A letter from a retired Border Patrol Agent

Why should they have to issue a command? They know that little stream is the border and that crossing it is illegal. Its called being held responsible for the choices you make. Sometimes it truly sucks but that's what us adults do every day. No one holds my hand, coddles me and begs me not to put my hand in the fire. Don't want to get burned don't put your hand in the fire, your choice. Don't want to get shot, cross the border legally.

bulldogg said:
Why should they have to issue a command? They know that little stream is the border and that crossing it is illegal. Its called being held responsible for the choices you make. Sometimes it truly sucks but that's what us adults do every day. No one holds my hand, coddles me and begs me not to put my hand in the fire. Don't want to get burned don't put your hand in the fire, your choice. Don't want to get shot, cross the border legally.

i like you, you are cool. yay you.

I agree in principal, but dont you think shooting someone is bit extreme? This isnt the Berlin Wall after all... I think a nice tall wall would work well.

I did the math on a concrete wall a couple feet thick and 15' tall that would span the entire border. With the going price of concrete, it would be about a trillion bucks for the construction alone. Triple chain link fencing is probably a tad wiser.

I've talked quite a bit with the local LEO's. Those who run the county jail tell me all sorts of stories about repeat offenders who have either been deported and then returned to commit more crimes or criminals that INS won't try to deport. The local jails are packed with these creeps. I can't imagine how much worse it must be in border towns or a city like LA.

Borders are there to protect the interests of the citizens within. If these politicians are unwilling to protect our interests, which is why we originally put them in office, then we need to fire them and find folks who will protect our interests. Merely waving a magic wand and granting amnesty to all the criminals isn't the answer. Decriminalizing an act doesn't make it any less detrimental.

It's very difficult to patrol the US Mexican border even if you put up a wall. Consider how much man power you would need to secure that area, the israelis have this situation already and people still break through. Tackle the problem at the root, make it so that mexicans either don't want to come to america or that if they do, they'll be fully documented and held accountable like anyone else. Afterall, the great wall of china didn't stop the mongols.

WarMachine said:
It's very difficult to patrol the US Mexican border even if you put up a wall. Consider how much man power you would need to secure that area, the israelis have this situation already and people still break through. Tackle the problem at the root, make it so that mexicans either don't want to come to america or that if they do, they'll be fully documented and held accountable like anyone else. Afterall, the great wall of china didn't stop the mongols.

Movingtarget

A trillion Dollars? Thats seems awfully high. There are highways in the USA that are longer and dont cost as much. The contruction is with everything included is $700 Million (this is not the Bush plan, this is an estimate on the whole shabang, the current GOP bill is 512 Million).

Actually WarMachine the Isreali wall has been quite effective. The terrorists who snuck in did so because they had false papers and ID at the border crossings, not because they managed the breach the wall.

i still like my sniper idea. make a no-entry zone. make it clear on both sides that there will be no one allowed. if people are there, yell at them a couple times, if they dont respond, fire. if that's not a deterrent, i dont know what is

what we should do...is build a fence about 100 miles inside the Mexican border...put US flags all over the place, and trick them into thinking theyre all ready there

"It is from their foes, not their friends, that cities learn the lesson of building high walls."
- Aristophanes

Back