Learning the history of britain through movies

I was watching an interesting TV series a while back. Monarchy by the British historian David Starkey, you are right the British history is complicated. When the Brits weren't fighting the French, they fought amongst themselves.

According to some the present Royal Family are not true heirs to the throne, the true heir lived in Australia until he died recently, he belonged to the House of Plantagenet's, whom some say are the true heirs to the throne.

We not only fought the French we fought any bugger that come along, usually we won, but sometimes we lost we lost America thanks to the German twonk King George who couldn't even speak English .

There is a Scottish historian making interesting stuff too, his name is Neil Oliver "The World After Stonehenge" and "The History of Scotland" or something like that.

Not only is there Stonehenge, there was also a "Woodhenge." One was if I remember correctly celebrating life, the other death.

Regarding my comment that most movie are not historically correct, last night I was watching "The Battle of Britain." I noticed that most of the Spitfires used in the film were MkIX's, while those actually used were Mk1's or MkV's, the MkIX didn't come into service until 1941, well after the Battle. Most pilots such as Stanford Tuck regarded the MkIX as the best type.

Having had some past experience with VDs interpretation of "learning", I'd say he is probably basing his newly acquired knowledge of Britain on something similar to the old "Carry On" series of movies.

According to some the present Royal Family are not true heirs to the throne, the true heir lived in Australia until he died recently, he belonged to the House of Plantagenet's, whom some say are the true heirs to the throne.

We not only fought the French we fought any bugger that come along, usually we won, but sometimes we lost we lost America thanks to the German twonk King George who couldn't even speak English .

Not only is there Stonehenge, there was also a "Woodhenge." One was if I remember correctly celebrating life, the other death.

Regarding my comment that most movie are not historically correct, last night I was watching "The Battle of Britain." I noticed that most of the Spitfires used in the film were MkIX's, while those actually used were Mk1's or MkV's, the MkIX didn't come into service until 1941, well after the Battle. Most pilots such as Stanford Tuck regarded the MkIX as the best type.

That is way over my knowledge, I can probably see the difference between the different Spitfires if they were parked beside each other. I have seen that movie, though. I am thinking about the movie "Sink the Bismarck" and according to the literature I have read about the hunt and the sinking and the documentaries I have seen about the event, I would say the movie is fairly accurate, the grudge between the German Admiral and the British naval officer coordinating the hunt from the HQ in London is a bit off. When I am thinking about WWII movies, it seems older movies (1950s-1970s) are more accurate than "newer" movies, I might be wrong, what do you think?

That is way over my knowledge, I can probably see the difference between the different Spitfires if they were parked beside each other. I have seen that movie, though. I am thinking about the movie "Sink the Bismarck" and according to the literature I have read about the hunt and the sinking and the documentaries I have seen about the event, I would say the movie is fairly accurate, the grudge between the German Admiral and the British naval officer coordinating the hunt from the HQ in London is a bit off. When I am thinking about WWII movies, it seems older movies (1950s-1970s) are more accurate than "newer" movies, I might be wrong, what do you think?

I think older movies use less "poetic license" but tend to be more cliche where as many newer movies are just horrible for example U-571 which is an insult to the Royal Navy and especially the crew of HMS Bulldog and Inglorious Bastards which was an insult to all those who took part in WW2 and the intelligence of the generations that had to sit through it.

I think older movies use less "poetic license" but tend to be more cliche where as many newer movies are just horrible for example U-571 which is an insult to the Royal Navy and especially the crew of HMS Bulldog and Inglorious Bastards which was an insult to all those who took part in WW2 and the intelligence of the generations that had to sit through it.

Are you referring to the movie when a US submarine capture a German submarine? I have seen that one...........perhaps good as entertainment when you are exhausted on Friday night, but I never liked it, many new war movies are so hyped. I haven't seen the Inglorious Bastards, and I assume that would be a waste of time.

