Less Moderation, more expression.

Damien435

I can't help but to notice that whenever a thread starts going, I mean true back and forth discussion, a MOD steps in and says the disussion is off topic and deletes a bunch of posts, essentilly killing the thread becuase half the posts were deleted. Let the forums flow, let the topics wander a little, this is for discussion, if people start to wander a litle so be it, have you any idea how much harder your life would be if we tried to start a new thread every single time the current topic changed a little. Let us express ourselves, if the person who started the thread asks for MOD assistance that is one thing, but when the creator is actively partaking in the discussions even if they are off topic let it flow.

If you don't care to follow the rules we have on this forum, feel free to find another one.

Every member has or should have read the forum rules when they signed up, and all are required to follow them. If a topic sparks your interest in another indirectly related field, start another seperate thread on that topic.

Redneck said:
If you don't care to follow the rules we have on this forum, feel free to find another one.

I was led to believe that this SUGGESTIONS thread was to post SUGGESTIONS about how to improve these forums, if I was in any way mislead please tell me so now.

Yes, that is a good point, why is it that my post in response to a question by a mod was deleted and not the mod's question? He asked what I though a true war was and I answered, seems like a simple concept to me.

Damien435 said:
I can't help but to notice that whenever a thread starts going, I mean true back and forth discussion, a MOD steps in and says the disussion is off topic and deletes a bunch of posts, essentilly killing the thread becuase half the posts were deleted.

No posts/threads will be locked/deleted if they're not off-topic..

It's a pain in the a*s to read an interesting discussion that moves in a completely wrong direction, that's why we (unfortunately) have to moderate some of the threads.

We are a bit stricter in the military related forums, but we allow the discussions to wander (much more) off track in the junior and general chit chat forums.
That's why we've made them, so please feel free to use them for those kind of "discussions".

Feel free to PM me if any of you have any problems with this, most suggestions are welcome.

Quit whining Damien. Follow the rules, and you won't have any problems.

As has been said many times, if you have a problem, PM one of the moderators - save the drama for other sites.

I assume I can post this since it is related to the topic of this thread.

My problem is when everyone on the thread, including the thread starter, starts to talk about something related but a little off topic, one day you have a page and a half of posts, then next you have a bunch of posts all saying MOD EDIT: Stay on Topic. in blue, let the forums flow, that is the point, for people to discuss ideas, and talking about the Korean War is directly related to the topic of a deserter from the US Army during the Korean War, we need to understand what was going on during that time to maybe get an understanding of why that person chose to desert to North Korea.

We usually let the topics wander a bit off, that's normal in a discussion.
But when the discussion's suddenly about something completely different than the original topic we do take actions....

Other forums may accept off-topic posts more than we do, but many of those "other forums" do have some serious problems with flaming/spamming as well.

We expect that the military related discussions stay on topic, as they would (in most cases) have done in real life.
The general chit chat (as I've already said) is for "off-topic" discussion.

This is (and will always be) a forum made by and for military related personel.
And we may be a bit stricter with the rules here than in other forums, but that's how it is and that's how it will continue to be.

If you can't accept that then I recommend that you find somewhere else to spend your time.

I just want to apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my posts, I was not trying to say that they did not serve their country, just trying to say that warfare has changed and trying to give my opinion on the matter.

GuyontheRight said:
This is probobly the best kept and controlled military forum Ive seen. Go over to www.militaryphotos.net, they dont moderate at all, and have a forum thats gone to h**l.

It must have got real bad because my computer is blocking it! But anyway, I try my best to stay on topic. And I love to use that little :eek:fftopic: guy when I know I will post such a message. And then I make it a point to say I am back on topic.

Back