Leopard 2 vs. Leclerc

Leopard 2 vs. Leclerc

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
godofthunder9010 said:
The Challenger, I already mentioned as being inherently noncompatable, and yes I know it uses a Rifled 120mm barrel. But

The Leopard's L55, true. I don't know for certain whether the LeClerc has an L44 or L55 or some other size, but that wasn't my point. The underlying thing is: In a pinch, worst case scenario, you'd make some modifications (like a longer barrell) but NATO tanks are intended to be cross-compatable.

You try changing 7,000 barrels.

That was the main difference between the Leopard 2a5 and the Leopard 2a6, was it not? I've yet to be able to find a source for the LeClerc's barrell size anyways, but this does seem to be degenerating into being a bit nitpicky.

godofthunder9010 said:
That was the main difference between the Leopard 2a5 and the Leopard 2a6, was it not? I've yet to be able to find a source for the LeClerc's barrell size anyways, but this does seem to be degenerating into being a bit nitpicky.

It was indeed the direct difference between the 2 A5 and 2 A6, among better armor and electronics. But the change of L44 to L55 was the major change.

godofthunder9010 said:
The Challenger, I already mentioned as being inherently noncompatable, and yes I know it uses a Rifled 120mm barrel. But

The Leopard's L55, true. I don't know for certain whether the LeClerc has an L44 or L55 or some other size, but that wasn't my point. The underlying thing is: In a pinch, worst case scenario, you'd make some modifications (like a longer barrell) but NATO tanks are intended to be cross-compatable.

The Leclerc has an L52 barrell length.

AlexKall said:
The DM53 is used for both the L44 and the L55, even though it gets the better result in a L55 (obviously)

Excatly. One of the reasons why they chose to use the L55.

Koz said:
Yes, the American M829A3 DU round is the most advanced of it's kind in the world.

Isn't that a kind of bold statement?

"Excatly. One of the reasons why they chose to use the L55."

Well it does come at a cost.

AlexKall said:
Isn't that a kind of bold statement?

"Excatly. One of the reasons why they chose to use the L55."

Well it does come at a cost.

I really don't think thats a blod statment at all.

The silly part is that I don't even like the LeClerc to begin with. I think it would probably be a safe bet that its L44, but does anyone know? I suppose that the L55 would give would give the Leopard the ability to fire either munition (after mucking/tweaking a bit with the FCS and other stuff.) That would give the a6 another point up on the LeClerc. But unless I've missed something, we don't know for sure what the LeClerc actually has for a barrell.

Seriously though, we've run these polls far too many times, haven't we?? Why take the Leopard 2a6 (always ends up in top 3) against the LeClerc (doesn't usually ever make even the top 10)?? You'd get a lot better milage outa Merkava vs Leopard or M1-Abrams.

godofthunder9010 said:
The silly part is that I don't even like the LeClerc to begin with. I think it would probably be a safe bet that its L44, but does anyone know? I suppose that the L55 would give would give the Leopard the ability to fire either munition (after mucking/tweaking a bit with the FCS and other stuff.) That would give the a6 another point up on the LeClerc. But unless I've missed something, we don't know for sure what the LeClerc actually has for a barrell.

Seriously though, we've run these polls far too many times, haven't we?? Why take the Leopard 2a6 (always ends up in top 3) against the LeClerc (doesn't usually ever make even the top 10)?? You'd get a lot better milage outa Merkava vs Leopard or M1-Abrams.

The Leclerc uses a L52 barrell.http://www.army-technology.com/projects/leclerc/

zander_0633 said:
Any idea which countries are using the tanks mentioned above besides Germany and France?

The Leo 2 is used by Sweden, the Netherlands and Greece (that I know of. Probably some other countries aswell)

The Leclerc is used by one other country afaik (some tiny Arab country like Qatar, Oman, the UAE or something. I'm really not sure).

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
The Leo 2 is used by Sweden, the Netherlands and Greece (that I know of. Probably some other countries aswell)

The Leclerc is used by one other country afaik (some tiny Arab country like Qatar, Oman, the UAE or something. I'm really not sure).

The UAE uses them. Initially there were big problems with reliability but they seem to be fixed

Mohmar Deathstrike said:

The Leo 2 is operated by 12 other countries aside from Germany - it's almost a Euro-wide tank.
  • Austria, 114 Leopard 2NL(A4)
  • Denmark, 51 Leopard 2 A5+
  • Germany, 852 Leopard 2 (502 Leopard 2A4, 125 Leopard 2A5, 225 Leopard 2A6)
  • The Netherlands,180 Leopard 2A6NL
  • Norway, 52 Leopard 2NL(A4)
  • Switzerland, 380 Pz 87
  • Sweden, 160 L2A4 as the Strv 121 and 120 L2A5+ as the Strv 122
  • Spain, 108 L2A4 and 219 L2A6 as the Leopard 2E
  • Finland, 124 Leopard 2A4
  • Poland, 128 Leopard 2A4
  • Greece, 183 Leopard 2A4 and 170 Leopard 2GR(HEL)
  • Turkey, 298 Leopard 2A4
  • Chile, 100 Leopard 2A4 (They'll arrive at 2006)
Source - Wikipedia

WEll so much info about the Leo 2! wad about the French made tank? Any info? btw, wad is the min and max operating temp for the tanks?

Back