A letter from a retired Border Patrol Agent

DTop

Someone sent me this and I thought I'd see what we all think about it. So what do you say? Is this guy speaking the truth?
Before anyone feels the need, I just checked Snopes.com and they report this letter as a true. Snopes

This letter was sent to Tennessee Senator Bill Frist from a retired border patrol agent, and it has more common sense than all the bull being spewed from the Senate, with the exception of a few sensible representatives.

Dear Senator Frist:

There is a huge amount of propaganda and myths circulating about illegal aliens, particularly illegal Mexican, Salvadorian, Guatemalan and Honduran aliens.

#1. Illegal aliens generally do NOT want U.S. citizenship. Americans are very vain thinking that everybody in the world wants to be a U.S. citizen.
Mexicans, and other nationalities want to remain citizens of their home countries while obtaining the benefits offered by the United States such as employment, medical care, in-state tuition, government subsidized housing and free education for their offspring. Their main attraction is employment and their loyalty usually remains at home. They want benefits earned and subsidized by middle class Americans. What illegal aliens want are benefits of American residence WITHOUT paying the price.

#2. There are no jobs that Americans won't do. Illegal aliens are doing jobs that Americans can't take and still support their families. Illegal aliens take low wage jobs, live dozens in a single residence home, share expenses and send money to their home country. There are no jobs that Americans won't do for a decent wage.

#3. Every person who illegally entered this nation left a home. They are NOT homeless and they are NOT Americans. Some left jobs in their home countries.
They come to send money to their real home as evidenced by the more than 20 billion dollars sent out of the country each year by illegal aliens. These illegal aliens knowingly and willfully entered this nation in violation of the law and therefore assumed the risk of detection and deportation. Those who brought their alien children assumed the responsibility and risk on behalf of their children.

#4. Illegal aliens are NOT critical to the economy. Illegal aliens
constitute less than 5% of the workforce. However, they reduce wages and benefits for lawful U.S. residents.

#5. This is NOT an immigrant nation. There are 280 million native born Americans.. While it is true that this nation was settled and founded by immigrants (legal immigrants), it is also true that there is not a nation on this planet that was not settled by immigrants at one time or another.

#6. The United States is welcoming to legal immigrants. Illegal aliens are not immigrants by definition. The U.S. accepts more lawful immigrants every year than the rest of the world combined.

#7 There is no such thing as the "Hispanic vote". Hispanics are white, brown, black and every shade in between. Hispanics are Republicans, Democrats, Anarchists, Communists, Marxists and Independents. The so-called "Hispanic vote" is a myth. Pandering to illegal aliens to get the Hispanic vote is a dead end.

#8. Mexico is NOT a friend of the United States. Since 1848 Mexicans have resented the United States. During World War I, Mexico allowed German Spies to operate freely in Mexico to spy on the U.S. During World War II, Mexico allowed the Axis powers to spy on the U.S. from Mexico. During the Cold War Mexico allowed spies hostile to the U.S. to operate freely. The attack on the Twin Towers in 2001 was cheered and applauded all across Mexico. Today Mexican school children are taught that the U.S. stole California, Arizona, new Mexico and Texas. If you don't believe it, check out some Mexican textbooks written for their schoolchildren.

#9. Although some illegal aliens enter this country for a better life, there are 6 billion people on this planet. At least 1 billion of those live on less than one dollar a day. If wanting a better life is a valid excuse to break the law and sneak into America, then let's allow those one billion to come to America and we'll turn the USA into a Third World nation overnight. Besides, there are 280 million native born Americans who want a better life. I'll bet Bill Gates and Donald Trump want a better life. When will the USA lifeboat be full? Since when is wanting a better life a good reason to trash another nation?

#10. There is a labor shortage in this country. This is a lie. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of American housewives, senior citizens, students, unemployed and underemployed who would gladly take jobs at a decent wage.

#11. It is racist to want secure borders. What is racist about wanting secure borders and a secure America? What is racist about not wanting people to sneak into America and steal benefits we have set aside for legal aliens, senior citizens, children and other legal residents? What is it about race that entitles people to violate our laws, steal identities, and take the American Dream without paying the price?

