Lee Enfield SMLE .303

AussieNick

Forum Digger
I'm looking at buying a Lee Enfield SMLE .303 from 1941 (first made in 1908) to add to my collection. It's cheap, and works well, but I want to know, what are peoples opinion on this rifle as a roo hunting gun (eg. a gun for taking out bush), also opinions on it in a military applications, and any general comments about this rifle, eg. problems, qualities etc.

smle1mk3r.jpg

I own two MKIII'S. One being the grenade launching version with the reinforced stock.

The are good reliable rifles with accuracy that would be expected from a general issue military weapon.

excellent... I have a number 4... great rifle. If you can get your hands on a number 5 jungle carbine, they are good too.

I've seen and fired the number 5 and I agree. Now I have to convince HH6 I need one. :lol:

the .303 does some serious damage so big game hunting could be an option, because .303 projectile is so long that its unstable in mid flight and when it hits the target it tumbles, so if you ever go to the target range you will probably see a few oblong shaped holes, but this tumbling is defistating on animal flesh

i have had a Mk3 for a couple of years for pig/deer hunting. it's cheap effective and fun. i just love crawling round in the bush with a WWII rifle.

Well I'm glad to hear people have had positive experiences with them. Roo and pig hunting would be my main purpose for it.

I love em too. Took down a Bushpig with one a few years back. Knocked it down like a load of bricks. I'm sure a roo would be easier - the range is a problem though. If you can get close enough, it should be able to take a roo down without too much problems.
I remember the days when you could buy one for around R60 (if you had a family member in th eSouth African Commando's -not SF - just a NAtional Guard type setup). Cheap, REALLY reliable and fun to shoot.

Back