Leadership Tips

tough_girl

Hi, I'm a 17 year old cadet of the Navy JROTC Program. This is my first year in the program. I have already jumped to a platoon Commander position, and given the rank of c/ensign. This is mostly becuase this is a the first year of the program at our school. But my Msgt. is very proud of me and says he has big plans for me next year. Over the summer he is sending me to leadership academy. I'm just a little scared becuase it is supposed to be worse then boot camp. I was told its a tast of Marine Corp D.I. school. But until then I want to make my platoon the best, but I dont have time for stupid misunderstandings or mistakes that could undermind my authority. I'm already having problems with a squad leader who just so happens to be my ex from before I got the position. I don't know how to fix it without taking him out of the pistion. and I cant take him out becuase we are 2 weeks away from anual military inspectio, wich will decide if we continue the program and get another instructer. ok so any tips would be really good. thank you so much!

tough_girl said:
yea thanks for the help guys. Really glad you guys were all able to have an input on helping out a young person found in a new leadership position.*sarcasm*

Lesson number one: Patience.

Lesson number two: It is a bad idea to alienate those that may be willing to assist you.

Lesson number three: When asking for help, it is a bad idea to come across as demanding of an answer immediately.

tough_girl said:
I'm already having problems with a squad leader who just so happens to be my ex from before I got the position.
Maybe it would be helpful to state what kind of problems you have with him?

You want advice? OK, here you go:
What's this person doing that's causing problems? If he is trying to make you look bad by undermining the performance of the unit then cut him lose ASAP. If you're just anticipating problems then you'll have to deal with that yourself. You'll need to evaluate whether your concerns are valid or just your own imagination. It may sound trite to say but a leadership position is not a place from which to make friends. "It's lonely a the top" and " Rank has its responsibilities" are not just sayings. Always lead by example and never compromise your position of leadership by trying to placate every whiny malcontent that come your way and come they will. Because unit performance and the successful completion of the mission are any leader's primary concerns, you're going to step on some toes in the process. You have a choice, deal with it or step aside. Do not allow emotions to come into play when you're doing your job.
One more thing, can the sarcasm is doesn't befit a leader.

Yea that post is like 3 weeks old. Got tired of waiting. Tha anual inspection passed last week. I have patince. but only to a certain point. I was gona delet the post, but once I wrote that every seemed to want to answer... lol.. funny how that works. as soon as I get pissy people start shown up... Tends to make me look like an ass, cause its happened before... :lol:.... yes well thanks for the tips guys. My Msgt told me that he wants me to be a real hard-ass on them for the next 3 weeks since they are tha last ones before summer break. So he wants them to know what to expect at the beginning of next year. lol I'll see what I can do! But I know better then to just yell and scream at them all the time. If I dont like being yelled at then their going to hate it.

Everyone has their own leadership style and you have to find out what works best for you. For some it's acting like a hard ass and yelling and screaming. For others they have a thing called "command presence" where just a look from them will shut you up. Find out your strengths and use them, take your weaknesses and overcome them. You'll be a better person and a better leader because of it. One last thing just because you're a leader doesn't mean you can't also learn from those you lead.

yesterday they wouldnt stop chit chatting after I had already made them do puch ups. So I took them outside were people from school were walking by and I made them hold their hands in the air and say what they did wrong then apologize. Next time I'll really embarass them.

Be very careful to stay away from power trips, though, there is a fine line there, and if you cross it the only thing you will accomplish is to create a good deal of resentment and discontent, which will eventually break down your chain of command if it is allowed to continue and destroy anything you were working for in the first place.

Thats been my main concern lately. I always pass my ideas through the upper leadership. I only get onto them when they know what they have done. The problem is that I have to get the problem before it gets to big. And alot of times when I get at one or 2 of them they do they whole.. "What did I do?" and " I wasn't doin' any thin'!" its funny cause they say this as I'm walking towards them before I have even said anything. I have quite a few of them who have already come up to me and told me that they are happy thay I'm their platoon commander now, and that I should keep doing what I am doing. Makes things a little easier.

tough_girl said:
And alot of times when I get at one or 2 of them they do they whole.. "What did I do?" and " I wasn't doin' any thin'!" its funny cause they say this as I'm walking towards them before I have even said anything.

obviously when they say this, they're guilty of whatever they were trying to deny. that or they have a REALLY guilty concience. Level down with them, tell them to stop acting stupid, that you are very human and that you are well aware that they are acting up. Usually when you express to them you expect better, or speak to them on a very even basis they tend to want to work harder because they feel that your doing this for them as much for yourself, if not more. you have to realize that you cannot be a D.I. and embarrass them all the time- they're not in basic training, they're just in highschool. its good to try and boost their level of esteem by treating them as if they are/could carrying that weight now... just keep that in the back of your mind. talk to them like youre helping not discplining. sometimes being the "hard-ass" is not the most mature- looking way to accomplish teamwork, i should know: i'm in charge of a drill team. i was first sgt. for a year (the person who preps them and keeps them in line)- and that takes a lot of yelling and bitching (pardon my french), and it occasionally leads to them rebelling. talking to them in a "down to earth" tone, and still letting them know its YOU thats in charge seemed to help. for example when they say "what i didnt do anything!" you can respond with " grow up, or listen we dont need this right now." let them know you're human without letting them know your vulnerable. geez i'm not sure if you get anything out of this... its easier to show you.... let me know how things go and maybe i can help. but obviously your SNSI/NSI's hold you in high esteem if youre going to the Leadership Academy. i was to go this summer- and then i transfered. good luck to you.

spartan

Back