For about four decades American politicians have refused to secure our borders and look after the welfare of middle class Americans. These politicians have been of both parties. A huge debt to American society has resulted. This debt will be satisfied and the interest will be high. There has already been riots in the streets by illegal aliens and their supporters. There will be more.

You, as a politician, have a choice to offend the illegal aliens who have stolen into this country and demanded the rights afforded to U.S. citizens or to offend those of us who are stakeholders in this country. The interest will be steep either way. There will be civil unrest. There will be a reckoning. Do you have the courage to do what is right for America? Or, will you bow to the wants and needs of those who don't even have the right to remain here? There will be a reckoning.come in November of this year, again in 2008 and yet again in 2010. We will not allow America to be stolen by third world agitators and thieves.

David J. Stoddard U.S. Border Patrol (RET) Hereford, Arizona

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with all points he made, especially #2 and #8. I see nothing but common sense and wisdom in this letter... something as you pointed out Top that is in short supply in our political gene pool of all persuasions- demo, repub and everything around the fringe.

I agree with the writer on most, of not all, points, but..... He has solid arguments but misses out on one thing.

There are no jobs that Americans won't do for a decent wage.
This applies probably for all people on earth. The trouble is, however, that the wages for these kind of jobs will not be raised! Cleaners, bus-boys etc, no politician will cross daggers with the employer branch to get higher wages for this work. Eventhough mr. Stoddard ghas a point, chances of this will be slim and de facto maintain the current situation. And the employer will keep on hiring illegals to do it cheaply. Why pay more for workers who'll speak up when they don't like things?

Ted if they stem the flow of illegals the wages will rise. The jobs need to be done but people won't do them until the price is right. So according to the laws of supply and demand the wages will increase until it is suitable for the workers needs.

First let me compliment you on the speed of the responce, very impressive.
SOmehow I have a hard time to believe that old macro economic principals will apply to this problem. As with most things when they become scarce is;
a) they become more expensive
b) dependent parties will try to obtain this via "other" ways.

I'll grant you, it will work but then you'll have to change a lot. The penalty for letting illegals work for you should become more severe and the laws should be plain, simple and easy to enforce.

Don't get me wrong though, I am with you on this one. But I think that the flow of illegals is also due to a large group of small entrepreneurs in the US as well. As long as these are not taken care off, this stream won't dry up!

I'll just comment on the parts I disagree or wifh to comment further on:

#2. 'Jobs American dont want' = (Employers saying) why pay minimum wage when we can get a immigrant to do it for $1.25 an hour. Michael Moore in 'The Big One' caught CEO Philip Knight on this lie. Knight tried to justify the closing of the last Nike sneaker factory in the USA (moved to Indonsia) by saying "Americans dont want to make shoes". So Mike Moore shows up with over 900 names of people from Flint Michigan, where unemployment is at 20% of people who would take a job at a shoe factory or any job for that matter. Moral of the story never trust the word of big corporate business.

#5. When he refers, to 'legal' immigration of our American ancestors. I dont think the American Indians would agree with that, we palefaces weren't exactly invited to live in America by them. Go far enough back and we are the decsendants of ILLEGAL immigrants.

#6. He's right about the Hispanic vote. Hispanics come from all over. Cubans tend to vote Repunlican, Peurto Ricians and Mexicans tend to lean Democrat. There is no universal 'hispanic vote'. I always thought the GOP was wasting time with this invisible voter block.

#8. Jeez, Water under the bridge. There are still some Germans who think Alsace-Lorraine should be German, or Spanish who think Gibralter should be Spainish. I dont believe the part about 9-11 and even if true thats a pretty large generasation, you cannot condemn a whole population for it.

#11. I always love it when caucasians say racism doesnt exsist anymore. How would they know? When was the last time they experianced it. The idiots in bedsheets are mostly gone as is public segregation but racism still lies beneath the surface. He might not be speaking for himself but racisim still exists in America. There are people in America who simply dont want Brown people living next to them legal or illegal. That doesnt mean EVERYBODY who wants border security is a racist, but some are.

mmarsh said:
#5. When he refers, to 'legal' immigration of our American ancestors. I dont think the American Indians would agree with that, we palefaces weren't exactly invited to live in America by them. Go far enough back and we are the decsendants of ILLEGAL immigrants.

Weak argument that holds no merit, no matter who uses it.

