Letters from Clarence F. Miller: Btry C 535th AAA Bn 1943 - 1945 - Page 2

--

November 18th, 2014  
crazytanker

Keep up the good work. Well worth the read.
November 19th, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytanker
Keep up the good work. Well worth the read.
I agree and the fact that he writes as he speaks makes them interesting reads.
November 19th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I agree and the fact that he writes as he speaks makes them interesting reads.
My Dad's letters are very similar in that respect. There are a few words you can see where spelling is an issue and I've not corrected for it, to give you a sense of what's there.

Check this link that someone else sent me:
http://www.wiclarkcountyhistory.org/4data/83/83841.htm

From the 1940 Census, it lists Clarence as a hired hand for George Foelsch, who was the president of the Dairy Belt Cheese Co. Inc.

Quote:
1940 Federal Census, Beaver Town, Clark, Wisconsin, United States, District: 10-2, Family 140, Line 4

Margaret Foelsch, white married female
Last Place of Residence: Same House

Household Members
Head George Foelsch M 36 (1904) Germany
Wife Margaret Foelsch F 31 Wisconsin
Son George Foelsch M 8 (1932) Wisconsin
Hired hand Edward Miller M 27 Wisconsin
Hired hand Clarence Miller M 25 Wisconsin
If you go back to page 1 and read his letter to Uncle Ray, he says that he has been hauling milk, and refers to the boss who promised him his job back. It seems that that would be George Foelsch.

It's been cool how I've gone from knowing almost nothing to knowing a whole bunch in a short time. Hopefully, some will be able to provide more thoughts on his military career when we get there and get out of Camp Haan.

The next letter is while on maneuvers in Tennessee, I think, so we'll see what he has to say about that.
--
November 20th, 2014  
pgwenthold

PFC Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns. Bn. Mbl.
APO 402
Post M???
Nashville, Tennessee
July 24, 1943
Tennessee
Maneuvers
(Stationery)
Nashville Army Air Center
(A. A. F. C. C.)
Thompson Lane, Nashville, Tenn.
Dear Friends
Well I have a few minutes to write a letter. I am sorry I kept you waiting for this letter. I am now in Tennessee on maneuvers from Camp Haan California. We went to Camp Atterbury Indiana. From there we came down here in Tennessee on maneuvers for 2 months so I suppose it will last until about till the first of Sept. It sure is a rough and tought life . Some of the Boys are sick & in the hospital from the water & Heat. It is Really hot down here. While I was in Indiana I got a 3 day leave & I went home. I stoped in Milwaukee and got my Girl friend & we surprised the folks at hom. We didnít let them know we were coming. We enjoyed our selfs while we were there sure was good to see Home again. It may be a long time. Well I suppose you are all busy with the hay and the rest of the crops. My folks havenít started with the hay yet when I was home but I got a letter from Mother & she said that they have started now. Dad has just the two youngest boys left at home. I hear that Bill and Jim are in the Army now. I feel sorry for them. They sure have to put up with a lot of hard days ahead, but I donít think they will have to go across. I may go but they wonít unless the war last longer than I think. That makes 3 of us in service. I know Mother worries a lot but it canít be helped.
Well I donít know any more news so I must close & wishing the best of luck to you all.
As a friend
Clarence
Miller
November 20th, 2014  
pgwenthold

[this is a letter that from Clarenceís mother Louise to my Grandma that was tucked in with one of the other letters from Clarence]
Neillsville Wis
Dec 20, 1943
Dear Maggie
Resd your most welcome letter. Please excuse me for not writing sooner we are all ok as yet and hope you are all the same. We are still having nice weather. How many boys have you in the Army? We have two boys in. Clarence is in North Carolina and Bill in Madison, Wisconsin and James is going in March some time he is 18 years old. Bill was home too day for one our and sure was glad to get home and he sure is looking good. He is trying to be home for Christmas. Jeanette is married and is Lornita California but she may come back to Wisconsin in January. Her husband is going across. Our oldest girl and Family is living in Neillsville they have 4 children. Our family is getting quite smaller. We have one boy that James hauling milk near Christe Wis and Francis and Donald going to St Maryís school Neillsville. Carl Clara and family is getting along quite well and so is John and Frank Kessler. Clarence is having a girl friend in Milwaukee she sure is a nice kid. Her name is Marie Gall. Well it is getting late so must close for to night. I am sending Clarence address and wishing you all a Merry Christmas
Happy New Year
Best gards to all down there answer soon
November 20th, 2014  
MontyB

I am somewhat amazed that such mundane aspects of like such as cropping and hay making are such interesting reads.

