Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Abrams

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damien435 said:
Sometimes your best shot is not necessarily a good shot.
AlexKall said:
Excuse me but what? :confused:

It means that sometimes your best shot opportunity is still not good enough to knock out a tank. Like if you have infantry about to outflank you your only option might be to fire a shot at the frontal armor of the tank and hope for the best because within a few seconds your cover will be blown and you will not be able to fire any shot.

nICE INFO.! So is it easier to shoot a RPG on top of the turret? So IF a rebel shoots from a roof of a building ? Will the tank be destroyed?

Damien435 said:
It means that sometimes your best shot opportunity is still not good enough to knock out a tank. Like if you have infantry about to outflank you your only option might be to fire a shot at the frontal armor of the tank and hope for the best because within a few seconds your cover will be blown and you will not be able to fire any shot.

Thats what i categorize as desperation ;)

Cadet Seaman said:
Atfter reading the report pages 4 -10 is states in the first sentance of the first paragraph the "No catastrophic losses due to Iraqi dierect or indirect fire weapons."

It also states in the second paragraph of page 4 first sentance that "Frontal turret and hull armor continues to provide excellent crew protection. Top side and rear armor remains susceptable to penetration."

As you continue to read this paragraph it goes to explain that 25mm DU-AP rounds fired from a Bradley disabled to engine on an M1.

From what I read in the report.No M1 has been destroyed from Iraqi insurgents , only one has be totally destroyed and the was from friendly fire of on Sabot, a thermite grenade and two Maverick Missiles. Also the photos and pics of M1's scorched or burned by friendly fire or by ammo ejection, also by vandalism by Iraqi's or striped for parts.

Only one report of penetration for enemy fire is recorded, that is of the strange round the pentrated throught the non-ballistic skirts and into the Hydraulic Reservoir, this is on page 8 of the report.

After this report was made an RPG penetrated the turrent ring and injured the TC with shrapnel.

Koz said:
After this report was made an RPG penetrated the turrent ring and injured the TC with shrapnel.

Only one report of penetration for enemy fire is recorded, that is of the strange round the pentrated throught the non-ballistic skirts and into the Hydraulic Reservoir, this is on page 8 of the report.

I would have voted for the Leo 2 but I fogot about this thread. My bad. so technicalliy the Leo 2 would have won 13 to 12, but I came to late..........DAMN DAMN DAMN.

Cadet Seaman said:

Yes, and after that report was published another RPG found penetration.

Yes, and after that report was published another RPG found penetration.

That is simply a false statement, only one penetration that was explained to you by another forum poster, FO Seaman. and that freak round may of well been a reguler RPG-7 projectile that entered through a roadwheel arm housing. No tandem projectiles as of yet have been used in Iraq.

RPG-7s, at some anges and areas, can penetrate the toughest tanks in the world. Some RPG rounds now have 700mm penetration, and no tank is expected to be protected 360 against that...

RPG-7s, at some anges and areas, can penetrate the toughest tanks in the world. Some RPG rounds now have 700mm penetration, and no tank is expected to be protected 360 against that...

Yes - RPG 7V and RPG - 29 are nasty little buggers with their tandem shaped charges. Alot of people do not realize it but most of the tanks out there offer the best protection at the 60 degree frontal ark, they are not designed to fight in urbanized settings. Best tank fielded for this type of operation would have to go to the Merkava 4 with its modular armor design and ballistic angles.

I would like to say that the above statement is ludicrous and that everybody knows tanks are not designed for urban warfare. Unfortunately I've seen how ignorant my fellow students are in all matters not related to the big party at (insert fraternity name here) and have to concede that very few people realize tanks are actually designed to duel on open plains or better yet, ambush from concealed positions, punch a whole in the enemy lines, and move forward with infantry and air support. Most people seem to think tanks are designed to work on their own or in small groups with other tanks hundreds of miles away from the nearest supply depot/fuel truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back