At least one blast, maybe two in Oslo, Norway

It seems like they gotten hold of the owner of the mysterious suitcase, and that the railway station now open for traffic again.

The complete list of the killed in this terrorist attack has been released here:
https://www.politi.no/Kampanje_70.xhtml
I unfortunately know some names on that list, and some are friends of friends, friends of some in my family, some of them are kids of people I know both from work and elsewhere....
It's really hard to look at all of the photos here seeing that most of the victims was just kids....... :?
http://www.nrk.no/minnetavle/

The total number is 77, 8 from the bomb blast and 69 from the shooting at Utøya..

The Police have (thankfully) no experience with tragedies of this size so the first days was quite chaotic for them so that's the reason for the difference between the first numbers they released and the real number...

It also looks like it's pure luck that the number of killed isn't much higher as well.
Initially he planned 3 bombs in total but didn't have time to make more then one.
He also planned to detonate the bomb earlier on that day, when a lot more people would have been in their offices, but he got delayed in traffic.....
He alo got delayed in traffic up to Utøya, so that may also have saved lives up there.

I just came back (a few hours ago) from a trip down south to my old home town.
Life seemed to go on there, allthough in a slower pace than before, but that was untill I found the old monument in the town square covered in flowers and candles.
There was some few youngsters standing around in silence, and while I didn't know what to do at the moment, I crouched down in order to relight a few of the candles that had been blown out by the wind.
While I was doing that, a youngster in his early twenties appeared, pale and clearly affected by something, and started putting up new torches in place of the ones who had burned out.
After doing that, he stood behind me, sobbing heavily and whispering through the tears, over and over again.
"She will come back, right?"
His friends, gathered around him in an effort to give him some kind of comfort, as well as I, all knew that she was not going to come back, but who could tell him...
The news only became official the next day.
Last thing I noticed before I left town was that he's still there, as every evening, straight from work, and replaces the burned out torches.

One year has passed today...

RIP to everyone killed in this terrible tragedy, and my thoughts also goes to all of the families who lost their loved ones that day... :?

People have been gathering all around the country today to mark the one year anniversary for the terrorist attack.
http://www.norwaypost.no/news/the-nation-gathers-for-the-july-22nd-anniversary-27209.html

The trial is over, and the terrorist will get his sentence announced August 24...

flaggstang2011_thumb_medium210_318.jpg

22/7 - 2011

All my love and compassion goes you my Norwegian brothers and sisters on this day.

Hvil i fred.

My heart goes out to the families of these children and knowing that they will never be forgotten is a comfort to them. Life goes on but we never forget. My hope is that time has healed some of their pain.

It's 5 years today since this terrible day, and it's still painfull to read about it.. :?

So my thoughts goes to everyone who lost their loved ones 5 years ago, and to everyone affected directly or indirectly by the terrible terrorist attacks around the world the last few months as well... :(

7 years have passed, and even now it's still quite hard to read through this thread....

The youth camp has been up and running again at Utøya for several years now, but todays date will probably be quite special there for many more years.
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks...ake-til-utoeya-hvert-aar-jeg-har-vaert-heldig

But the buildings in the the Government quarter that were heavily damaged by the bomb still haven't been fixed.
The plans for the new Government quarter has recently been approved, and the new buildings are planned to be in use from 2023-2025.

7 years have passed, and even now it's still quite hard to read through this thread....

The youth camp has been up and running again at Utøya for several years now, but todays date will probably be quite special there for many more years.
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks...ake-til-utoeya-hvert-aar-jeg-har-vaert-heldig

But the buildings in the the Government quarter that were heavily damaged by the bomb still haven't been fixed.
The plans for the new Government quarter has recently been approved, and the new buildings are planned to be in use from 2023-2025.

I have just watched a documentary (interviews with the police officers, para-rescue, survivors, and other civilians) about it. First the bomb in Oslo and then his attack on the island. There were a lot of confusion and uncertainties during the attack. That is normal during events like this one.

The police described communication problems between the tactical team heading toward the island and the local police officers. It took a long time to get the helicopter in the air. I guess the Norwegian landscape is making radio communication more difficult. The chopper is something that must be addressed. I presume Norway has strict legislation about using military resources domestically, most European countries have strict laws about it. Sweden can use its special forces in a similar situation, can Norway use its special forces or were they too far away for being deployed to the island?

You do still feel the emptiness when you are thinking about it, don't you? I have felt the emptiness when I have faced serious events. No sorrow, no anger, no pain, only the emptiness

Sweden can use its special forces in a similar situation, can Norway use its special forces or were they too far away for being deployed to the island?

There was quite a lot of challenges using the military, not just special forces, in situations like that before this happened.
The nearest special forces wasn't far away, the same with military helicopters, but they could not be used then.
But the situation has has improved quite alot, and it's easier to use the military in terrorist attacks or other crisis now, even if there still are some challenges that needs to be sorted out.

You do still feel the emptiness when you are thinking about it, don't you? I have felt the emptiness when I have faced serious events.
Not so much emptiness, but I still get angry inside when I read or hear about this.
Not only for the terrorist and what he did, but also at how it was possible that this could happen at all, the planning and preparations went undetected and how little prepared the different services was for a situation like this.

Back