Letter from a Marine

istealfreefood

Hey XXXXXXX,

How is everyone doing? It's been awhile since I wrote and wanted to catch you up on the glorious nation of Iraq. The unit that is replacing us is starting to arrive and so the end is in sight. We are more than happy to see them here. We are now starting to do some turnover actions and will be doing so for the next few weeks.

It has been typical July weather for the Middle East, that is to say hot. Although hot doesn't quite describe it, it's pretty close to southern CA or Arizona so I'm sure most of you can relate. When going out on a patrol it's pretty easy to get rid of a couple pounds in sweat. Kind of makes one want to live in Alaska, but I don't think it's as bad as hot and humid, I'll take just hot any day. We've got access to pretty good food and a gym so I managed not to get rid of 20 lbs like last deployment.

The most interesting thing we've seen while we've been here has been the creation of local watch groups. They go by many names, but basically they are locals who are conducting security in their own areas. This is in addition to Iraqi army and police.

Local watch doesn't seem like a big deal? Well, in fact, it is quite possibly the turning of the tide, a monumental force multiplier. Why is it a big deal? Basically Iraqis are finally starting to stand up for themselves and make a choice. See, for the last 4 years we've been fighting not only al Qaeda foreign fighters, but also pretty much any Iraqi who was bored and needed to make a few extra bucks. A large portion of them were not "terrorists" but just local punks that thought we were the great invader here to do them harm. It has taken awhile, but for the first time, and in large numbers, Iraqis in the most violent province (Al Anbar) have been collectively making a choice to fight against al Qaeda.

You see, there are two choices for Iraqis: 1. Help the Americans - this means money, security, and assistance, or 2. Help al Qaeda - this means a life of imposed harsh religious doctrine (that very few Iraqis want), murder of Iraqi women and children as punishment, intimidation campaigns that make the Sopranos look like the Bradys, and a future bright with subjugation and oppression. Seems like a no brainer, and you have to wonder why it took most Iraqis so long to figure this one out, but they are finally seeing that al Qaeda has nothing to offer and that we have done nothing but help them. It's a bit hard to understand but try to imagine that they have been taught mistrust of outsiders for generations, indoctrinated with a steady diet of fiery anti-American rhetoric from their local sheikhs, and been held under control by a tyrannical dictator for 30 years, followed by mafia-style rule for the last 4. This seems like slow progress, yes, but it is indeed progress on a scale not seen before. This is the path toward victory and the only way we can win a counter-insurgency. These locals are amazing to watch. An area that Marines had operated in for months had been like the Wild West, engagements every day, and always something going on. Once the locals took over it has been completely quiet. It's not quite Mayberry yet, but to see these guys pull some weight is an awesome thing, and they are pretty dang good. And they should be, because through evolution we weeded out all the bad ones.

An interesting side note: upon talking to a leader in the local security forces, I discovered that he was part of a crew that would attack an outpost we had last deployment. We'd get shot at least a few times a week. Well, apparently this guy was one of the ones doing that shooting at us last deployment. Yeah, a little unnerving. We shared an awkward stare down and I kept my safety off. Although I did have the urge to slam the guy's head in a HMMWV door, I realized there's a much bigger picture. He wants me gone just as much as I want to leave, but he realizes that we can work together for a common goal. Plus fighting Marines must be hard - Allah d*mn those smart bombs. It's indicative of a counterinsurgency however; enemies become friends and vice versa. The point is we're seeing a turning of the tide, that most of you will not hear about on the news.

Interested in knowing what servicemen think of world events? The media and anti-war movement disgusts us and couldn't be further from supporting us - we see it for what it is - just political jockeying for votes. Whether you agree with the war or not, supporting us doesn't mean taking away funding, cutting us off at the knees. Ask anybody here, they say finish what we started. We are seeing serious success now - why would you set unrealistic deadlines and not give us the chance to meet them?

I should be coming back sometime next month. I'm getting orders to XXXXXXXX once I return so I'll be moving from the desert to the beach. Time for less 18 hr workdays and more 9-12s, followed by beach volleyball (appropriately shirtless and with top gun '80s music in the background.) I hope to talk to you all soon when I get back and get a new phone and number. Hope everything is going well with all of you, feel free to let me know what's going on with you.

Love, xxxxxxxx

Back