learning from the sages

Leave them alone-they retired, they are getting on with their lives.

You have cadre and other senior people who do the training.

Maybe you can catch them and grind them up and make pills from them.

Buy us a beer and maybe we'll tell some lie stories about the old days.
As MikeP
said: You have cadre and other senior people who do the training.

The question reminded me of seeing a number of retired NCOs who were recalled and sent to VN as they had "critical MOSs."

Really creeped me out, I figured they had done their 20+ years and were getting on with their lives.

The first ones I saw were in line for clothing issue my first day in basic.

One should try not to become too important or even standnext to somebody who looks important.

A lot of things in the military change fast enough that a lot of retirees would not have relevent info.

The question reminded me of seeing a number of retired NCOs who were recalled and sent to VN as they had "critical MOSs."
Same situation occurred again during GWOT. Helicopter pilots were amongst those recalled if memory serves.

And these men are right, things change. Nothing I could say regarding medical treatment or procedures would apply to today's army... the mos, the training, the meds, they have all changed. All I would do is get in the way.

Allot of retired SF/SEAL guys working as DOD contractors, I had dealings with them from time to time, I was a DOD guy myself. Some were still in the training pipeline and others had jobs with big defense contractors as advisors. SF/SOF experience in GWOT = $$$. There was only 1 guy I worked with out of dozens who had no military experience.

Last edited:
was suggesting using veterans(best just retired) for training of gennext.
would not a veteran whose been through it all bring out the operational lessons with much more realism

There's enough AD with combat experience now and they are up to speed with how things are done.

Same situation occurred again during GWOT. Helicopter pilots were amongst those recalled if memory serves.

And these men are right, things change. Nothing I could say regarding medical treatment or procedures would apply to today's army... the mos, the training, the meds, they have all changed. All I would do is get in the way.
I'd hate to try to count how many infantry types I helped process back in at Benning. As I recall, the Pres. issued an Executive Order that recalled everyone who had been honorably discharged within the previous year. Your MOS only determined the facility where you reported. I saw any number of recently retired folks come through (I even recognized a few) and their attitudes were very positive.Their skills were still very relevant of course. The biggest problem was what to do with those soldiers whose training had been suspended in order to accommodate all the recalled personnel. I did that until my own company was organized and was deployed. It was a TOW company.

Retired guys require a beer and your silent ears. Newer vets like myself are a hit or miss prospect. The easiest way to find out if they can be used is just to pitch them your idea. If their eyes don't instantly light up at the opportunity, they are of no further need to be bothered.

Depending on your location, I might personally be of some help though. Shoot me a line.

Back