However, would a 100% historically correct movie be entertaining?

Last edited:
Are you referring to the movie when a US submarine capture a German submarine? I have seen that one...........perhaps good as entertainment when you are exhausted on Friday night, but I never liked it, many new war movies are so hyped. I haven't seen the Inglorious Bastards, and I assume that would be a waste of time.

I can't see why not, "The man who never was" was an entertaining movie especially if you knew what it was about, as a movie it stayed pretty close to the truth although it did add to the story with fictional characters such as an Irish spy but the movie even included actual participants like Ewen Montagu.

I do not believe a historical movie has to be 100% accurate as long as you don't try and change actual events for example if you take the U-571 story and rather than have them rolling into port with the Enigma machine but simply change the ending so that they never made it back to port ie due to damage the U-571 had to be abandoned it would have been perfectly fine.

Having had some past experience with VDs interpretation of "learning", I'd say he is probably basing his newly acquired knowledge of Britain on something similar to the old "Carry On" series of movies.

As it happens I knew a few blokes like Sid James and Norman Wisdom, as for Barbara Windsor, "Essex Girls" of today are portraying her perfectly, most have got the IQ of a chocolate frog.

I enjoy drama-documentaries, I assume you are referring to the JFK movie with Kevin Costner and I liked that one, a bit too long perhaps. Another one which may can influence people to study the event is 13 Days (The Cuban Missile Crisis) especially today when the Russians are releasing their side of the story. Was the 1066 worth watching? I haven't seen it

I saw both JFK and 13 Days. I liked them both. After watching the JFK movie I bought the book. Very interesting. (On The Trail Of The Assassins by Jim Garrison - you can buy it used from 1 penny + postage).

I had mixed feelings from 1066. They screwed up a few historical events big time (the fight at the bridge between the Britains and the Vikings and the charge of a single French knight), both of which could have been done more historical without ruining the story. The battles are less impressive than we are used from "Hollywood". But I didn't regret viewing it. The reviews on IMDB might give you more info in order to choose to view it or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Messerschmitts were the Spanish version wit the RR engine.

I've seen the Inglorious Bastards. Disconnect your brain and enjoy the action.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Messerschmitts were the Spanish version wit the RR engine.

Yes you are correct. The Messerschmidt Bf-109 fighters used in the movie were actually Spanish-built Buchons, built under license by the Spanish and being very similar to the Me-109 (Bf-109).

From what I have heard it was a marriage definitely not made in heaven.

update to my list:

Becket (1964) (1155 - 1170)

I was glad I saw "1066" before this one, it helped me better understand what was going on at that time. The movie is historical quite accurate and the errors are more or less minor.

update to my list

The Lion in Winter (2003) (Christmas 1183) - didn't view it till the end. Same dialogs as the 1968 version. The acting was good but not as good as the first one.

King Richard and the Crusaders (1954) (1190 - 1192) - largely fictional love story with very few historical events. King Richard did lead the crusade. French King Philip II and Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa joined him but later abandonend him and King Richard did make an agreement with Saladin. That's all what is left of historical events in this movie.

Ivanhoe (1952) (1192)
Ivanhoe (1982) (1192)
Both films are about Walter Scott's Ivanhoe. It's a fictional story in a historical environment. But both are good. Robin Hood (another fictional person) makes an apearance here but is named Locksley. Both versions are not identical, they differ in some points. Since there are some Jew haters on this forum I must warn them that the Jews are nicely presented here and have an important part in the movie and that might spoil their viewing experience.

The movie where the Americans captured the German U-boat might have infuriated the Brits. The British Royal Navy captured not one, but two German U-boats. One was even put into service in the RN as HMS Graph. I imagine they wanted to use it for some clandestine purpose. Whether they did or not, I can't say.
The U.S. Navy did, in fact, capture a German U-boat, the U - 505 which is on display in a museum in the U.S. I have seen it there. It is perfectly preserved.

Back