PJ24 said:
Weak argument that holds no merit, no matter who uses it.

Thats precisely my point, the entire #5 is meaningless, it has no baring whatsoever. We are all descendants of illegals, why make a stink about that now? Its a weak argument.

Back to the original post, I'll also take issue with the statement 280 Million Americans are 'native'. No they aint. There are millions of US citizens that are not native, my mother for example...

Last edited:
mmarsh said:
Thats precisely my point, the entire #5 is meaningless, it has no baring whatsoever. We are all descendants of illegals, why make a stink about that now? Its a weak argument.

Back to the original post, I'll also take issue with the statement 280 Million Americans are 'native'. No they aint. There are millions of US citizens that are not native, my mother for example...

Your argument is weak as well. I'm not a descendant of illegal immigrants. Both of my parents came to the US legally.

Millions of Americans are descendants from other legal immigrants and native born Americans as well. To say we are "all" descended from illegal immigrant is pretty ignorant.

Most Americans ARE native to this country, they were born right here on US soil. This is a weak argument used to justify illegal immigration. It's fluff and BS, just like when people say "well, we're all really immigrants if we aren't Indians (yeah, I don't use native American)." I was born in Boston, MA, if that isn't native to the United States, I don't know wtf is.

PJ

Again thats subject to interpetation. I have got this tee-shirt somebody gave me as a joke, its a picture of Gerimino and his warriors in full wargear the caption is DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY: Protecting the heartland since 1492. I am sure there are people who view you and I as squatters, and to them it doesnt really matter if your 'native' or not, since the very first white settlement was illegal anyway. Like I said all this is a very weak arguement. We should ignore who was their first, and try and fix the present day problem.

mmarsh said:
PJ

Again thats subject to interpetation. I have got this tee-shirt somebody gave me as a joke, its a picture of Gerimino and his warriors in full wargear the caption is DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY: Protecting the heartland since 1492. I am sure there are people who view you and I as squatters, and to them it doesnt really matter if your 'native' or not, since the very first white settlement was illegal anyway. Like I said all this is a very weak arguement. We should ignore who was their first, and try and fix the present day problem.

Nothing about interpretation, I was born on US soil, therefore, I am a "native American." I didn't come from somewhere else, if you were born in US soil, you didn't either.

Also, given that the United States didn't exist in 1492, again, weak argument.

Does anyone have an idea on the cost of building one big massive secure fence, with enough guards posted along its full length, 24 hours a day for everyday of the year?

What's the cost of Mexican illegal immigrants to the US economy at the moment?

Just interested in the economics of the problem.

Winston

I heard the cost of building the fence was about $700 Million, from end to end. Excluding maintenance, and support costs

PJ24 said:
Nothing about interpretation, I was born on US soil, therefore, I am a "native American." I didn't come from somewhere else, if you were born in US soil, you didn't either.

Also, given that the United States didn't exist in 1492, again, weak argument.
yeah, but the shirt's still pretty funny. I almost bought one in Alaska.

Anyway, the letter makes some very good points on the myths concerning illegal immigrants. What about the 2 million dollars worth of marijuana that was intercepted when a bunch of Mexicans tried to tunnel their way across the border? Illegal immigration is just that, illegal. What are some of these illegals doing? That's right, engaging in illegal activities like drug dealing. But what happens wheen we imprison them?

A: when legislation like this is introduced, all hell breaks loose at penetentiary facilities (Marielitos, anyone? i.e. Atlanta, Oakdale riots of 1995).

Where illegal immigration is concerned, we see (in the case of smuggling and the eventual violent and nonviolent crimes stemming from a select group of people having entered illegally forms a vicious cycle. Best way to cure it? Exactly what we're doing now- beef up border security and send illegals back to their homeland.

Last thing we need is a political overhaul because of ineffective legislation or legislation that makes the populace go insane. Unfortunately, that's what we're headed for.

Last edited:
mmarsh said:
Winston

I heard the cost of building the fence was about $700 Million, from end to end. Excluding maintenance, and support costs

how much does a tower every 500 yards with 2 snipers in each cost?:m16:

behemoth79 said:
how much does a tower every 500 yards with 2 snipers in each cost?:m16:

Depends...
About 20 years to life or the gas chamber depending on the situation.

Last edited:
Back