Less lethal and non lethal?

SWCC

Recently wrote an article on the Ray Gun, a non lethal ADS (active denial system) that causes a severe burning sensation. Military is examining it's use in Afghanistan and also with the LA SHeriff's dept for crowd control in prisons, riots etc. What is your opinion on non lethal weapons? If the enemy is using lethal force, do you think we should use less lethal?

http://strangeweaponoftheweek.com/ray-gun.html

I get the impression that not killed is better for the target than killed, most of the time. I wonder if there is a chance of permenent injury, but if the alternative was .308 or .223 in the COM, this sounds better.

I get the impression that not killed is better for the target than killed, most of the time. I wonder if there is a chance of permenent injury, but if the alternative was .308 or .223 in the COM, this sounds better.

Just not rubber bullet guns. Here in Russia, so many people have them now, you don't even need a licence.

I myself carry a Streamer 1014
streamer-1014_1.jpg

Manufactured by Turkish company Target Technologies exclusively for sale in Russia. Shoots rubber bullets and tear gas bullets. 14 round magazine.

My wife has a Osa (Wasp) pistol, very popular with women because extremely compact, can be carried in purse or even in pocket
Wasp_%28non-lethal_weapon%29.jpg

Produced in Russia by one of the state-owned arms factories, "New Weapons Technologies". Fires 5 kinds of ammo: rubber with metal nucleus (the force of its blow is said to be compared with that of a direct, close-up punch by a heavyweight boxer); tear gas; flash-bang; "shocker" (rubber with electrodes on end, like Taser, but claimed to be more powerful); and signal light (come in red, green, or yellow color).

Ownership (and, thus, usage) of these is widespread. But, now, the government wants to limit them, because people are being killed by them. Rubber bullets are supposed to be non-lethal, but it depends where you aim and how amny times you shoot the person. People, it seems, have died after being shot in the head with rubber. And one man was killed in a fight by a "traumatic" (rubber-bullet) pistol, after he was shot in the leg and it severed a artery and he bled to death...

I still think it's not grounds for a ban; but for more training and education.

Back