It is interesting to see how aware of events he is with limited information compared to today's generation that has the world at their fingertips and couldn't tell you who their neighbours are.
November 25th, 2014  
pgwenthold

??? Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns Bn.
Camp Davis
North Carolina
Postmark: Camp Davis Jan 17, 1944
Jan 15, 1944
Camp Davis
North Carolina
Dear Friends
I received your welcome letter yesterday so I will answer now. It has been a long time since I heard from you & I taught you were to busy to write, because I know what the farm is like.
Yes, I have moved a quiet a few more miles but the Army is full of moves & travel.
You asked what I was doing in Carolina. Well I am doing the same as I alway was driving jeep and trucks. I sure get my share of driving on Tennessee maneuvers I drove 10000 miless.
You asked about the winter. Well we had a little snow & some cold weather, but the cold is gone & so is the snow, but we sure get a lot of rain.
I am glad to hear that your crops all turned out good. Farming is interesting when crops are good & lots of feed.
I been lucky not to have the flew this year but there were a lot of fellows that the start of it.
Well I had a furlough in Oct. Gee it was sure swell to get home & go out with friends and drink a few beers with them. The time sure does go fast when on a furlough but I had a week at home & four days with my girlfriend folks. Marie’s boss gave her as many days off as I had so she went with me to my folks for a week. We sure had a good time. I guess we were invited out for dinners & suppers every day while I was home.
You asked how Marie was well she had the flue for awhile but she is over it now & is back to work again.
Well I haven’t any more news so I will close. Hopeing you all the best of luck.
As a friend
Clarence

[Paul's Comments: As his mother indicated in her letter, he is now in North Carolina; the envelope is torn in the corner so I can't see his rank on this one.
November 25th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns Bn
Apo 9569
Of Postmaster
New York, New York
Postmark: US Postal Service No. 1, Feb 9, 1944
Passed by US Army Examiner 31657

Feb 8, 1944
Dear Friends
I received your letter so I will answer it tonight. I can’t write much because I haven’t the time.
Well I see by your letter you have had a nice winter so far. I hope it keeps up don’t you? It must seem good to be able to get around & not shovel snow.
How is everyone around there? I hope you are all well. How is your mother Mrs. Cleve? I remember having supper there one night. Len & I and Eleanor she was working in Calmar Iowa then. I don’t know just how long ago it been but it 4 or 5 years. It was in the winter when I was there & it sure was cold & about 2 yrs after I & and a pal of mine were in Iowa for a visit. I stayed with Paul Elpert & his Dad a few days. I like the State of Iowa but Wisconsin better. Say were you up in Wisconsin when Grandpa Kessler was buried? I may have seen you there & don’t remember of seeing you. Well we may meet some day & get to know one another.
Well I must close for this time the best of luck to you all & tell Eleanor and her mother hello from me.
A friend
Clarence
PS My New address is on the envelope

[Paul's Comments: This letter shows that he has definitely been promoted to corporal. This letter is great because he refers to his Grandpa Kessler's funeral. Here is the obituary for Carl L. Kessler

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/wi/count...a/24/24358.htm

It lists the out of town guests, including Mr. and Mrs. Barney Clave (Kleve, the "Mrs. Cleve" in this letter) and their daughter Eleanor. Eleanor would be a sister to my grandma, so according to the obituary, Grandma did not attend the funeral. However, my Dad remembers Grandma going to Neilsville when he was little - he would have been 4 at the time - and he thought it was for a funeral. Clarence says he stayed in Iowa 4-5 years ago, so around 1940. I don't know who Len is right now. According to his grandmother's obituary

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/wi/count...a/37/37032.htm

Paul Elpert is his cousin; I'm pretty sure his father is Ben Elpert, who's wife Tracey was Clarence's aunt. Ben Elpert was living in Festina, IA at the time.

Note that this is the first letter going through an inspector, #31567. The signature looks to say Lt. McHughes, but I can't be sure. Notice also that he doesn't indicate from where he is writing. He is generally very good about that. ]
November 25th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns Bn
APO 230
Of Postmaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service Mar 6, 1944
Passed by US Army Examiner: 31657 (handwritten Lt McHughes, maybe?)
Mar 5, 1944
England
Dear Friends
I received your letter the 1st of March, so you know it takes a long time before I get my mail. It sure seems to take a long time befor the mail gets her. I sure miss it a lot when it takes so long to get here.
I am now in England & it sure is cold her we canít get much wood or coal to warm up by. Most of the men have a bad cold now any way I have but I am trying to doctor it up. We may get used to the climate if we stay long enough. I sure hope we can get this thing over with soon so we all can go back to home. It sure will be one happy day for all of us. The way things are the young fellows havenít a thing to look forward to any way till it is over.
Well we landed without any trouble it was a long & tiresome ride & we sure were all glad when we got here. Well I havenít any more time so I will close hoping you all the best of luck.
A Friend
Clarence M.

[Paul's Comment: Now he's in England. We know now what he's doing there, but note that at the time, no one did.]
November 25th, 2014  
pgwenthold

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA (AW) Bn
APO 230
Of Postermaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service AP 305 Apr 4, 1944
Passed by US Army Examiner: 31657 (handwritten Lt McHughes, maybe?)
Apr 2,1944
England
Dear Friends
I received your letter& Easter card & was glad to get them. A week from today is Easter Sunday. I sure wish I was home to enjoy it but maybe next year I will anyway I hope so.
Well I suppose you are looking forward to springs work that is one thing a farmer always has is a lot of work. I would enjoy that work if I were out of the Army. I always liked farming. I like most any kind of work but not in the Army.
Well I just got through washing clothes & sewing, the only time I get caught up is on Sunday & then some times we work Sundays. I should be a housekeeper when I get out of here.
The fellows may go at washing the hard way but they get clean.
Well how are all of you there at your home?
I hope you are all well & able to get around.
I am feeling better, I got my cold about checked it is hard to get rid of colds here because the climate is damp and cold.
I told my folks to send me some Vicks that is about the only thing that breaks up a cold for me.
Well I must close for now it is getting late. I hope you all the best of luck & and enjoyable Easter.
A friend
Clarence