left for paris island

ROTC girl

My boyfriend who is also my best friend left for paris island yesterday, :crybaby:does anyone have any tips on getting through marine boot while in a relationship. Or anything that I could do back here to help him get through.

Send him care packages and lots of mail. Letters don't have to say much but getting a letter will keep his morale up.

Yep... get out of the relationship! that is the best way to survive the relationship. Twisted logic, but hey, that's just me.

Send him care packages and lots of mail. Letters don't have to say much but getting a letter will keep his morale up.

Whoa! Do not. I say again. Do not. Send a Marine Recruit any care packages, unless you want him to be miserable.

Send him letters. Letters should include only his address:

Recruit Smuckatelli
Co. G, Plt 20XX 2nd RTBN
MCRD Parris Island SC

or whatever his address is.

And your return address

Nothing on the outside of the envelope like SWACK, Love you pookie bear. No pretty little hearts, or flowers or perfume sprayed on the letter. Just the letter. Otherwise he's gonna pay for it.

Send him alot of pink letters with perfume on them.
Make sure to add "Can´t smoke a rock?" on the outside...Makes military mail get there faster..

//KJ.

Send him alot of pink letters with perfume on them.
Make sure to add "Can´t smoke a rock?" on the outside...Makes military mail get there faster..

//KJ.

Ohhhhhh yer gonna get that kid's knot smoked:p

When I was on this here board last we had some fun times with these type of questions.
I can see the climate around here has changed a tad.

I withdraw my comment and advice you to just suck it up.
If he can, you can.

//KJ.

Whoa! Do not. I say again. Do not. Send a Marine Recruit any care packages, unless you want him to be miserable.

Send him letters. Letters should include only his address:

Recruit Smuckatelli
Co. G, Plt 20XX 2nd RTBN
MCRD Parris Island SC

or whatever his address is.

And your return address

Nothing on the outside of the envelope like SWACK, Love you pookie bear. No pretty little hearts, or flowers or perfume sprayed on the letter. Just the letter. Otherwise he's gonna pay for it.

Hahahahahaha. Well said.

Communication is the greatest factor and obviously that is one of the things that is cut off most. Make every chance you get count. And even if he doesnt write back, remember he will get your letters and reads them. Sometimes trainees dont have time to respond. Until he gets to a phone, those letters are your connection.

How long have you been dating and how close are you?

I made the mistake of tell my best friend from HS that we had to do 20 pushups for every letter we got over 3 in one day. Since I shot him in the ass with a bbgun before I left for basic, he mailed me 20 postcards on the same day. Ahh sweet revenge. My arms are still sore and that was almost 20 years ago.

You asked ...........

ROTC girl said:
My boyfriend who is also my best friend left for paris island yesterday, :crybaby:does anyone have any tips on getting through marine boot while in a relationship. Or anything that I could do back here to help him get through.
Yeah ... I can give you some advice .....

Send him one letter saying you will not be sending him any more letters till he finishes boot camp and receives orders to his first permanent assignment. He doesn't need anything that reminds him of home that might possibly cause him homesickness during boot camp - it's hard enough the way it is for those who are NOT leaving a girlfriend back "in the world" - it's even worse for those who are.

As far as "care" packages, send them and he will end up having to share or be ostracized by the rest of the guys - this isn't a boys summer camp we are talking about here ... it is the military - a foreign world to that which you and he grew up in. It has it's own rules and of all of the boot camps we are talking about ... the Marine boot camp is the worst.

If the two of you are serious about each other, you can survive not writing each other. It would be better if he were to call you every couple of weeks if you absolutely have to remain in contact during his boot camp stint.

The worst hazing that I have experienced or heard of, was the hazing due to letters that have "XXXs" or "SWACK, Love you pookie bear. No pretty little hearts, or flowers or perfume sprayed on the letter" that Spartacus mentioned. ** Marine DIs are experts at that kind of hazing **.

I know you probably won't take my advice ... but ... you asked ... and ... I gave you an honest answer.

The worst hazing that I have experienced or heard of, was the hazing due to letters that have "XXXs" or "SWACK, Love you pookie bear. No pretty little hearts, or flowers or perfume sprayed on the letter" that Spartacus mentioned. ** Marine DIs are experts at that kind of hazing **.

I know you probably won't take my advice ... but ... you asked ... and ... I gave you an honest answer.

Uhh I didnt say that...
And I agree with the simple plain letter deal. Not writing is also an approach, although one that would not have helped me at all. Ideally, you two should have talked this through before he left, although I guess hindsight is 20/20 (or better).

I guess, ROTC girl, find what works for you and stick to it. Whatever helps you get through this is the way to go.

Thanks guys I'll keep it all in mind and I wasn't planning on sending him and perfumed, pink, or any other kind of girly letter it's just not me... I'm way too much of a cuuntry girl for that. Anywho I knew going into the relationship about him enlisting and its only 13 weeks right... hopefully it will fly buy.

well there has been a change...his dad got a call from him yesterday saying that he has pneumonia and won't be re-evaluated for another two weeks so insted of 13 weeks it's now 15 weeks.

Well, as said before, letters. And keep the outside simple... You don't want him ending up hating you, do you. I was just transfered to reserve from my service time and I can say that those letters were the best thing you could get inside. Of course I served in Finnish defense forces so you had free time from 18.00 to 21.00 almost every evening when we were in barracks. I could call my girl pretty much every evening...

Thats lucky... they where told that they would have about an hour every night for mail but its boot so they may not end up getting that hour depending on how they act durring the day.

Thats lucky... they where told that they would have about an hour every night for mail but its boot so they may not end up getting that hour depending on how they act durring the day.

Uh negative. Recruits have one hour of sqaure away time in the evening. During this hour they must shower, shave and sqaure away uniforms for the next day. They may also be required to particpate in remedial PT if they are non-hackers or remedial knowledge if they are rocks. Then they can read mail and write letters. They do however have an extended period on Sunday Morning. So thats when most letters are written.

Back