Leclerc

Shadowalker

I was wondering what you think of this tank, it has come up some other posts but i thought it could have its own. From what ive read about it its a very good tank up with the M1A2, Leopard 2, challenger 2. what do you think.
How does its armour compare?
How goes its arnament compare?
Reliability?

Thanks

The Leclerc is a good tank, it's two strengths are it's mobility and electronics. The fire control, optics, and communications (FINDERS) are all on par or better then other western tanks. I don't know much about the armor, but I would assume wouldn't be anymore then other tanks, probably less because of the lighter weight. It's gun and ammo are good too.

It wouldn't have any problem against a fight with any other modern tank. Except the auto-loader, a 3 man crew fatigues much faster then a 4 man one.

I read somewhere (Eric you might know) that the gun can be manually loaded as well if the autoloader does break!
Is there any recorded instances of the autolader breaking?

Uncle_Sam said:
In my opinion, the only tank that can engage Abrams on equal terms. :D

I would argue the Leopard 2A6 can do that too. Possibly the Challenger II as well, although it's probably not as maneuverable. It may have better armor, however.

Thats the problem that you cant pick a winner out of the leclerc, M1A2, Leopard 2A6, challenger 2. And its not very likely that we will ever see them against each other.

I know i like the leclerc more than the others due to the profile and with its advanced FINDERS systems its an awesome tank.

I served the good old AMX 30 B and B2 and followed the developpment and fielding of the Leclerc.
The Leclerc has been designed as a weapon system, that is to say as a piece integrated in a bigger picture included but not limited to multiple crews for one tank (for rotation to keep tank's availibility to the max), battlefield management (one can see where other tanks are), remote maintenance and status monitoring (technical, ammos, crews...)...It comes/will come with a whole range of support systems/vehicles adapted to the weapon system.
The engine is small and powerful, using latest ceramic technology for bearings and all...if you floor it on dirt, the tracks just spin like a muscle car...on hard surface, it beats at start any regular compact car. Mobility is impressive and so is stabilization. Actually field testing showed it more accurate on the move than static, killing target at 4000 meters while moving on dirt tracks at 30 km/h and faster...
Armor is like any modern composite armor but also modular...the "panels" can be changed to adapt the threats.
Autoloader is awesome: it is electric and barcode driven...Gunner or commander select the ammo and rotations and scan occur quickly too present the right ammo, open a little armored door and load it....Firing speed is up to 6 rounds per minute and autoloader reliability comes from our 20 years successful experiece with the SP AMX 155 AUF1 that can fires 6 rounds of 155mm from a static position and switches positions while the rounds are still in the air (it was fine tuned with Iraqi forces during the Iran-Iraq conflict...).
A crew of 3 does not really get tired faster than a crew of 4...Tasks are automated...
I'd say without chauvinism that it is one of the top tanks and only the skills of the crews would make the difference between the M1, the Leo, the Challenger, the T90 or the Leclerc...

In a 3 man crew it is the TC that would tire more quickly. Behind the fighter pilot, the TC is the most overburdened job in the military, you have to scan and engage targets, communicate with your crew and other tanks, analyze the situation, and usually do this all at once. With a fourth crewmember, scanning and communicating is much easier. When the loader isn't loading shells, he's working the radio and looking for targets. Not to mention maintenence, hauling tracks, armor plates, ammo, fuel, is very tiring and having a 4th guy is handy.

One thing I hate about Leclerc advertisments is they claim that it is the only tank with modular armor. That is bullshit, the Abrams and Merkava both have this. How do you think they upgrade the armor? Also, the FINDERS system on the Leclerc is pretty much the exact same thing as the IVIS and TCCS.

But Eric is right no western tank has any big advantage over eachother. What it comes down to is skill, training, and the commanders.
And all western tanks are more accurate on the move, at high speeds is when the gyro kicks up, even the Bradley is more accurate moving

Back