Lawmakers Don't Want War On Iran

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Daily News
February 12, 2007
Pg. 22

By Michael McAuliff, Daily News Washington Bureau
WASHINGTON - No one in Congress sounded ready to go to war with Iran yesterday, even as U.S. officials argued Iraq's neighbor is arming insurgents with lethal bombs.
According to reports from Iraq, Iranian-made devices called "explosively formed penetrators" - EFPs for short - have killed 170 American troops in Iraq.
"We should take actions to try to stop them," Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.) said yesterday on CBS' "Face the Nation."
"You do that by interdiction, though. You don't do it by invasion."
Democrats were suspicious yesterday that the military's claims about EFPs - which can punch through a tank - were part of a White House push to lay the groundwork for an attack on Iran.
"I'm very skeptical, based on recent past history about this administration leading us in that direction. It worries me," Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd said on CBS.
One ex-Bush administration official agreed, telling Newsweek that hawks in the White House want an excuse to hit Iran.
"They intend to be as provocative as possible and make the Iranians do something [America] would be forced to retaliate for," said Hillary Mann, the former National Security Council director for Iran.
Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said on "Fox News Sunday" there is no such talk. "There's no indication that any of this has to do with going beyond Iraq," he said.

Nobody wants the United States and Iran to go to war, hence why someone invented diplomacy a long time ago, that doesn't mean we won't go to war, just means we don't want to.

In my own opinion it would be considered prudent that Iran ready itself for an attack any day now, as is the [recent] past modus operandi of the US Government, of saying one thing and doing another.... plus doing and saying things, anything, even things not true to get what has been wanted and planned for.

Although, past performance from this White House suggests that if the Government of Iran is found to be responsible for attacking US Forces on the ground in Iraq, well, this White House may decide to attack Saudi Arabia instead, so no one in the area is safe from attack, in my own opinion.

Back