of farms empty before long. How is prices on milk & eggs?
You asked if Bill was still in the States. Yes he is, but he moved from Wis to Mich but isn’t so far away from home, so he is lucky.
You asked if I can understand the British. Yes they talk like we do only four or five words are used different.
Well I have some washing on the stove so I will have to take care of it now. I will have to close for now. Hopeing you all the best of luck.
As a friend
Clarence
M

[Paul's Comment: OK, this is the last letter before DDay. It is relatively long, still talking about farming. ]

I am guess that that the "Bill" mentioned in that post is his brother.

Given the proximity to D-Day of that letter I am also a little surprised there is no mention of the training as he has mentioned it in almost every other letter to date.

I am guess that that the "Bill" mentioned in that post is his brother.

Yes. Recall the letter from his mother (on page 2) in Dec 43 where she mentions that Bill is in the service but in Madison. So in this letter we learn that Bill has been moved from Madison to Michigan.

Given the proximity to D-Day of that letter I am also a little surprised there is no mention of the training as he has mentioned it in almost every other letter to date.

You are? Actually, I was thinking the other direction. Given the proximity to D-Day, I am not at all surprised he is not talking at all about anything of any substance at all.

Keep in mind, too, that he's going through censors at this point, so has to be very careful about what he says. He's talking about farming and language, and maybe doing laundry. No more talking about training in preparation for the invasion.

Another update: I noted his comment about staying with his cousin Paul Elpert in Festina, IA. I talked to my Dad, and he does remember Paul's father, Ben Elpert, who used to live right by the school in Festina, and worked as the school janitor. My dad didn't know that Ben's wife Tracey was actually his cousin (his mother's first cousin).

With the information about Anita above, I found another family member (Clarence's brother Don's daughter Sue) and sent her a message, but who knows if she'll respond. I might just call Anita if I get my nerve up.

Does anyone want to look to see what they can find out about Lt McHughes, who was US Examiner 31657?

Might as well see what we can find.

With the information about Anita above, I found another family member (Clarence's brother Don's daughter Sue) and sent her a message, but who knows if she'll respond. I might just call Anita if I get my nerve up.

I would suggest a little caution approaching his wife straight off as it may be a bit of a shock, I would be inclined to approach the situation through a family member as she must be close to if not in her 90s but if you could get in touch through a family member it may give her thinking space.

Does anyone want to look to see what they can find out about Lt McHughes, who was US Examiner 31657?

Might as well see what we can find.

I think this may be a tougher nut to crack as there is very little to go on other than an "unusual" surname.

I would suggest a little caution approaching his wife straight off as it may be a bit of a shock, I would be inclined to approach the situation through a family member as she must be close to if not in her 90s but if you could get in touch through a family member it may give her thinking space.

I've been trying...

I wish I could find any kids' names if there were some

I think this may be a tougher nut to crack as there is very little to go on other than an "unusual" surname.
And his examiner number ... :?

Last edited:
Well I have had a look around and found assuming his parents were Frank Miller and Louise Kessler):
Clarence Miller:
Born 5-Dec-1916 (Which would make him 26 in 1942)
Died 3-Jun-1986
Military Service: Tech 5, US Army WW2 (which I think is similar to a Corporal)
Married: 19-Jun-1948 to an Anita A Miller.

It would also appear that as of October 2013 his wife Anita was still alive and as of 2008 was living in Neillsville.

Her details are as follows:
Anita A Miller 505 W 6th St
Neillsville, WI 54456
(715) 743-2407

By all accounts he had 4 brothers, Donald, Bill, Mick, James Miller and two sisters Jeanette and Angeline who are all now deceased, he has a surviving sister in law (Wife of Donald Miller) called Caroline (Nee Moser) living in Evansville.

hope this is of some use to you.

I have found I think 3 daughters, although I am a little confused. The oldest daughter Betty Jane got married in 65, and graduated high school in 1961. Must have been Anita's daughter by a previous marriage is all I can figure. She married a Loos

A younger daughter is Mardell Rothamer, who graduated high school in 64 and got married in 67. Must have also been a daughter from a previous marriage.

A third daughter is Janice Greene. She graduated high school in 1975 and so is a daughter of Clarence and Anita. Her daughter is on Facebook. I haven't found anything else about her yet.

I have now found an email address for his daughter, I think. Email sent!

If this is her (I'm pretty sure it is) and she cooperates, we will have an amazing resource!

Good stuff, sounds like we might be close to solving this mystery.

Which is a pity as I enjoy this sort of thing.

[the following set of letters were sent via “V-mail”, almost like small photos. Written on a standard template]

(no envelope for this one)
From
Cpl Clarence Miller
Btry C 535th Wpns Bn
APO 230 Postmaster
New York, NY
Passed By: US Inspector 31657
(signed A. ? Harvey?; looks different from before)

France
June 26, 1944
Dear Friends
Just a few lines to let you know that I received your letter & was glad to hear from you & that everything is OK with you all. I am over in France now, I may have told you in my last letter but I don’t remember if I did or didn’t. Anyway I am OK & we get plenty to eat now that our supplies are coming in good & and we doing good.
Well how is everything around Iowa? I suppose everyone is busy plowing corn & getting ready to put up hay. Farming is the same year after year but I sure wish I was back on the farm.
There sure is a lot of cloudy weather over here but we didn’t have much rain yet since we have been over here. I hope it don’t start in now. It isn’t very nice living in a fox hole when there is water in it or trenches either.
Do you ever hear from John or Frank Kessler. I haven’t heard much about them for a long time but I guess they are still farming on the old place.
How is Eleanor and her family? If you see her tell her I said for you to say Hello from me.
Well must close hopeing you the best of luck.
As ever a friend
Clarence

[I have an envelope from July 10 with no letter in it, but don’t know if this is for the letter above or another; it probably is the letter above]

[Paul's comments: he's somewhere in France, living in a fox hole. I don't know if you feel the same, but I can hear a lot more trepidation in this letter. Asking for news about the Kesslers (his uncles, I think), and send a message to Eleanor. He's trying to connect to home as much as he can. Just hard to imagine what he's experiencing]

Back