Leopard 2 vs. Leclerc

Leopard 2 vs. Leclerc

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
German crew in the Leopard and French in the LeClerc? Well I have to give it to the Leopard as its hard to hit a target when you're in reverse.
;)
Seriously though, to my thinking the LeClerc is the freshman recruit who hasn't been down in the mud with the big boys for real yet and as such it would be foolish to opt for it over the proven Leopard.

-Why do the french have tree lined boulevards?

-because nazis like to march in the shade :)

Anyway i voted for the Leo2 because of the export sales and the semi-proven history.

Well, the LeClerc is faster, and that is its one and only advantage over the Leopard 2a6. The Leopard is better armored, has better anti-mine protection, probably a better FCS. One big point against the LeClerc is barrelling down. It is incapable of barrelling down very far with the turret facing forward. The Leo can be facing any direction you like. The LeClerc does have a lower profile. Overall, the Leopard 2a6 is superior, but I doubting that the LeClerc is getting a fair shake. It truly is a very good tank. Unfortunately, the French have never had any tank prove itself to be a big hit on the field of battle, so everyone is going to tend to overlook them .

bulldogg said:
German crew in the Leopard and French in the LeClerc? Well I have to give it to the Leopard as its hard to hit a target when you're in reverse.
;)
Seriously though, to my thinking the LeClerc is the freshman recruit who hasn't been down in the mud with the big boys for real yet and as such it would be foolish to opt for it over the proven Leopard.

When has the Leopard 2 been down in the mud?

I know the Leo 1 has, but we're talking about the big Two here.

Koz said:
The Leclerc is a very advanced tank with a great gun, great FCS, and good ammo. Don't dismiss it

Doesn't the French Army use DU rounds? I think they're forbidden in Germany or something stupid.

Last edited:
Cadet Seaman said:
I don't think so. The German's buy DU rounds and others of us.

No, the German armyd doesn't use DU. The DM53 tungsten round is the standard German penetrator. It still gets 800mm at 2km.

The French do use DU rounds, and they are very good.

Koz said:
No, the German armyd doesn't use DU. The DM53 tungsten round is the standard German penetrator. It still gets 800mm at 2km.

The French do use DU rounds, and they are very good.

Surely that means the Leclerc has a better chance at penetrating any given armor than the Leo 2?

Anyways, I voted Leclerc because it looks cooler. Before both tanks are actually deployed in combat we won't know for sure, which is "better".

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Surely that means the Leclerc has a better chance at penetrating any given armor than the Leo 2?

Anyways, I voted Leclerc because it looks cooler. Before both tanks are actually deployed in combat we won't know for sure, which is "better".

Not really, the French DU round and the German tungsten rounds both get about the same amount of penetration.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Does that mean the French DU-rounds are inferior to the American equivalent?
France is pseudo-NATO and gets in on the whole merry technology sharing. For the same reason that all NATO-aligned main battle tanks have 120mm main guns, the ammo is intended to be pretty much equivalent and pretty much interchangeable. Biggest difference that I'm aware of if the Challenger. Odds are, I can fire either round from either tank.

godofthunder9010 said:
France is pseudo-NATO and gets in on the whole merry technology sharing. For the same reason that all NATO-aligned main battle tanks have 120mm main guns, the ammo is intended to be pretty much equivalent and pretty much interchangeable. Biggest difference that I'm aware of if the Challenger. Odds are, I can fire either round from either tank.

Really? The Leo has the L55 to use the DM53's, while the M1 uses the L44. The L55 is longer to suit the DM53's.

The Challenger has a Rifled barrel, while it can fire Sabot's it must be CHARM, while the U.S. uses Sabot's suited to smoothbore.

The Challenger, I already mentioned as being inherently noncompatable, and yes I know it uses a Rifled 120mm barrel. But

The Leopard's L55, true. I don't know for certain whether the LeClerc has an L44 or L55 or some other size, but that wasn't my point. The underlying thing is: In a pinch, worst case scenario, you'd make some modifications (like a longer barrell) but NATO tanks are intended to be cross-compatable.

Back